LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Braking shimmy in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 05:12 PM
richgeo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking shimmy in steering wheel

Just bought a 2008 LS 460 and noticed that I get just a little shimmy in the steering wheel braking at certain speeds. Anybody know what it could be??
Thanks
Old 10-28-10, 05:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

Best case scenario is hard spots on the brake pads. This occurs when new pads are subjected to hard braking. Brake pads do actually need to be broken in by long slow stops for the first 500 miles or so.

In the worst case, the rotors are warped and will need to be replaced. Try new pads first.
Old 10-28-10, 06:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah, i wonder if it's the rotors warped. but if it's still within spec, you can probably resurface the rotors
Old 10-29-10, 12:47 PM
g26
Driver School Candidate

Got the same shimmy.. Braking from higher speeds causes some slight shuddering in the wheel. It doesn't feel like a typical anti-lock activation brake feel, nor have I ever slammed on the brakes. A controlled, higher speed braking action causes the shimmy for me. Also, at very low speeds I can convince myself that the there is also a very slight, barely noticable shimmy, too. Not enough to complain -- my wife cannot notice it.

Last service visit my brakes were in the yellow section of the inspection list so I think a brake job is in my near future.

I've heard on other threads thats this shimmy might just be a normal characteristic of these brakes...not sure if that is accurate, though.

Last edited by g26; 10-29-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 08:00 PM
Atarist
Driver School Candidate

Just bought my car last friday and took it back to the dealer today for the exact same issue with the breaks. Should get it back tomorrow.....will see what they say and do to fix.
Old 11-03-10, 03:36 PM
GHLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Default same problem here

Originally Posted by richgeo
Just bought a 2008 LS 460 and noticed that I get just a little shimmy in the steering wheel braking at certain speeds. Anybody know what it could be??
Thanks
I got the car for two years, never had a problem like this, I belevie that when I changed the brake pad from other auto service center NOT Lexus and start happening. So I bought it the car back to Lexus and Service Rep told me it might be the rotor needs to re-service ( or something). I noticed that if I hit 75-80mph on braking the steering starts shimmy.....Service rep told me that It wouldn't cause any danger ...and rotor needs to re-work.....

If you bought the brand car, I don't think you should have this problem especial this is Luxuary $80....

ps. there's recall on the car...Valve spring
Old 11-03-10, 08:27 PM
Atarist
Driver School Candidate

Picked up the car today and they resurfaced the front rotors. Now breaks as smooth as it rides. Wow......what a car.
Old 11-06-10, 09:29 AM
SilverBell
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Shimmy

Originally Posted by richgeo
Thanks
The 2008 LS460L I just traded in for a 2010, had the exact, same problem. I have had 8, new LS's and I have to say that "THE," number one problem has always been something to do with the brakes. The earlier models used to develop this "growl," just before you came to a stop. The later ones, always seem to have problems with the rotors causing this shimmy. I have a theory: that if you use the cruise control and are going down hills, the system is constantly applying the brakes and they get overheated, but what the heck do I know? If I had kept my '08, the dealer was going to comp new rotors, if I paid for a simple brake job, which was great, but still, the rotors shouldn't CONSTANTLY have this problem. I think that Lexus should fix this problem once and for all with some wonderful brake upgrade. I think that the Brembo brakes should be a stand alone option on all Lexus cars.
Old 11-10-10, 12:51 PM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe laser-cruise equipped cars tap the brakes, but to the best of my knowledge, most cars utilize a cruise control that uses engine braking and off-throttle techniques to slow the car while engaged.

Here in the upper mid-west, as soon as the snow and ice get a decent pack on the road, ABS is tapping the brakes at all 4 corners a lot of the time. . I've actually smelled hot brakes before on my GS after a long freeway jaunt on packed snow. The VSC and traction control work tirelessly to keep you straight via ABS, and that can warm up the brakes. Of course, hitting some slush or puddles can quickly cool them, increasing the chances of warping. And a nice frosting of salt on everything metallic is always nice.

On my '07 LS, brakes have been shimmy-shimmy cocoa puff for 10k miles, especially braking from freeway speeds. Dealer wanted $700 to resurface/lathe/turn existing rotors and replace pads. Instead, I got 4 black finished drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads for about $350 shipped on ebay. Not only do they look great, but they should resist warping for a bit longer.

I'm also out of time. . I am at the beginning of the brake pad wear sensor. The brake pad wear sensors are perishable. . if one alerts, that means its already too late for your brakes and you have to pay to replace the sensor.

Haven't gotten my car back yet (victim of bad valve spring recall work) but I'm excited to try my new rotors out. Previously on my GS, similar rotors resulted in markedly better braking.