LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just bought 2008 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 08:17 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought 2008 LS 460

Hi, I just bought a 2008 LS 460 at Lexus of Escondido. You guys are scaring the crap out of me with all these posts about wind noise and valve spring replacement and sudden engine acceleration. Please tell me I'm not in for 6 years of misery with this thing!

I didn't notice any wind noise on the freeway from Escondido to L.A., is this something that happens over time or if you have the defect would you notice it right away?
Old 11-04-10, 08:42 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should notice it right away. I am assuming you test drove the car...if you didn't hear it...then you're good.
Old 11-04-10, 08:51 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Thanks. Yes I test drove the car on both freeway and surface streets. Then after purchase I drove from Escondido to LA and didn't notice anything. But I wasn't really listening for it.
Old 11-04-10, 01:36 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

You are not in for 6 years of misery with this thing!

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the Club!

As for wind noise, its like the proverbial tree falling in the woods, if you didn't hear it, it didn't happen. I have an '07, car didn't have the wind noise brand new in July '07 and still doesn't have it now.
Old 11-04-10, 02:14 PM
marky2mark
Driver

LOL....thanks. So far, so good.

I see you have a Q45, I had a '02 that I traded in for this Lexus. I also had a '91 Q45. That thing was a tank....loved it.

Another question....just out of curiosity....the LS I bought does not have the Levinson stereo. Is it possible to upgrade to the ML system if I wanted to at some point?
Old 11-04-10, 04:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

I thought I read about this before. Go to this thread, towards the end someone addresses the question.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...extra-doe.html
Old 11-04-10, 04:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on the LS!
Old 11-04-10, 05:09 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I thought I read about this before. Go to this thread, towards the end someone addresses the question.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...extra-doe.html
Thanks. According to that thread you can't upgrade to ML but can go with an aftermarket system. Actually the sound on the stock system isn't bad, but it would be cool to be able to play DVD's.
Old 11-04-10, 05:11 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
congrats on the LS!
Gracias!!!
Old 11-05-10, 02:42 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you be in for 6 years of misery? If you don't like the car, sell it and get something else. There is no law that says you must keep your car for 6 years.
Old 11-05-10, 04:13 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by miniz
Why would you be in for 6 years of misery? If you don't like the car, sell it and get something else. There is no law that says you must keep your car for 6 years.
Yes there is....it's buried in the new Health Care bill....around page 2500.

Just kidding. You're right. I got the extra 3 years on the extended warranty so I'm covered for 6 yrs. That's about how long I usually keep a car.
Old 11-07-10, 12:18 PM
SilverBell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 LS460 problems

Originally Posted by marky2mark
Hi, I just bought a 2008 LS 460 at Lexus of Escondido. You guys are scaring the crap out of me with all these posts about wind noise and valve spring replacement and sudden engine acceleration. Please tell me I'm not in for 6 years of misery with this thing!

I didn't notice any wind noise on the freeway from Escondido to L.A., is this something that happens over time or if you have the defect would you notice it right away?
I had a new '08 LS460L and I never had a wind noise problem. There was this very mild valve clicking noise that I could hear at idle, with the radio off, but it was not annoying. I am the type of guy who usually complains to the dealer about any little problem, but this valve clicking noise was not even bad enough to mention. The one problem I did have, was the clicking from the brake actuator. I believe they have a new part for that now, so if you are still under warranty and you have the problem, they should fix it. Other than that, a very nice car. Good luck with yours.
Old 11-08-10, 06:06 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBell
I had a new '08 LS460L and I never had a wind noise problem. There was this very mild valve clicking noise that I could hear at idle, with the radio off, but it was not annoying. I am the type of guy who usually complains to the dealer about any little problem, but this valve clicking noise was not even bad enough to mention. The one problem I did have, was the clicking from the brake actuator. I believe they have a new part for that now, so if you are still under warranty and you have the problem, they should fix it. Other than that, a very nice car. Good luck with yours.
Thanks! I was at the dealer Saturday to get the extra key fob programmed, he said if you don't have a serious wind noise problem you should leave it alone, as sometimes the fix they do makes it worse. Also very happy to find out that the dealer I bought the car from did the valve spring replacement before I got the car.

One thing that annoys me is that neither the dealer I bought the car from nor the one I went to for the key fob would turn off the stupid seat belt chime. I told him the quick ref guide that came with the car said the dealer could turn it off, but he says nobody in their service dept knew how to do it. I don't know if they really don't know how or they just don't want to do it for liability reasons. He said their service dept would do some more "research" to see if it could be done.
Old 11-08-10, 06:44 PM
SilverBell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marky2mark
Thanks! I was at the dealer Saturday to get the extra key fob programmed, he said if you don't have a serious wind noise problem you should leave it alone, as sometimes the fix they do makes it worse. Also very happy to find out that the dealer I bought the car from did the valve spring replacement before I got the car.

One thing that annoys me is that neither the dealer I bought the car from nor the one I went to for the key fob would turn off the stupid seat belt chime. I told him the quick ref guide that came with the car said the dealer could turn it off, but he says nobody in their service dept knew how to do it. I don't know if they really don't know how or they just don't want to do it for liability reasons. He said their service dept would do some more "research" to see if it could be done.
I have never heard of being able to turn off the seat bell chime. As we all know, Lexus is SCARED TO DEATH of liability claims, so I don't see being able to turn that off. On my 2010, I have noticed that if I drive for a block or two and the seat belt chime goes nuts, if I put the car in park, open the door and they drive off again, WITHOUT my seatbelt fastened, the chime rings just once and then stops. I'm doing real estate right now, so when I put out the signs, I am driving maybe one block, then stopping, opening the trunk, closing the trunk and then driving another block. Too much trouble to fasten the seat belt each time.
Old 11-09-10, 02:33 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Look at the last item on the attached list that is part of the quick guide. It is supposed to be a personalized setting that can be changed by the dealer
Attached Thumbnails Just bought 2008 LS 460-lexuspersonalizationsettingspage2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just bought 2008 LS 460