LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Dealerships for the Valve Spring Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 03:42 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received the letter regarding the recall. It included the $1,500.00 voucher plus it also said that the powertrain warranty was being extended to 6 years / 100,000 miles. Did everyone else get that same warranty extension?
Old 11-10-10, 03:58 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Seems like this thread got tangented into the $1,500 voucher. Are there any Orange County dealerships that could be recommended for this valve spring replacement?
Old 11-10-10, 05:00 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Seems like this thread got tangented ...
It does seem to have taken that turn, and I take some blame for that.

I'd be interested in Midwest dealerships with a highly recommended tech for this work. I have at least four choices within a reasonable drive; Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis and Cincinnati. Viewing the pictures of RocketSlug's vehicle with the engine totally removed (Cincinnati dealer???) has me a bit nervous.
Old 11-11-10, 05:01 PM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve Spring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEWARE!!
One month ago I had the recall for my 08 LS 460 completed on this vehicle that I enjoyed as a lease for three years. A few days later I had to drive the vehicle 1500 miles each way with my three children to visit my ailing 90 year old Grandmother. Late the first day the vehicle started hesitating, couldn't accelerate past 60 mph or it would not go any faster. loud noise from engine, without panel notification. When I arrived at my destination I immediately brought it to a Lexus dealer and was told " the recall parts were defective and we have to replace the left lifter that's bleeding." They had the car for three days. When I returned to pick it up I was told " the previous Lexus dealership broke your radiator overflow tab and repaired it with super glue so we reinforced with superglue/epoxy but you will need a new radiator when you return home. In SHOCK I stated " A 72 K Lexus repaired with super glue?? That's unacceptable and I will complain with an investigation. Will my children and I be safe traveling back 1500 miles?" I was assured "Yes".

Needless to say the second day while I was driving on the highway where there was construction and no breakdown lane the engine overheated, panel warnings on, smoke. We jumped out of the vehicle called Lexus immediately and when we lifted the hood antifreeze was all over the engine and the hose was broken sticking up in the air. We were stranded for three hours and the vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership 50 miles where it still sits after 3 weeks and I'm still responsible for this lease that expired 2 weeks ago without any vehicle. I'm VERY thankful my children and I are safe from this ordeal. I wanted everyone to be aware of these very dangerous repairs, incompetence, negligence without compensation except for a $1500 credit for lease/purchase that was issued regarding the initial recall, NOT the ordeal my family went through, and continue to go through without resolve.
Old 11-11-10, 05:54 PM
StylinGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 LS460 which I bought brand new in September 2007. I only have 10,905 miles on the car. Knock on wood, everything seem to be running great so far. I also received the valve spring recall notice but I'm scare to take my car to a dealer for a valve spring replacement. Just like the previous reply. The dealer damage his radiator overflow cap and tried to fix it with a super glue. The dealer is not going to tell us anything if they damage anything else while replacing the valve spring. That's why I'm scare.

Just in case I want to get my valve spring replace. Does anyone know which dealership is good to make this fix in San Diego, Los Angles or Orange County, CA? Westmister Lexus? Longo Lexus? Kearny Mesa Lexus? Escondido Lexus?
Old 11-11-10, 05:58 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Sorry to hear about your horrendous road trip ccardan, but I'm glad you didn't mention the dealership since they are not here to defend themselves. I find it hard to believe a dealership would condone such repairs, but I could see an individual mechanic screwing up and not wanting to admit to the dealership that they have to replace a radiator. Superglue is completely unacceptable, duct tape sure, but not superglue!

I don't lease my cars so I'm not too familiar with them, but I wonder why you are still responsible for the lease if it expired 2 weeks ago. I thought that was supposed to be one benefit of a lease, when its up you just walk away from the car, especially if its a lemon.

Welcome to the Club, btw. Though I was also wondering why you just joined after leasing the LS for the last couple years.
Old 11-11-10, 06:20 PM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve Spring

This is my first lease, and I wasn't aware of the forum until I had the problems listed. Before that I enjoyed the vehicle and was considering purchasing, or leasing another.

I too thought that the vehicle wasn't my responsibity any longer with the circumstances, and the expiration of the lease but my Husband quickly informed me that until the vehicle is " Grounded " (someone driving it back 600miles and turned over to the original dealership) then we're responsible for it, and the insurance. FYI to all.
Old 11-11-10, 08:15 PM
dyeelitt
Driver School Candidate

Default Orange County Dealership

I had the Valve Spring Recall performed about a month ago at what was called Park Place Lexus Mission Viejo. They did a great job. The Service Advisor told me to bring the car in on empty becuase Lexus will fill it up with Gas as part of the recall. This dealership has been servicing my cars since 2004 and has for the 2nd time in 4 years changed ownership. This dealer also did the Steering recall and the TSBs on the wind noise, glove box airbag problem and several other items. the Dealership does good work, helped me with tire issues, I tried 3 sets of Michelin tires, 2 sets of Pilot Sport AS, one set of Symmetry and finally bought Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. The car would pull to the right wiht the Michelins. They cross rotated, checked the allignment, did everything and then finally put a set of tires from a used car and the car drove fine. I bought the tires at Costco and they were great by replacing the tires andthe dealer didn't charge me anythign other than the alignment. The Service Advisor I have been using is no longer there but there are a couple of others that I have dealt with in the past so I will probably keep going back. It is also convenient to where I live. I'll be glad to help anyone who needs help with this dealership.

I also received the letter for the $1500 discount to be used within 1 year and they also gave an extended warranty on the drivetrain for i think 7 years and 100,000 miles.
Old 11-12-10, 03:44 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Does anyone have any experience with Nalley Lexus in Smyrna Georgia?
Old 12-01-10, 02:23 PM
yipster222
Rookie

Any other good dealers in the Los Angeles area that can be recommended for the VSR?

Glendale or Longo?
Old 12-01-10, 06:50 PM
mocon1422
Driver School Candidate

I bought my ls460l about 3 months ago. Never was disclosed it had a recall for a valve job or I wouldnt have bought it. Anyway, jm lexus in margate florida did mine. Drove it 300 miles and smoke was pooring from engine. Took it back in and they said their was an issue with number 7 cylinder wire. Fixed that and now I heard a dry knock at start up but they couldnt duplicate it. I did get free tank of gas, they replaced cabin filter and didnt charge labor and they also sent me the 500 certificate and 1500 dollar incentive for new car which is useless as I just bought that car. I do like JM Lexus as they are always willing to fix any issue and are timely about it, Plus I got a nice RX350 Loaner for 3 days. So if I had time back I would have done nothing because it was running perfect prior to them messing with it. I noticed many of you refered to a Steering recall and the TSBs on the wind noise, glove box airbag problem, Are these other recalls for a 2007 ls460l? What are they? Please explain so I can get fixed if need be, thanks
Old 12-17-10, 11:29 PM
baysurfer
Driver School Candidate

Question Hampton Roads dealers

We have Charles Barker Lexus in Virgina Beach and Newport News. I live close to the Newport News one but the Va. Beach one serviced my car for the original owner.
Does anyone have any good/bad experience with the VSR between these two dealerships? Although VSR and TSB are free, when I have items to pay for, Newport News is more expensive ($599 30K service at Va. Beach vs. $750 30K service at Newport News). So I am leaning toward driving the extra miles to Va. Beach to give them my business. (Unless the work is bad at both and I have to drive to Richmond)
Old 12-18-10, 07:45 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yipster222
Any other good dealers in the Los Angeles area that can be recommended for the VSR?

Glendale or Longo?
Glendale and Longo both have good reputations. I used Crown in Ontario, which may be a hike for you, but they do excellent work and I like JR as my service manager, you get a loaner, so maybe this distance is not an issue. I know they are backed up now till about April of 2011

Last edited by cmasten; 12-20-10 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 02:54 PM
topgun04
Driver

I did something difference. I sold my leased 08 LS460 SWB back to a dealer and they are going to pay off my lease (lease will terminate in 12/2011). And I am in the process of trying to get a 2011 LS460 with the same options. Opening up the engine for a couple years old car is not my kind of fun thing to do. I received the $1500 coupon and I figure that I can save between $90-100 a months in lease payment (with all the fee roll into lease payment. from about $1030 a month) by using the $1500 coupon, reducing my mileage from 15K a year to 12K a year, and take advantage of the lower MF in December to remember events. Will see how it pan out...
Old 12-20-10, 04:59 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Good luck on getting the deal you want & my future congrats on your 2011 LS460!

Quick Reply: Best Dealerships for the Valve Spring Replacement