LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 07:58 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think it is the cgarage a "non-reporting sens" (because the sensor battery has failed) and seems like the way it works is that if any of the five sensors fail to report for 30 minutes then it is considered a system failure. Normally the sensors report the tire pressures every 30 seconds or minute or so but for lots of different reasons the car can miss some of those reports without sensing a problem. You can test this for yourself by taking your spare out and leaving it in the garage. If the car gets a pressure report from the spare before you drive away then if you continue to drive you will have 5 pressures displayed until the 30 minute mark and then system alarm. Then if you stop, out of range of the spare, and turn your ignition off and then restart the car you will have four pressures displayed and the fifth display will show something like "checking" until the 30 minute mark and then it will display system alarm.

If you started in your garage with one sensor not reporting then you would have 4 pressures displayed and the fifth sensor would show "checking" until you have driven 30 minutes and then system alarm.

Since I am old and my memory is not as good as it once was then the 30 minutes may not be the right number. Here is your chance to try this out and tell us if it works that way or even better how it works.

A flat tire is not a non-reporting sensor - it is a sensor reporting a low pressure.
This is accurate. I had my TPMS wheels in garage for a short time and it would read tires even though those weren't mounted. Drive to work about 15 mins away..no error. Drive home..no error. Until I was way far out..more than 30 mins away or so, the error would appear. Great write up jmcraney!
Old 10-09-12, 06:57 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

so the batteries arent replaceable? i mean if u have to dismount the tire anyway.. cant i just swap out a new battery or do i have to buy a new sensor.. 2nd if i do buy a new sensor how do i know i wont have to buy another 1 in 6months...
Old 10-09-12, 07:56 AM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
so the batteries arent replaceable? i mean if u have to dismount the tire anyway.. cant i just swap out a new battery or do i have to buy a new sensor.. 2nd if i do buy a new sensor how do i know i wont have to buy another 1 in 6months...
As far as I know all of the sensors are sealed and it is not practical to replace the battery. If your other question is in the context of "will the other sensor batteries fail soon?" the answer is a little more complex. If you car is a '07 model and none of the sensors have so far been replaced then it might be appropriate to replace all five sensors at the same time.

Here is a link to an article that will help you understand the issue: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/OE_TPMS_Li...ancy_a/283.htm

If your lifestyle is such that replacing the sensors one at a time is not an inconvenience then you might want to wait until they fail.

You need to keep in mind that cars with a failed TPMS will not pass most State's annual inspection requirements. Even if it is not required by your state, it provides a significant safety enhancement and is certainly worth the cost to maintain its functionality.

There is a wide range of price options for replacing 5 sensors. The sensors range in price from about $45 to $80 depending on the source - CJITTY has provided some very good information on sensor price options in his post above. In addition to the sensor cost, there is labor and programming cost and depending on if you are not a DIYer that may range up to $25 or more per wheel. And depending on where you are located there may be tax on sensors and/or labor. Getting the sensors replaced at a Lexus dealer is probably the most expensive option. These sensors are ubiquitous and nearly all tire dealers are now equipped to replaced them so if you are going to hire this done I suggest that you shop around for the best price.

I have mixed feelings about the cloned sensor IDs. It is a great convenience and it is innocuous when failed sensors are replaced with cloned sensors. However when the cloned sensors are used with a second set of tires then that might prove to be problematic for the unsophisticated.