LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460 vs Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 07:28 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS460 vs Hyundai Equus

Is it just me, or does the Equus have styling (both Exterior AND Interior) very similar to the LS?

I mean, they even take a stab at Lexus with this line I found on their website:

"The 12-way adjustable driver seat is heated, cooled, and has a massage—something you won’t find on the Lexus LS 460."

Don't get me wrong, the car does look nice. I just don't know much about Korean cars and its reliability. I'm at the website, and the car just looks like a rip off of the LS.

The body looks similar, the exhaust is practically stolen, the Executive package is practically there with even the reclining seat! Can't Lexus sue or something, for a different car make practically copying one of its cars?

(Off topic: Whens the new LS going to arrive?)
Old 12-07-10, 07:43 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

It's taking more shots at Lexus than any other make:

"The Tau® 4.6L V8 won a Ward’s 10 Best Engines award in both 2009 and 2010.
No other V8 competitor can claim that—not Lexus, not Mercedes. "

"An upgrade on the Lexus LS 460, Electronic Air Suspension is standard on the Equus. "

"The more airbags, the safer the occupants. Equus has more standard airbags than the Lexus LS 460 or the BMW 750i. "

"The 12-way adjustable driver seat is heated, cooled, and has a massage—something you won’t find on the Lexus LS 460."

"And a 608-watt Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Surround Sound audio system with more standard speakers than BMW 7 Series or Lexus LS 460."

^Just, wow.
Old 12-07-10, 07:43 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol you are just realizing this now?

Hyundai has been gunning for Lexus for a while now. In fact, the Genesis is their version of not only the LS, but also culminations of a bunch of large sedans from a variety of makes. you will find bmw's idrive in there, S class headlights, LS exec package, S class center dash, LS exhausts, bmw trunk lid, etc. Also has a 4.6 liter putting out almost the same hp figures as the LS.

to sum up: its good value, but its obvious that it is a carbon copy of other makes, and it doesnt quite feel as good
Old 12-07-10, 07:46 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol you are just realizing this now?

Hyundai has been gunning for Lexus for a while now. In fact, the Genesis is their version of not only the LS, but also culminations of a bunch of large sedans from a variety of makes. you will find bmw's idrive in there, S class headlights, LS exec package, S class center dash, LS exhausts, bmw trunk lid, etc. Also has a 4.6 liter putting out almost the same hp figures as the LS.

to sum up: its good value, but its obvious that it is a carbon copy of other makes, and it doesnt quite feel as good
Lol, yes! I mean, I don't have a reason to go look at Hyundai because I never really had much interest in it.

I agree with your last statement, its a copy of Lexus (and other brands), and even though I've never driven or owned a hyundai before, I'll take your word for it that it doesn't feel as good.
Old 12-07-10, 08:53 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one will beat Lexus at their own game. They said that about Mercedes, but Lexus did it. Do you think Hyundai will do it? I don't. With new models coming I don't think Lexus will take a back seat to any Luxury player, especially not newcomer Hyundai.
Old 12-07-10, 09:33 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

The design theme's of the two cars are totally different, the equus has the fender bulge and the quarter bulge, where as the ls460 does not.

the quarter panel section of the two cars are totally different and follow two totally different design philosophies.

if your going to accuse a car of a copy cat, then at least get the copy cat right. It's more a copy of a certain bentley than anything else but even then there are so many cars that follow that design cue.

Originally Posted by Incredible
Is it just me, or does the Equus have styling (both Exterior AND Interior) very similar to the LS?

I mean, they even take a stab at Lexus with this line I found on their website:

Don't get me wrong, the car does look nice. I just don't know much about Korean cars and its reliability. I'm at the website, and the car just looks like a rip off of the LS.

The body looks similar, the exhaust is practically stolen, the Executive package is practically there with even the reclining seat! Can't Lexus sue or something, for a different car make practically copying one of its cars?

(Off topic: Whens the new LS going to arrive?)
Old 12-07-10, 09:45 PM
LexFather

In a recent issue of Bloomberg (or Forbes) that I have the opening page has something like "Game changers" and lists famous/powerful guys that changed the industry and its sponsored by Hyundai.

They show the rear of the Equus and state at the bottom something like" BMW, BEnz, Lexus have a new Hyundai to compete with"...I need to post it exactly.

As for it vs the LS I'm sure it will be a good car but it just seems like a Lexus LS design they passed on inside and out last generation. No thanks, not for me.

I really didn't realize how good the current LS is until experiencing it again recently. Amazing flagship.

Old 12-07-10, 09:48 PM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

In my opinion, it may be easy to make waves in the family sedan/sports car/entry level lux segment, but up here, playing with the big boys isn't going to yeield the same easy success and positive press that Hyundai has been garnering lately. "mee-too-ism" in this class, of D-ships, is not exactly looked highly upon. I have sat in the Equus and yeah it's nice, but it's no 7/S/A8/LS in terms of design originality or material quality. It also doesn't drive very well, as per every review. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-07-10, 10:36 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I have to say, 4 years old LS still looks better than knocked-off Equus. Their features are standard because it's new model, and the LS? Like I stated, 4 year old model. If I have 70K to spend, I would pick German or Japanese girlfriend over Korean one.
Old 12-07-10, 11:40 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Hyndai is really ough to get lexus, check out they're warranty and they're valet services http://www.hyundaiusa.com/equus/services.aspx LEXUS WE NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-10, 12:23 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

May have more features available or standard but it's still a Hyundai, don't get me wrong they've been coming out with great cars lately, but i'd still roll in a Lexus LS 460 or the LS 430 for that matter before I consider a Equus. It reminds me of VW trying to be upmarket with Phaetom sorry it's just not for me.
Old 12-08-10, 12:37 AM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

at least the Phaeton was a seemingly legitimate competitor though (12 Cylinder engine, etc.)...it was essentially a Bentley Continental in guise - handmade in a glass factory with a host of "worlds firsts". The Equus is a huge "me too" half priced D-ship wannabe. sorry to say.
Old 12-08-10, 09:15 AM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

it will all come down to resale, untill then the lexus is still the king
Old 12-08-10, 10:48 AM
WAES300
Driver

Remember the Azera? People were saying it was a Lexus without the badge. Looking at used car prices, I see 2006 Azera's going for 10-12K while 2006 ES's go for 15-20K, or 2006 Avalons for a similar price as the ES's. Point being I would like to own a car without the value going down the tubes, especially on a more expensive car. It'll just have to prove itself, looks like a nice car nonetheless, even if it's very unoriginal.
Old 12-08-10, 11:14 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

LS460 vs. Equus thread #: 5489385934765975843758

Let's not continue to beat a dead horse... or in this case, beat it to death, shoot it, blow it up, slice and dice it, and then throw a water balloon at it for good measure.

The LS is a remarkable car. It's design, innovation, and build are top-of-the-line. End of story. It continues to serve as the bench mark for other luxury car makers and it definitely fills its position as Lexus's flagship.

Hyundai has got a long way to go. But they've also come a long way. Just look at a short 10 year history on the car maker and you'll see all the amazing strides they've made. The quality of their cars have improved immensely. They lack innovation, but the average Joe won't complain when he gets similar (maybe not as good, but decent) technology, comfort, and look as other higher-priced alternatives. Hyundai is trying to pullout from their image as a bargain car maker, but as of now, they're still exactly that.

Give Hyundai time. They've already surpassed (and not to mention embarrassed) other tier 2 and tier 3 luxury makers (*cough* Acura *cough*). Lexus, Benz, BMW, and Audi are the next level. It only makes sense for them to be gunning for Lexus.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS460 vs Hyundai Equus