LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

navi override

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 07:27 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default navi override

I was going to get the navi override but I got a "No override" from the other half...

anyways, usually I don't use the override features 95% of the time...but that one time does get a little annoying. Anyways, the car either have to be in "park" or with parking brake engaged for all the functions to work.
With aftermarket systems, all you have to do is ground the parking brake wires and that will trick the system and give you all the features. I think we can do the same with the Lexus...without having to shell out mad money for the override system.

prob is I don't have the service manual and have no idea which wire is the parking brake wire (from the navi unit, not the actual parking brake).
Old 12-14-10, 08:07 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grounding the parking brake will not work as the system is also relying on Satellite signal and speed sensor. Nav Kit from PS cuts the signal w/out cutting the wires (Plug-Play clean solution).
Old 12-14-10, 08:13 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

...and so that's why I "override" my wife's back and purchase the kit from you
Old 12-14-10, 08:23 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an Eclipse AVN 6620. Pretty much just an older model, and not as refined as the one in the LS. dimapb is correct. You cannot just ground out the parking brake wire. You will have to use the PS kit.
Old 12-14-10, 08:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

grounding the parking brake won't do you much except enabling the video
Old 12-14-10, 08:28 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

I have Eclipse AVN5510 in my 07 TUndra and grounding parking brake works..every features works continuously. I guess the newer version and the Lexus is different.
Old 12-14-10, 08:33 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gotta love Eclipse though. It says something when a LUXURY automaker signs a contract with an Audio-Visual company to make Navi units for their cars. The combination is pretty nice. I can't wait til I find the "right" car for me. Still looking, but being patient.
Old 12-14-10, 09:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would trust rominl. He really knows his stuff. Even that is probably an understatement. I will heading to Cali in a few months and Henry will be installing my ipod adapter and most likely a nav override as well. I agree that I probably will not use the override as much as I think I will so I am kind of up in the air on that .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-14-10 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 10:17 AM
JSTALEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would trust rominl. He really knows his stuff. Even that is probably an understatement. I will heading to Cali in a few months and Henry will be installing my ipod adapter and most likely a nav override as well. I agree that I probably will not use the override as much as I think I will so I am kind of up in the air on that . Henry does nav override and ipod adapter installs at his shop. Take his word for it
Not only does Rominl know his shlt, but he pampers your car with nothing but respect! He not only installed my Nav-OverRide, but my Air Module and IPod Adapter. Let me watch it all and taught me how to use everything.
I heard he just got a new employee on the payroll last month!
Old 12-14-10, 10:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha you guys giving me way too much credit. i am learning along the way as well, just like to ask questions and always think about how things work. and actually i think i will need to start selling blood very soon just so i can feed my newborn who seems to want to eat all the time!!!

back on topic, the factory navigation system is more complex then aftermarket, because it uses more different signals from the car and antenna to determine the state. that's why overriding it is more involved in general. it's not impossible (with cutting wire method), but after all the studying and work, i overall find doing the ps override to be easiest. plug and play, no need to worry about warranty, and it looks good as well
Old 12-14-10, 03:17 PM
vancouverl
Driver

where have you found the best place to place the overide button on ls460l
thanks
Old 12-14-10, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by vancouverl
where have you found the best place to place the overide button on ls460l
thanks
do you like it to be more exposed or more concealed? exposed would be easier to use, concealed would be harder to access
Old 12-14-10, 04:43 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Where is best for concealed and where is best for exposed?
I am leaning toward exposed so the passenger can access.
Old 12-14-10, 04:52 PM
vancouverl
Driver

I think exposed . In their video it looked like they had it hooked up to one of the stock navi buttons different car I guess
Old 12-14-10, 05:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for exposed on ls460, i think on the radio face plate where it meets the ashtray, on the side it's black in color (where the MP3, dolbe digital, etc... are), that area is black and good location. for black interior like mine, sometimes people like it on the side of the center console above the leather panel.

for concealed, i always do it right inside the center armrest. i have a way to run the cable so i don't have to cut / drill any panels (never like that idea) and maintain a clean install

Quick Reply: navi override