LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS460 Vossen wheel transformation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 08:20 AM
Flapjack1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vossens look great on your car but I have two questions since I am considering new wheels.
- Did you re-calibrate the speedo because of the bigger tire dimension and secondly why did you stagger them rather than have both the same diameter to you could rotate. I know the deep dish looks good buy why not on all 4?
Thanks!
Old 03-07-11, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) if you choose the right tire, the overall diameter won't change much and there is no need to recalibrate anything. i never recalibrate any of the speedos in my cars
2) for rwd, staggered setup means the rear is wide and with different offsets it will fit a lot better. if you get same wheels front and rear, the rear will be more sucken in because the rear fenders are wider and more outward. staggered setup also helps on handling because these cars are rwd
Old 03-07-11, 10:57 AM
Flapjack1
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by rominl
1) if you choose the right tire, the overall diameter won't change much and there is no need to recalibrate anything. i never recalibrate any of the speedos in my cars
2) for rwd, staggered setup means the rear is wide and with different offsets it will fit a lot better. if you get same wheels front and rear, the rear will be more sucken in because the rear fenders are wider and more outward. staggered setup also helps on handling because these cars are rwd
Thanks, but I am well aware of what it means to stagger wheels on a car. My 750 had staggered 20s stock and that was a PITA because it chewed through the shoes about every 20k miles.
I was asking the OP why he did not just go with the same with dimension wheels on all four so he could have rotated them to get more longevity.
No offense but staggering the rear wheels on a LS460 is not going to help this tank corner any better. If anything it makes the wheels more diffcult to keep balanced (dynamic balance vs. static). If done right the weights will be in the middle of the wheel and not toward the edge of the rim, most tire shops don't understand this concept.
Old 03-08-11, 12:22 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flapjack1
Thanks, but I am well aware of what it means to stagger wheels on a car. My 750 had staggered 20s stock and that was a PITA because it chewed through the shoes about every 20k miles.
I was asking the OP why he did not just go with the same with dimension wheels on all four so he could have rotated them to get more longevity.
No offense but staggering the rear wheels on a LS460 is not going to help this tank corner any better. If anything it makes the wheels more diffcult to keep balanced (dynamic balance vs. static). If done right the weights will be in the middle of the wheel and not toward the edge of the rim, most tire shops don't understand this concept.

and it just looks cooler, you forgot about that with all your intelligence of wheels and weights and so forth. j/k

staggard wheels fill the wheel wells better especially from a profile perspective .
Old 03-08-11, 02:51 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20k isn't bad -- i was getting about 10k on my Q45 before i had to flip tires (with that caveat that my car had an absurd alignment)

anyway, depending on what kind of tires you're running, 20k is well in line with expected longevity. if you were running non-UHP all seasons, was your alignment off?
Old 03-09-11, 08:05 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You didn't go through a set of tires in 20K miles because of a staggered setup. Most likely because it was the tire you were using. I didn't want so have the same offsets on all 4 wheels because I bought bigger wheels to make the car look better. I think a staggered setup looks more aggressive. My car does have better handling now than when I got it.
Old 03-09-11, 02:59 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I forgot to mention with the 22's being a larger tire diameter, it comes out to when my spedo says 60, I'm really doing 62. That's not that bad. I'd be more concerned about it if it was showing more miles being put on than driven.
Old 09-23-11, 02:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

any members with any of the concave designs. I thought we were waiting for a member with the concaves to drop his LS and post some pics.
Old 09-28-11, 12:20 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice ride.

The new wheels look kinda purr-fect !

Enjoy !

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 09-28-11, 01:37 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
any members with any of the concave designs. I thought we were waiting for a member with the concaves to drop his LS and post some pics.
LOL yes i still have not installed the springs yet i just got really busy lately and kinda forgot... but i think im going let the dealership install them on my next visit ( probably a week from now)
Old 09-29-11, 11:15 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

No pressure buddy.. Whenever you do get it done please post some pics so we can drool. I am still holding off on a drop.
Old 09-29-11, 01:32 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
There is a silver LS with the air controller (i think) dropped on CV1s...or are we talking about something else here?