LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Poor Traction in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 07:11 AM
milkmilk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Traction in Snow

Bought my 2008 LS460 a few months back. Over last week have had a chance to drive it in the snow. I've had real difficulty driving. Going up small inclines has been difficult. Driving straight done a road, car tends to spin and slide out alot.

Have had snow swith on but doesn't help much. Have thought i would get stuck many many times so far.

Is there a trick to these LS460's or do i just need really good snow tires.

Current tires only have 15,000 miles on them.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-10, 07:30 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

rear wheel drive cars and snow is rarely a good mix without solid good snow tires. For more extreme climates, studded snows are even better. Some all season tires are ok, but when it comes to snow and ice, snow tires are a must. I have been in plenty of cold climates..which is why i moved to the south lol.
Old 12-16-10, 10:11 AM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

You need really good snow tires. I've used Blizzaks and Artic Alpins on my wife's rear drive cars and they work great. As for tricks, it would be a good idea to put as much weight as you can in the trunk.
Old 12-16-10, 11:00 AM
snoylekim
Rookie

Not sure how effective it is yet, but I've used the 'snow' ect mode , which I believe starts in a higher gear ( 2 or 3 versus 1st) and mellows out the shift points ... so far , i've been OK in light snow/slush w/ All Seasons ...but I don't venture out in the heavy stuff ..
Old 12-16-10, 12:48 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

My LS 460 sits in the garage in the snow. I drive my SUV in the snow. My LS is terrible in the snow...
Old 12-16-10, 01:53 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Poor Traction is an over statement
No traction would be a better description..
Old 12-16-10, 02:58 PM
iceburg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
My LS 460 sits in the garage in the snow. I drive my SUV in the snow. My LS is terrible in the snow...
Ditto. Even with only a couple inches of snow in the DC area today, the LS was benched this morning.
Old 12-16-10, 05:54 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It snowed today just a dusting, I got caught buy surprise an hour away....my car has brand new all weather tires and the car is down right dangerous. I was the only car all over the road...very disappointing but seriously DANGEROUS. Dry roads....awsome touring car. Reminds me of a corvette I owed.

I had 3 generations of 7 series BMW's...much better in the snow, at least controllable.

Next fall I'm going to buy a used BMW X5 sport for the winter or seriously may sell the LS and just buy an SUV.

Up to list point in the snow I get a ride from my wife in her GL 450...unstopable SUV.
Old 12-16-10, 06:44 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

I had 3 generations of 7 series BMW's...much better in the snow, at least controllable.

Assuming these were RWD and had the same all weather tires, I wonder why they handle much better in the snow? Maybe they weighed more than this car? I also wonder if the weight distribution is different for the two cars.

Many years ago we had a couple company cars. One was an Olds Omega and the other a Cutlass. The bigger and heavier Cutlass definitely did better in the snow. Putting weight in the trunk of the Omega helped, but it still didn't perform like the Cutlass.
Old 12-17-10, 08:54 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
It snowed today just a dusting, I got caught buy surprise an hour away....my car has brand new all weather tires and the car is down right dangerous. I was the only car all over the road...very disappointing but seriously DANGEROUS. Dry roads....awsome touring car. Reminds me of a corvette I owed.

Next fall I'm going to buy a used BMW X5 sport for the winter or seriously may sell the LS and just buy an SUV.

Up to list point in the snow I get a ride from my wife in her GL 450...unstopable SUV.
Now they make the LS 460 with all wheel drive. It still sits low to the ground, so I don't know how good it would be in the snow. A couple of years ago, I was caught in two inches of snow and yes, it was dangerous. I sold my 2009 BMW X5 for my GX 460. The X5 was always in the shop. It was neither durable or reliable...
Old 12-17-10, 09:35 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Please don't shoot this messenger, but I've owned 6 LS cars over the years, five before all wheel drive. I live in steep snowy Pittsburgh and the non AWD cars WERE INDEED pretty worthless in snow. I agree with Strad, however, that the AWD version, mine is a 2009, is the best snow vehicle I've ever driven and that includes Audi, Subaru, Explorer and my wifes 2006 RX330. And that's with the OEM all season tires....nothing special foe winter. I will note, however, that AWD gets about 1.5 MPG less in the city...about 16MPG vs 17.5 on the old 2007 RWD LS460.

All of that being said I suggest you get Blizzacks instead of an immediate trade in. Might be a cheapish intermediate solution to an otherwise costly problem. You might decide that the car on BLIZZACKS is good enough to keep for a few years. I'd say it's a decent $600 or so risk/reward equation.
Old 12-18-10, 09:17 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

I live in Golden, CO up against the mountains. We get as much snow here as most anywhere.
I have an '08 LS460. I have an extra set of wheels with Michelin X-Ice tires mounted all the way around and they do fine.
On the rare occasion we have more than a 12" snowfall I take the 4WD S-10 pickup, only because I'd rather see it get hit than the LS.

Whit
Old 12-19-10, 10:16 AM
garyr
Pole Position

I guess what really makes my LS dangerous is the traction control will slip just fine but for some reason when it comes back on it must put power to one wheel more than the other because my car will skid to one side.. always trying to spin the car around.

I can only compare it to other rear wheel cars I had like my 7....the traction control would come on in the snow and the car would still track straight no matter on ice or snow, not my LS.

If I think back on it the engine on my 7 would also lower the rpm when the wheel lost traction...thats one thing that worked perfectly on the car.
Old 12-19-10, 03:17 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had to drive my LS in the snow it would have snow tires on it. It's worth the extra safety. You can usually get by if you don't have much snow or drive like an 80yr old man.
Old 12-19-10, 06:30 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a full set of blizzaks on my LS last winter. They are great for snow and ice. I threw a couple 75lb sand tubes in the trunk and kept a full tank of gas for added weight. I have been through some seriously deep snow (as you can see from the pic) and am more confident in this car than our Traverse AWD.
I rarely use the snow mode with my snow tires on. Stopping is great as well. My biggest concern would be the sand blasting I get from large trucks. LAUGHING. Good luck to you.

Originally Posted by milkmilk
Bought my 2008 LS460 a few months back. Over last week have had a chance to drive it in the snow. I've had real difficulty driving. Going up small inclines has been difficult. Driving straight done a road, car tends to spin and slide out alot.

Have had snow swith on but doesn't help much. Have thought i would get stuck many many times so far.

Is there a trick to these LS460's or do i just need really good snow tires.

Current tires only have 15,000 miles on them.

any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Traction in Snow-img_0862.jpg  

Last edited by 460LCHI; 12-19-10 at 06:35 PM. Reason: addition