LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Failure AND Traction Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 06:16 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Failure AND Traction Light

Has anyone had their brake pedal go to the floor and the traction light come on at the same time? When I say go to the floor I mean go to the floor with no ABS feel, no noise, no dash indicators??
I was pulling into my garage, foot off the gas, with my foot on the brake when the pedal went to the floor and the traction light came on, there was a slight surge of power, the pedal was still to the floor, and the car ran into the cabinets which stopped the vehicle causing damage to the car, and destroying the cabinets. I had the car towed.
The mats were clipped in, the pads are fine, all scheduled service has been performed, and currently I am at about 49K miles. The garage floor is level, the floor was dry.
Please, if anyone has had anything remotely close to this occur I would greatly appreciate your feed back.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Failure AND Traction Light-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by 460LCHI; 12-19-10 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-19-10, 06:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it sounds like either there is air in the lines, or the brake pump failed?
Old 12-19-10, 06:39 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

No clue. I just finished up at 13K road trip over the past 4 months without an issue. I hate it occurred, but it is best that it was in my own garage and not somewhere else with people around. Thanks man.
Old 12-19-10, 06:40 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Please report your experience to the NHTSA. The reporting process is very simple at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Your report might save someone from injury or death.
Old 12-19-10, 06:43 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

I will keep that in mind. I say it that way because I want to hear what the dealer has to say. Roadside said they have to report it as "unintended" acceleration which will be reported to Lexus. It felt like an old car with bad brake linings if you have ever had that enjoyable experience.
Old 12-19-10, 10:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

wow... I am speechless. Surprising to say the least. Have you had any brake service recently??
Old 12-20-10, 12:33 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Scary to say the least! Luckily in was just the cabinets not to mention your own property. Glad to hear nobody got hurt. This had never happened to me, and please let us know what happens.
Old 12-20-10, 05:01 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow..crazy. A while back, i had a caliper fail due to rust in the bleeder valve..car would lock up at low speeds when applying brakes..Lexus towed it back to dealership, fixed it under warranty thank God. Just glad i was driving on a slow road and close to the house. But your situation is really scary..luckily you werent slowing down to a fast moving intersection!
Old 12-20-10, 04:26 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

There is a poster here that had the same brake situation who summed it up perfectly saying that it felt like a bad brake booster. I told the dealer it felt like bad brake linings, but as the pedal traveled to the floor the trac light came on and the car got a slight power surge. It was like being on ice trying to stop. Creepy.
All 4 rotors were resurfaced in October due to various TSB's for broken rear spring, rear mounts, front control arms and mounts. Was told that the brake pads were strong and didn't need replacing.
Due to the body damage, I was directed to corporate who will contact legal and be in touch with me.
Better my own property damaged than someone else or an accident, the body damage is a problem I could live without, but what really concerns me is that I couldn't even get the brakes to lock up. Never whether a MB, BMW, Rover, or any other make I have driven have I experienced something like this and I consistently log 50-60K miles per year.
Will keep you posted. Anyone else experience this please let us know.

Last edited by 460LCHI; 12-20-10 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-10, 07:39 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LCHI
There is a poster here that had the same brake situation who summed it up perfectly saying that it felt like a bad brake booster. I told the dealer it felt like bad brake linings, but as the pedal traveled to the floor the trac light came on and the car got a slight power surge. It was like being on ice trying to stop. Creepy.
All 4 rotors were resurfaced in October due to various TSB's for broken rear spring, rear mounts, front control arms and mounts. Was told that the brake pads were strong and didn't need replacing.
Due to the body damage, I was directed to corporate who will contact legal and be in touch with me.
Better my own property damaged than someone else or an accident, the body damage is a problem I could live without, but what really concerns me is that I couldn't even get the brakes to lock up. Never whether a MB, BMW, Rover, or any other make I have driven have I experienced something like this and I consistently log 50-60K miles per year.
Will keep you posted. Anyone else experience this please let us know.
50 to 60 thousand miles in a year? wow.. I could drive mine for almost a decade run up about the same. Hopefully Lexus corp jumps all over this and takes care of you
Old 12-21-10, 03:21 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

I envy you if it takes you a decade to put that many miles on. I spread the mileage out between the cars.

Originally Posted by cmasten
50 to 60 thousand miles in a year? wow.. I could drive mine for almost a decade run up about the same. Hopefully Lexus corp jumps all over this and takes care of you
Old 12-21-10, 04:46 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am fortunate to just commute 8 miles in, and 8 miles out and just a little running around on weekends.

I need to take a road trip and get it out on the road to appreciate it !
Old 12-21-10, 05:41 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

I think the car is more enjoyable on the road than in the city and gets incredible gas mileage. Best of luck.
Old 12-21-10, 08:29 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LCHI
I think the car is more enjoyable on the road than in the city and gets incredible gas mileage. Best of luck.
amen! last road trip was about 900 miles round trip and dash was telling me 31.1 MPG going about 80mph most of the way!...amazing for a V8, nearly 400hp monster like the Lex Luthor
Old 12-21-10, 11:45 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

I am rolling laughing at your reply. My friends and I call my car "Luther" short for Lex Luther, so reading that in your post cracked me up. I just drove from Palm Springs to Chicago and managed 29.5 mpg at speeds over 80 mph. You win. Amazing mileage which is not far off from the 4 cyl Accord or CDI E Class I owned. If I push the limits, I can get almost 600mi out of a tank.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
amen! last road trip was about 900 miles round trip and dash was telling me 31.1 MPG going about 80mph most of the way!...amazing for a V8, nearly 400hp monster like the Lex Luthor

Quick Reply: Brake Failure AND Traction Light