LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO Warranty doesn't cover all TSIB's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 02:24 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

for a used "certified" car its an excellent warranty compared to other manufs

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

There is a basic exclusion list however

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.
Old 01-01-11, 08:45 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.
glass
exterior trim and moldings
weather stripping

Meaning, the CPO warranty wouldn't cover ANY of the FOUR wind noise TSIBs. Not that any of them are as good as jmcraney's fix anyway.
Old 01-01-11, 09:04 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbuffett
glass
exterior trim and moldings
weather stripping

Meaning, the CPO warranty wouldn't cover ANY of the FOUR wind noise TSIBs. Not that any of them are as good as jmcraney's fix anyway.
some of this may be your dealer, I asked my dealer about the wind noise and they didnt hesitate to offer to replace stripping, windows or whatever it took to keep me happy. They said it was the single most requested TSB. I dont get any different treatment than my neighbor who just bought brand new from the same dealer. He paid 68k and I paid 39k. Granted 2010 vs 2007, but we often are at the service dept at the same time and compare notes, he would strongly consider CPO next time.

They did cover your dash rattles.

Last edited by cmasten; 01-01-11 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 10:31 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten
They did cover your dash rattles.
The factory warranty people covered the dash rattle as a one-time "good will" gesture after the CPO warranty guy refused it ("dash cover and pad" is in their not-covered list, scroll up). I'm lucky that I'm only at 52K miles, something tells me at 60K+ miles the factory warranty folks aren't going to be as helpful.

My dealer happily did all the wind noise TSIBs, but that's because I asked for them immediately after I bought the car (44K miles) so they were covered under the factory warranty. The dealership doesn't care who covers it - factory or CPO, but they aren't going to do anything this labor-intensive for free. I would be very interested to see how much success the 60K+ CPO crowd has with getting the wind noise TSIBs addressed, considering all the things fixed in those TSIBs are things that the CPO warranty says it doesn't cover.

I have found no difference at my dealer with how I'm treated versus somebody who just bought a new car (because I bought my '08 IS 350 from them brand new), so I want to make sure to not fault the dealership for any of this experience.
Old 01-02-11, 11:32 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbuffett
The factory warranty people covered the dash rattle as a one-time "good will" gesture after the CPO warranty guy refused it ("dash cover and pad" is in their not-covered list, scroll up). I'm lucky that I'm only at 52K miles, something tells me at 60K+ miles the factory warranty folks aren't going to be as helpful.

My dealer happily did all the wind noise TSIBs, but that's because I asked for them immediately after I bought the car (44K miles) so they were covered under the factory warranty. The dealership doesn't care who covers it - factory or CPO, but they aren't going to do anything this labor-intensive for free. I would be very interested to see how much success the 60K+ CPO crowd has with getting the wind noise TSIBs addressed, considering all the things fixed in those TSIBs are things that the CPO warranty says it doesn't cover.

I have found no difference at my dealer with how I'm treated versus somebody who just bought a new car (because I bought my '08 IS 350 from them brand new), so I want to make sure to not fault the dealership for any of this experience.

My experience has been very good.

I would buy another CPO in a heartbeat.

For the record, I bought mine at 61k miles, exactly a year ago and have been to the dealer about 5 times over the past 9k miles

Last edited by cmasten; 01-02-11 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 02:51 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lesson I learned the hard way with my LS430, when the factory warranty is about to expire go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and check for applicability of any TSIBs.

My '07 LS460 factory warranty expired late November. The week before, I took the car in and had several TSIBs done: the glove box, the seats, the window track, the dash rattle, and the noise in the stereo aux input come to mind, there might have been a couple of others.

And I purchased the Lexus extended warranty. If you look at the wording of the TSIBs, they almost always state that they are only applicable to vehicles that are still under the original manufacturer's warranty. Keep in mind of course that drivetrain and/or emissions related TSIBs have longer warranty periods than the 4yr/50k.

If buying a used vehicle that is beyond the 4yr/50k, I would check to see what TSIBs had been done, and check very carefully for the presence of issues described in TSIBs that hadn't been done on that car.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, some of these issues may be seasonal, such as the dash noise that is more prevalent in cold weather.
Old 01-05-11, 04:43 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea CPO does NOT cover TSB I learned the hard way at 52k miles and they told me I should have come one month ago...bastards...