LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

brake noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 04:29 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this clunk when I stopped and reversed the RX inquired at the dealer it could not be duplicated that was about 2 to 3 years ago. I even drove the service advisor around. Dealer verified brakes were okay. I never really paid much attention to the clunk noise till two weeks ago it happened every time the brakes were depressed real hard. Now it is totally gone again the only difference is it is 20+ degrees warmer out. Today I deliberately when parked pushed down as hard as I could on the brakes and silence.
Old 01-04-11, 10:34 AM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a clunk from the rear end which sounds like you are describing. The noise was mostly from the rear, but could be heard under the console area. Turned out to be a defective rear axle shaft. Noise was gone after replacement.
Old 01-04-11, 10:59 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LCHI
I had a clunk from the rear end which sounds like you are describing. The noise was mostly from the rear, but could be heard under the console area. Turned out to be a defective rear axle shaft. Noise was gone after replacement.
did you run over anything or hit anything ?
Old 01-04-11, 02:55 PM
GREENDAY
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
was there a tsib for the brake actuator ??
pls. see attach.
Attached Files
Old 01-07-11, 01:59 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the car back. The paper work states "upper control bushings worn out" - "replaced number one and number two control arms, and "replaced skid control ecu and install ecu updates". There is also a "part # 89540-50250 computer assy" listed that I don't understand...... anyway it was all covered under warranty. I finally gave-in and also had the glove box TSIB done since the dang thing would rattle at every small crack in the pavement.
Old 01-07-11, 03:08 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

They called me to pick the car today. The service advisor is Scott Nguyen. Terrible service guy btw.
Anyways they did the bpillar, replaced mirror, seat cushion but they didn't fix the brake clunk issue...WTF??? I mainly brought the car in bc of that. They said they lubbed the suspension and no noise..I took the car and that was the first thing I noticed. Took a tech for a short drive and he was like "oh"....
Anyways it was promised done on Tuesday (dropped off last Friday...today is fri)..and now this. Stupid Scott said he would call me back to notify the status after I called on Wednesday never called...overall this is messed up so far .
Old 01-07-11, 06:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
They called me to pick the car today. The service advisor is Scott Nguyen. Terrible service guy btw.
Anyways they did the bpillar, replaced mirror, seat cushion but they didn't fix the brake clunk issue...WTF??? I mainly brought the car in bc of that. They said they lubbed the suspension and no noise..I took the car and that was the first thing I noticed. Took a tech for a short drive and he was like "oh"....
Anyways it was promised done on Tuesday (dropped off last Friday...today is fri)..and now this. Stupid Scott said he would call me back to notify the status after I called on Wednesday never called...overall this is messed up so far .
I am wondering if you should try another dealership. My service rep is not just on the ball, the guy is ahead of the game. He will text or call me eve at 8 o'clock at night and he is always quick to return my calls if I call him during the day. Bell Lexus is AZ ais rated the number one Lexus dealership for customer service in the US ( at least they were last year). Its obvious. This rep is so goo I was actually trying to get the wife to get an RX350 instead of the Murano LE that we got just so she could work with him. She had an Infiniti G35 and an Acura TL before and the service sucked big time. The service reps and techs should be doing their jobs with a lot more attention to detail than what you are describing

BTW how did the seat cushion TSIB work out??? Is the leather still in good shape??? Some members have reported that the leather is now not as smooth as before and has wrinkles
Old 01-07-11, 06:56 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

seat is a little softer & more cushion. I was told that the dealer sent the seat to the upholster guy who did it...so they probably just use original leather and just put more foam in the bottom...so leather looks the same..no more wrinkle than before.
Old 01-10-11, 08:56 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I drive highway miles, never hit anything. Never hit anything that caused the rear spring to break either, or the upper control arms to go bad, or the rear bushings, or the glove box.

Originally Posted by randomwalk
did you run over anything or hit anything ?
Old 01-10-11, 09:48 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 460LCHI
No I drive highway miles, never hit anything. Never hit anything that caused the rear spring to break either, or the upper control arms to go bad, or the rear bushings, or the glove box.
I never hit anything either so it might be it. Need to bring it in again and will mention about the rear axle shaft. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-27-11, 06:58 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

I brought the car back into the dealership today and met a very nice Service Advisor (whom happen to be a Packer fan ) and he confirmed the noise. He brought out another LS460 and it also has the same noise. Is it my luck to run into another LS with the same issue??? This is getting frustrating...

Can someone confirm that this noise is present on all LS460 (non air ride model) ?

Just drive the car like 5mph and moderately brake the vehicle to a COMPLETE stop. The rear suspension will move up/down a little bit and see if you hear any "clunk" noise coming from the rear area. If you do this in reverse (backing up and brake to full stop at moderate braking so the suspension move up/down), the noise will be MORE PRONOUNCED. I still have some faith in Lexus and refuse to believe that the noise to be deemed as "normal". If it's a lower end model then may be but this is the flagship of Lexus!!! Even my co-worker's Toyota Camary doesn't make any noise at all when braking!!!

Also I got the loaner 2010 Lexus ES350 today. The suspension is so much smoother going over bumps comparing to my 2008 LS460. It feels as if the ES has air-ride in it. Is our LS460, the flagship of Lexus, suspension is that bad? Of course the ES has no brake clunking problem.

PS. the clunk is NOT caused by the brake..it caused by the suspension's component(s).

Last edited by randomwalk; 01-27-11 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 04:29 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Lexus called me to pick up the car. They deemed that the "CLUNK" sound when braking is "normal" suspension sound for LS460. Does the LS460 makes clunk sound when coming to a stop? This is true?
Old 02-01-11, 11:59 PM
blackz405
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem on my 2007 LS with over 132,000 miles. The dealer could not fix the problem for over 3 years and I was able to isolate the problem to the brake assist (BA) system and glazed brake pads. The original brake pads had 7mm thickness (50% used) with 132,000 miles and I found that was very unusual. Sure enough they were glazed! The BA system would kick in prematurely and caused the single clunking sound. I replaced the original brake pads with the Autozone ceramic pads and the clunk went away.

Check your brake pads. If they stop wearing, you need to replace them.
Old 02-02-11, 12:04 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Car only has 19k miles. Don't think it's brake related. I'm sorry for saying clunk. It's more like a clunk-clunk-clunk sound as two pieces of heavy metal hitting each other as the car stops (car bounces a little as the suspension settles). Coming from driver side rear.
Old 02-03-11, 04:37 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

So I called Lexus Care-"less" concerning the issue. They pretty much sided with the dealer and said "if the dealer said it's normal, we have to go with that as we trained the dealers to repair cars". I requested a tech from Lexus to come and test drive & hear the noise...they said they only have 1 tech and is currently on vacation and won't come back in 5 weeks...and I will have to call back & plea my case again and IF the tech agrees then he will come out to take a look... What a bunch of bs!!

Quick Reply: brake noise issue