LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Map Data Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 12:28 PM
chinaxb0y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Data Issue

I'm having some issues with my map data when i start up my car. there has been multiple times when i start up my car and touch the accept button for the warning sign and then it say's "unable to read data please contact dealer" then i'll turn off my car and start it back up and try again. sometime it works after one try but sometimes i have to do it 3-4 times. i notice it only happens on really cold days. i don't know if that would make a difference but does anyone have this problem? i have the bypass system in my car, u think that would do it? i have a 07 ls, haven't upgrade my navi. any help ?
Old 01-01-11, 12:55 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wiring harness issue (loose or may need to be replaced) or bad hdd.

If it's the latter, expect the matter to get worse (frequency and how many times it takes to get it to work when it happens). If it's the former, then I wouldn't be surprised if other things started to fail as well (radio, ...etc).

Either way, you better have it checked by Lexus. Warranty?

You may also want to get into the secret menu (dealer's menu) by pressing DISP, then upper left corner, lower left, upper left, lower left. That will get you into the outer secret menu.

You could so get into the inner secret menu by entering in the outer secret menu then upper left, lower left, upper left, lower right.

In there you'll find many testing & diagnosis option. That might give you a hint?

Last edited by JFNash; 01-01-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 06:20 PM
chinaxb0y
Driver School Candidate

yea my car is a cpo. but if i take it back to the dealer and get it checked should i take out the bypass system ? i haven't done the secret menu thing yet but what should i checked when i'm in the menu ? anything specific ?
Old 01-02-11, 03:22 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 does not have the accept screen. However, when the car was about 9 months old, I got the same message when starting the car. It happened a few times and I called the dealer. It turned out to be the hard drive, which was replaced under warranty.

Since you have the bypass, you should definitely check all the connections first. If that does not fix the problem, I strongly recommend removing the bypass before taking the car to the dealer.

The bypass is not a Lexus authorized item. They could claim that the bypass caused the problem, because it was directly connected to the Nav system. That would be a valid reason for them not to repair the Nav under warranty.
Old 01-02-11, 07:47 PM
chinaxb0y
Driver School Candidate

thanx. i'll see if it keeps doing it. if so then i'll take out the bypass system and take it to the dealer. anyone else have this problem ?
Old 01-04-11, 02:01 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chinaxb0y
thanx. i'll see if it keeps doing it. if so then i'll take out the bypass system and take it to the dealer. anyone else have this problem ?
This issue isn't caused by the bypass system. It sounds like a hard drive that's failing. I would ask the dealer if they have a problem servicing it with the bypass in place. I had my car in recently for a TSIB that involved removing the entire dash assembly including all of the electronics. I have both the nav bypass and the Vais Tech MP3 interface. I explained to the dealer ahead of time that I had these units in place and they said no problem. I did provide them with the manuals for both units in case the tech had any questions.

Obviously you can remove it if you want to. That would 100% tell you if the problem is related to the bypass. But if you don't have to take it out, why bother?
Old 01-04-11, 02:13 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean1
My '08 does not have the accept screen. However, when the car was about 9 months old, I got the same message when starting the car. It happened a few times and I called the dealer. It turned out to be the hard drive, which was replaced under warranty.

Since you have the bypass, you should definitely check all the connections first. If that does not fix the problem, I strongly recommend removing the bypass before taking the car to the dealer.

The bypass is not a Lexus authorized item. They could claim that the bypass caused the problem, because it was directly connected to the Nav system. That would be a valid reason for them not to repair the Nav under warranty.
Just out of curiosity...When they dealer replace that hard drive, did they put in a newer version of Navigation/Map for you? I would imagine that the newer harddrive would have never Navigation version stored in them. Doesn't make sense to have old version on new HDD.
Old 01-04-11, 02:45 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

randomwalk:

The new hard drive has the same map version as the original one. Remember the car was only 9 months old when they replaced the hard drive. Perhaps the next version of the map was not yet released.
Old 01-05-11, 02:24 AM
chinaxb0y
Driver School Candidate

when you told the dealer that you had the bypass system they did not say anything that it was the bypass system that was causing the issue ? i just don't want to take it in and they say that its not going to be covered under the warranty due to the bypass system.
Old 01-05-11, 05:42 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you had installed Nav bypass your self, then it should only take you 10 - 15 minutes to remove it. I think jstjohnz simply got lucky with his SA and a tech at the dealer. I personally would remove it and not take my chances, but it's up to you.
Old 01-05-11, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to be safe, i'd take out the override. no need to give them any extra excuses
Old 01-05-11, 08:14 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JFNash
Wiring harness issue (loose or may need to be replaced) or bad hdd.

If it's the latter, expect the matter to get worse (frequency and how many times it takes to get it to work when it happens). If it's the former, then I wouldn't be surprised if other things started to fail as well (radio, ...etc).

Either way, you better have it checked by Lexus. Warranty?

You may also want to get into the secret menu (dealer's menu) by pressing DISP, then upper left corner, lower left, upper left, lower left. That will get you into the outer secret menu.

You could so get into the inner secret menu by entering in the outer secret menu then upper left, lower left, upper left, lower right.

In there you'll find many testing & diagnosis option. That might give you a hint?
Hey what years is this applicable to my 2007 doesn't accept this ?
Old 01-06-11, 08:09 PM
chinaxb0y
Driver School Candidate

i guess i have to take out the bypass system before i go in. i also notice that it only happens when it is really cold outside. but these past couple of days it hasn't been happening. well i'll i guess i have to see what happens but i'll be difinitely taking it off b4 i take my lexus in.