LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Keep the LS or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 10:58 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keep the LS or move on?

So I've had my LS now for 10 months...put on about 10K miles on it...after 2 oil changes...she runs like a champ...but Im still not satisfied...any of you feel like that?

Im 33,married,no kids,have a nicely done up 350z as a daily driver,but for such a pricey car Im not fully content with it..its drives great,love the gadgets,its roomy,its decent on gas,but i dont want to drive it...it drives me...I have been having second thoughts on the ownership lately.....in the last week i have test drove the Audi S5,S550 4matic,08 Cayenne Turbo and a 2009 M3.All great cars as well...just more of a drivers car..even the massive S550 felt more in tune with the driver.

I dont know,do I keep it and dump a whole bunch of $$$ to make it look like what I want?Or trade it in and by something im content with.

The LS looks great,but it stops there i think....people always say nice car..you must have $$$ blah blah blah...but I dont feel the want or need to drive the car.

Am I confused?
Old 01-01-11, 11:06 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what happened when you test drove it? Did you not get the feeling? IMHO, as good as the LS is, it is an acquired taste, (or lack thereof) It's a plain vanilla, well built luxo barge and makes no apologies for it. If you are more into a drivers car, then I hate to say it- you should follow your instinct and move on. Pouring money into your LS, may become a money pit, and you will never recoup that money. Better to go and get something german and quench your thirst for handling. Don't try to make the LS into something it is not- you might wind up hating the car as you may never acheive what you are trying to acomplish... my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-11, 11:18 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why use a 350z for daily driver and then the LS for 2nd car? Usually its be the other way. I'd just see what makes more sense for you, mod the LS or just buy a new toy.
Old 01-01-11, 11:21 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lamar411
Why use a 350z for daily driver and then the LS for 2nd car? Usually its be the other way. I'd just see what makes more sense for you, mod the LS or just buy a new toy.
Well the LS stays at home and the wife drives it...we switch back and forth....
Old 01-01-11, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i had a ls460l, superb car, but i sold it after 6 months and got the m3.
Old 01-02-11, 03:50 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manny735, I understand perfectly your second thoughts about owning an LS.

I love our LS, but I live in South Florida where the roads are flat & straight. We took our LS on a 4000 mile trip to the Northeast USA the first year we had it. While the car was great on the interstates, I did not feel comfortable with the way the car handled on many of the winding mountain roads we drove on.

I have owned many cars that have handled much better than our LS. Before the LS, we had a MB E-class. My other car is a C5 Corvette.

If we still lived in the Northeast USA, I do not think I would be happy with the handling of our LS, but it is fine for Florida.

When we bought our '08 LS, Lexus did not make the LS Sport. I have not driven one of them, but I have read that the ride/handling of the Sport is in-between that of a Mercedes 550 & a BMW 7-series. Perhaps you should test drive a LS Sport before giving up on Lexus.
Old 01-02-11, 08:34 AM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by rominl
i had a ls460l, superb car, but i sold it after 6 months and got the m3.
I love my LS, totally complete now, but its a little boring to drive. I think I am going to pick up a GT-R as my daily.
Old 01-02-11, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Synergy
I love my LS, totally complete now, but its a little boring to drive. I think I am going to pick up a GT-R as my daily.
hahhahaa, chris, see what i told you?
Old 01-02-11, 10:55 AM
freedom88
Driver School Candidate

Get the new CLS AMG 63
Old 01-02-11, 11:02 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by Manny735
So I've had my LS now for 10 months...put on about 10K miles on it...after 2 oil changes...she runs like a champ...but Im still not satisfied...any of you feel like that?

Im 33,married,no kids,have a nicely done up 350z as a daily driver,but for such a pricey car Im not fully content with it..its drives great,love the gadgets,its roomy,its decent on gas,but i dont want to drive it...it drives me...I have been having second thoughts on the ownership lately.....in the last week i have test drove the Audi S5,S550 4matic,08 Cayenne Turbo and a 2009 M3.All great cars as well...just more of a drivers car..even the massive S550 felt more in tune with the driver.

I dont know,do I keep it and dump a whole bunch of $$$ to make it look like what I want?Or trade it in and by something im content with.

The LS looks great,but it stops there i think....people always say nice car..you must have $$$ blah blah blah...but I dont feel the want or need to drive the car.

Am I confused?

yes very

Originally Posted by Synergy
umm ok baller
Old 01-02-11, 11:35 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS is at one end of the driving spectrum. It offers no pretense of being anything but a 380 HP StratoLounger, with adequate handling for a car in this class.
Really, if you want a slalom car get a Porsch or the like. Just don't expect the same luxury features, back seat room, etc.

There are other cars out there that try to be more of a compromise, some do it better than others, but they're still compromises. It's damned hard to find the ONE car that does it all for you.

We just got back from a 5,300 mile trip in our '08 LS, mostly interstates due to time concerns. A couple of the days were 1,000+ mile drives. I've never been in a more comfortable car that you didn't feel totally beat-up after those kind of mileage days.

Every now and then I still go out and look for the PERFECT car...no joy. I just think of what kind of driving I'll be doing 90% of the time. The LS fits. For the other 10% I hop on my motorcycle, hit the twisties and sweepers in my nearby Rockies, and get it out of my system...motorcyclene, we call it.

;->

Whit
Old 01-02-11, 11:40 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I love my LS but its like Clean1 stated, Im in SoFla so flat roads and highways for me makes me feel that way. I see your list and see a couple of things there. one is that every car on there is a German car and I'd driven Benz and Bimmers before the LS and they feel totally different. Another thing is that you have 3 different categories of cars there. I dont think none of those cars will feel the same aside the S5 and M3.

BTW, I've had the chance to babysit a Panamera 4S since Thrusday and thats another one you might want to consider. I know I am, but keeping the LS. Maybe a 4 for me.
Old 01-02-11, 01:34 PM
nolimitguj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Manny735

Am I confused?

You sir, are not confused, and are in good company. I have had my 460 for 3 months and put about 7k miles on it, and I am absolutely bored! I mean the car is opulent, and very comfortable, and has plenty of amenities, which are great when someone else is driving you around in it. However as far as driving, the car just is plain jane boring. Dont get me wrong, the car is awesome in its own right, but isnt it a bad thing when you take your car in for service and the IS250H hybrid they give you is more fun to drive than your flagship sedan?

I mean my car sounds like its getting hit by a train every time I hit a series of bumps on the road or anything of the sort. Ive talked to the service dept, and they say that is normal, I don't know what they mean. The car doesnt inspire any type of confidence in me as far as driving/handling. I'm thinking of selling it off and getting something more german, just for the inspirational aspect. But then again, the car is beautiful and japanese and comfortable, but I just dont know.

BTW the guy getting a GT-R as a second or third car or whatever, are you hiring? lol
Old 01-04-11, 03:48 PM
mondo540
Driver

Have you considered an IS-F? The suspension on the '11's is supposedly vastly improved...(see this month's car and driver or the F forum)...you don't have kids so the smallish rear seat area won't bother you. Plenty of power, great tranny with blistering quick shifts in sport mode and paddles, very nice interior, good leather, etc. and super reliable...mine is bulletproof.

Used '08's (low mileage ones in fantastic shape) can be had for $40K or so...rougher ride but can be tamed with an aftermarket setup.
Old 01-04-11, 04:42 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

cough cough.. 10k miles in 10 months.. even my daily beater runs shorter than that.

I agree with many here that the LS is a great car around the city, but it handles poor on winding country roads, bore to drive after a while, and frequently people give me some upper-class smiles.

THAT IS WHY I GAVE IT TO WIFE.

From your recent test drive models: "Audi S5,S550 4matic,08 Cayenne Turbo and a 2009 M3", only the Mercedes is that something close to compare with the LS.

My guess you are looking for another sports car (or sports-like car/suv) but you already have the Z on hand...

You need to sort out your priority.

Again, 10k miles in 10 month with your LS, I think you are utilizing it in a good way. Maybe trade in your Z for another new toy?!?

Quick Reply: Keep the LS or move on?