LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Did the wind noise TSIB fix your problem
made it worse to some degree
5.26%
made it better to some degree
47.37%
didn't do anything
36.84%
fixed the issue totally
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Did the TSIB for the wind noise help or fix the issue for your car. Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 06:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Did the TSIB for the wind noise help or fix the issue for your car. Poll

Hey guys I know I have a mild to moderate wind noise problem as many of us do. I am considering letting the dealership replace the glass but when I read the 100 pages of posts I am getting mixed signals in terms of the efficacy of the TSIB fix ( replacing the glass and adding insulation ). Seems like most members say that it worked or helped. Some members say it didn't do anything and one or two said the noise got worse. I know this topic has been discussed but what I wanted to do was to try to actually quantify some of these results. I love my LS460 and I want it to be the best car it can be. My concern is with the techs taking the doors apart and for everything to be put back the right way and for the entire thing to not be done for nothing.

When I think about the new laminated glass it seems hard to believe that the thicker glass , insulation, and new door seals will not fix the problem to some degree. My car doesn't have whistling. Its just a wooshing sound from the top of the glass. jmcraney was kind enough to send the metal pieces for the jmcraney fix. I will do this as well but I am a little afraid to screw something up. I texted my service advisor to see if they would do it for me if I printed out the instruction ( written very well by the way . Thanks again buddy ) . I am waiting to hear back from him. I am pretty sure they will help me.
Attached Thumbnails Did the TSIB for the wind noise help or fix the issue for your car. Poll-img_3310.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-06-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 10:25 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GREAT question. I have been wondering the same thing myself. I didn't notice the wind noise much until we started getting our annual winter windy conditions here in Porter Ranch. Now I am constantly checking the button to see if the window is up all the way. Mine sounds like it is coming from the top of the window as well, but hard to tell.

The other confusing thing is there are several TSB's that deal with this issue:
SB0026-10 Front side window wind noise at highway speeds
SB0020-10 Front door window highway speed wind noise
SB0007-10 Front door window wind noise above 45 mph
SB0033-09 highway speed crosswind turbulence noise

These are the ones I could find, there may be others.

Does anyone know the details of what these TSB's are and which one or combination is actually most effective to fix the problem?

I know about the JMc fix but am hesitant to do it myself...is there one of these TSB's that covers that triangle piece?
Old 01-07-11, 12:37 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by marky2mark
I know about the JMc fix but am hesitant to do it myself...is there one of these TSB's that covers that triangle piece?
Get your dealer to replace the triangle piece for you. He may charge you but it is not very expensive. That will likely fix your problem, probably only temporarily, and then you can make a better decision about what to do next. I think it is very unlikely that any of the TSBs will provide much relief if the trim is detached and those who report a major improvement from the TSBs likely got their improvement from the triangle trim being replaced as part of the other work.
Old 01-07-11, 01:32 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air leak coming in the glass is a total myth. I have the safety glass and it has zero effect because the door glass runs channels are exactly the same.

If you remove the outside triangle piece you will see 3 LARGE holes that go right into the cabin, I NEVER saw such a poor design. You also have the different uneven surfaces that come together and all Lexus did was use a small piece of foam on the edges of the plastic triangle that does not seal.....and that is the root cause air leaks in and causes a whistle at 43mph....most here are totally getting confused with NORMAL air noise rushing by the car.

Jcraney nailed the fix.....The dealer could/would not fix the car. The Japanese (and I love their products) have a philosophy of "that is the way it's made..live with it" culture. I was told that by someone who works for them.

If you follow his repair procedure you will make your car quiet again. With Jcrannys advice, help and guidance, I put a piece of sheet metal under the plastic trim and sealed it first and I can't tell you my car is perfectly quiet with 40% less road noise than I had. I also have one of the first 2007 LWB made.
Old 01-07-11, 06:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Get your dealer to replace the triangle piece for you. He may charge you but it is not very expensive. That will likely fix your problem, probably only temporarily, and then you can make a better decision about what to do next. I think it is very unlikely that any of the TSBs will provide much relief if the trim is detached and those who report a major improvement from the TSBs likely got their improvement from the triangle trim being replaced as part of the other work.
I think you are right about them getting the relief from the tsib including removing the black plastic triangular piece. I will ask my service advisor to do the fix for me at the next visit. I think many of us are confusing wind noise for normal wind noise. My car doesnt make a whistling sound at all. It only has the wooshing sound at the upper edge of the glass at the door frame edge. Will the jmcraney fix help this or is the jmcraney fix simply for the whistlers?????? It does make sense that the laminated glass will provide some alleviation in the road noise or noise of passing cars just due to the fact that it is slightly more insulated. My concern is for them to tear apart the doors and not put them back perfectly and only get a tiny improvement. This is why I think the jmcraney fix seems like the better thing to do then decide if the glass replacement is the direction I want to go. I just wanted to publicly that jmcraney not only for all of the analysis and time , for the kind ness and generosity that he has shown many of us. He has actually met with members to fix the car for them and he even went out of his wayto send me the metal pieces that are supposed to go behind the plastic piece. He cut them into the perfect shape and everything. Jeff if you were in AZ I would buy you a beer and probably do a free eye exam on you ( I am an Optometrist )

Originally Posted by garyr
The air leak coming in the glass is a total myth. I have the safety glass and it has zero effect because the door glass runs channels are exactly the same.

If you remove the outside triangle piece you will see 3 LARGE holes that go right into the cabin, I NEVER saw such a poor design. You also have the different uneven surfaces that come together and all Lexus did was use a small piece of foam on the edges of the plastic triangle that does not seal.....and that is the root cause air leaks in and causes a whistle at 43mph....most here are totally getting confused with NORMAL air noise rushing by the car.

Jcraney nailed the fix.....The dealer could/would not fix the car. The Japanese (and I love their products) have a philosophy of "that is the way it's made..live with it" culture. I was told that by someone who works for them.

If you follow his repair procedure you will make your car quiet again. With Jcrannys advice, help and guidance, I put a piece of sheet metal under the plastic trim and sealed it first and I can't tell you my car is perfectly quiet with 40% less road noise than I had. I also have one of the first 2007 LWB made.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the jmcraney fix is the way to go. Has anyopne had the glass replaced and shad door rattles, etc???
Old 01-07-11, 09:38 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
The Japanese (and I love their products) have a philosophy of "that is the way it's made..live with it" culture. I was told that by someone who works for them.
My service guy has said this twice now, that the wind noise problem is a cultural thing. I couldn't help but laugh and say "in what culture is wind noise on a $70K+ car a feature and not a bug".
Old 01-08-11, 08:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

If my service advisor said some stupid crap like that I would have to speak to the service department manager and would threaten to complain to Lexus corporate .
Old 01-09-11, 05:38 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If my service advisor said some stupid crap like that I would.....complain to Lexus corporate .
I would wish you good luck with that. I complained to Lexus Corporate for some very poor service from my local dealer (Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth) and they were totally non-responsive. After several emails, letters, and phone calls that were never returned, they finally sent me a form letter via email that basically said it was the dealer's problem and that Lexus USA could or would do nothing.
Old 01-11-11, 11:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am surprised after reading100 pages of windnoise complaints and discussion that this poll doesn't have more responses. I guess we are on our own. I scheduled my appt for this monday to have the windnoise tsib done as well as the ipod aux output tsib. I will be taking in the metal pieces that jmcraney sent me so they can also do the jmcraney fix. This morning on the way to the office there was a solid crosswind and DAMN did it get a little noisy. I went to the store last night in my wife's 2011 Murano LE and there was no wooshing noise at the edges of the side windows. Her truck is noisier than my car but its not windnoise it most likely just thinner glass and less insulation that causes the passengers to hear the outside traffic a touch more than my LS

I tried to quantify the results of the fix ( which would have been more valuable than simply discussing the problem that we are aware of already ) but no takers. I will proceed anyway and will give an update when its completed
Old 01-11-11, 04:44 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am surprised after reading100 pages of windnoise complaints and discussion that this poll doesn't have more responses.
LOL...I'm guessing everyone is tired of the subject by now. A little disturbing that half of the responses said the TSB's didn't fix anything.

I will be taking in the metal pieces that jmcraney sent me so they can also do the jmcraney fix.
Did you already ask the dealer about doing the jmc fix? I would be surprised if they would be willing to install non-factory metal pieces. If so I will try to get my dealer to do it. I was thinking of maybe trying to find a local body shop that would do it.

This morning on the way to the office there was a solid crosswind and DAMN did it get a little noisy.
Same here. I didn't notice the wind noise much during regular highway driving, but when a good crosswind comes along it's really noticeable.
Old 01-11-11, 07:30 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just realized something that probably doesn't affect too many people here
but i just installed the JDM visors and with the new triangle pc, the visors doesn't fit properly...
Old 01-11-11, 08:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I bet you those jdm visors will get rid of the noise at the windows edge. Maybe that will be the last resort. Can you post some pics of what they look like on your car
Old 01-11-11, 11:49 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

i'll try to take some pics... i'm not driving the car tomorrow so maybe thur...
Old 01-12-11, 10:07 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

took some crappy phone pics before i left this morning...

here's where the visor meets the triangle... since the triangle got smaller after i did the TSIB, the visor doesn't meet it:

here's what it looks like from different angles:

Old 01-12-11, 10:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks so much for posting the pics. Your car looks awesome. Where did you get them and for how much?? I am assuming it was l tuned

Quick Reply: Did the TSIB for the wind noise help or fix the issue for your car. Poll