LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Opinion LS 460 Vs. Mercedes S550 4Matic, Views!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 07:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Style
the ls I have has got to be the worst driving car I've ever owned coming back to this thread thinking about picking up an s class, lexus couldnt get any worse then 2007 ls460l huge difference in ride comment has me shaking my head like.. what an inconsistent piece of junk.
My neighbor sold his 03 LS430 for a 2008 Mercedes something or other roughly 2 years ago. I've never really paid much attention other than his constant complaining about repair costs that seem to be happening more and more. My former 08 LS460 on the other hand cost me oil changes. It rode like a dream.
Old 10-03-21, 11:30 PM
Style
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I'm actually somewhat dissapounted I'm the early LS460s also , they have some issues forsure

But , if your car droves that bad you most likely have control arm and or suspension issues

When everything's in working order they do drive wonderfully, that's what's good about them
car has 90k miles replaced all control arm and tires 10 months ago car in comfort was nearly tolerable in sport impossible to drive felt thing break over bumps, so 8 months ago put front struts still felt rough not much better 6 months ago replaced rear struts same not much difference last month replaced tires again with pirelli from the discount tire brand it had it now drives in sport how it did before in comfort and comfort is smoother but still not as smooth as expected a 2005 ford taurus is still smoother and now has rattling over bumps nobody can figure out..

all struts were replaced with oem.

this car is very a disappointing car in the way it drives and feels its inconsistent some times you floor it and it goes other times it doesnt you can never trust it.
Old 10-04-21, 10:11 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

What I like about MB is the options/technology/convenience that are available. Not only special order but available in used cars as well. Lexus just doesn't have them even though the engineering from Lexus IS top tier. The rides are both great in my eyes. Repairs for both brands can be pricey, MB maintenance items are higher cost too. Lexus is so much more reliable that it's my choice. If money were no object, MB would be my choice. Some of the MB options I've had and loved: full featured driver's seat, automatic parallel parking, surround camera, suite of safety automations.
Old 10-04-21, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Having bought two LS460s new, and an S560 new, the LS460 holds up. Sure the S Class drives a little better, but its not dramatic at all.

the ls I have has got to be the worst driving car I've ever owned coming back to this thread thinking about picking up an s class, lexus couldnt get any worse then 2007 ls460l huge difference in ride comment has me shaking my head like.. what an inconsistent piece of junk.
Its going on 15 years old. Not comparable to a newer one.
Old 11-23-21, 02:47 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to chime in.
I got a very nice 08 S550 4 matic Sport in silver/black few months ago and I do love it, but compared to my previous car, 08 LS460 SWB, non Air, the ride is worse. Lexus took the bumps a lot better.
LS had better sound system by light years with ML.
MB has better steering and on highway feel, power is very good and the motor sounds like a beast. Unlike the Lexus, I constantly wonder what will go next. With Lexus I never had to worry especially since the whole front end was done at lexus on their dime. I dont mind changing struts at 1K a pop if I have to. Its a weekend car/toy, mostly for road trips. If I had to daily, would have gotten LS460 no doubt.

Overall, Power, handling and braking I have to give it to S550.
Sound system, fuel economy and reliability Id have to give to Lexus.
Looks are both great. LS460 design was very very strong. I really liked it and it was a welcome departure from a LS430 ( my dad has one).
What was Lexus thinking with the new LS I dont know. Its awful from every angle.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 11-23-21 at 03:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (11-23-21)
Old 11-27-21, 07:39 PM
Style
Rookie

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I wanted to chime in.
I got a very nice 08 S550 4 matic Sport in silver/black few months ago and I do love it, but compared to my previous car, 08 LS460 SWB, non Air, the ride is worse. Lexus took the bumps a lot better.
LS had better sound system by light years with ML.
MB has better steering and on highway feel, power is very good and the motor sounds like a beast. Unlike the Lexus, I constantly wonder what will go next. With Lexus I never had to worry especially since the whole front end was done at lexus on their dime. I dont mind changing struts at 1K a pop if I have to. Its a weekend car/toy, mostly for road trips. If I had to daily, would have gotten LS460 no doubt.

Overall, Power, handling and braking I have to give it to S550.
Sound system, fuel economy and reliability Id have to give to Lexus.
Looks are both great. LS460 design was very very strong. I really liked it and it was a welcome departure from a LS430 ( my dad has one).
What was Lexus thinking with the new LS I dont know. Its awful from every angle.

Nothing is worse then my ls460l even with brand new oem air shocks.
Old 11-27-21, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That makes zero sense lol
Old 11-27-21, 08:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That makes zero sense lol
Yeah.....for real. Most people bail out of other brand TO Lexus to avoid the constant annoyances.
Old 11-27-21, 11:41 PM
Style
Rookie

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah.....for real. Most people bail out of other brand TO Lexus to avoid the constant annoyances.
maybe I got a lemon day one it had a noise on left front a replaced control arms and tires still had noise and drove bad changed front shocks no noise still drives like a ford focus replaced rear shocks still drives bad changed tires again drives a little smoother now has noise again and needs control arms I'm sure after 15k miles since last ones.

this is the worst lexus I've ever owned a taurus is smoother
anything is smoother my husbands gt4 Porsche track package is smoother.

$6800 for oem air shocks and it drives like crap I'm not impressed.
Old 11-28-21, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

maybe I got a lemon day one it had a noise on left front a replaced control arms and tires still had noise and drove bad changed front shocks no noise still drives like a ford focus replaced rear shocks still drives bad changed tires again drives a little smoother now has noise again and needs control arms I'm sure after 15k miles since last ones.

this is the worst lexus I've ever owned a taurus is smoother
anything is smoother my husbands gt4 Porsche track package is smoother.

$6800 for oem air shocks and it drives like crap I'm not impressed.
I see from your posts its a 2007...as old as an LS460 can be. Its 14 years old, its not a lemon its just heavily used.

Your statements about what rides smoother are just absolutely insane lol. Totally absurd. If your car truly rides like that, it has massive problems. The LS460 is one of the best riding cars ever made.
Old 11-28-21, 07:44 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

I see from your posts its a 2007...as old as an LS460 can be. Its 14 years old, its not a lemon its just heavily used.

Your statements about what rides smoother are just absolutely insane lol. Totally absurd. If your car truly rides like that, it has massive problems. The LS460 is one of the best riding cars ever made.
Agreed, most posts here, even ones presenting issues, lean heavily toward the LS being a fantastic car on the whole. Certainly, there may be a few lemons or multiple issues that give an owner massive headaches. But very few. Some people react to the control arm issues as the end of the world, and if that's how they feel, it's too bad as they probably have very strong reactions to many other things in life. We're all different with different preferences.
Old 11-28-21, 07:49 AM
Style
Rookie

2007 ls40l and shocks oem air shocks are like 4 months old now more or less and it rides terrible, it will be gone soon it's almost paid off. Just hit 100k Miles one of my biggest mistakes worse then the time I was bidding on a car as a Christmas gift on ebay and checked and didnt see it searched and bid again ended up with two nissan skylines in the driveway. They were horrible cars I felt bad giving one away as a gift they were so bad, bought a 300zx twin turbo and gave that instead..

we all make mistakes for anyone reading this , dont let a lexus be yours.
Old 11-28-21, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And the bottom line is, if you want a car that truly is of this level, this is the most reliable one you can buy. Go see what people with 2007 S Classes and 7 Series and A8s are dealing with and the costs associated with owning those.

On one of the S Class FB groups I follow someone just posted and everybody was amazed that he had all the brakes done on his S Class at an independent mechanic and the cost was ONLY $2,500! A full set of brakes and rotors for an LS460 can be done at an independent for less than $1,000.
Old 11-28-21, 07:56 AM
Style
Rookie

And the bottom line is, if you want a car that truly is of this level, this is the most reliable one you can buy. Go see what people with 2007 S Classes and 7 Series and A8s are dealing with and the costs associated with owning those.
I bought a 7 series once 32k miles I took it and crashed it that car made me so mad, mercedes were always decent to me s classes the a8l I had was nice but was terrible on gas I was getting like 13mpg and traded it for an avalon audi was nice ride was eh highway was great service never had an issue but key , s class I had a few bought cheap drove a year sold and made money never any issues even with high miles. Stupid 7 series I remember looking by spare tire finding a 3 inch book of maint records added it up was 53k spent on maint in like 4 years and lady I got it from pulled into driveway over water meter lid poped up blew driver airbag and broke her shoulder as she heard it she turned to look and it poped.

still lexus is second worst on my list of nightmares bmw is first skylines well they were old junky cars.
Old 11-28-21, 08:00 AM
Style
Rookie

I'm trying to think of a car I owned in the past that had a similar ride to this lexus a geo storm comes to mind with snow tires on it.

Quick Reply: Opinion LS 460 Vs. Mercedes S550 4Matic, Views!