LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Actuator - OVER FIVE WEEKS TO FIX??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:58 PM
LSRIDER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Actuator - OVER FIVE WEEKS TO FIX??

Just like a number of other LS owners, I have a problem with the brake actuator on my '08 LS460. A clunking noise can be heard when I press the brake pedal. I took the car to a dealership in early December. A service consultant test-drove it with me and confirmed the problem. I was told it was caused by the brake actuator and a new brake actuator would be ordered. After the part was received, I took my car to the dealership on December 28, 2010. The next day, a service consultant advised me that they could not fix my car because the new brake actuator was defective and they could not bleed the brakes after the replacement of the actuator. Now, they have ordered another brake actuator and told me that it will not arrive until February 2 or 3!!! Meanwhile, my car is sitting at the dealership in a non-drivable condition.

To say that I am disappointed and frustrated is a serious understatement. I could never imagine that it would take over a month to get a spare part for the Lexus flagship vehicle. And I am not even certain they would be able to fix it when the part finally arrives in early February.

This is my first Lexus. If I ever expected that such a long time to obtain a Lexus replacement part was a possibility, I would not have bought this car. I doubt anyone would. This is even more astonishing because I see in this forum that Lexus has known about problems with brake actuators for many months. Has anyone experienced such long delays with a repair of an issue that has been known to Lexus for many months? Any advice on how to handle this situation?

Last edited by LSRIDER; 01-13-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 05:43 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like any other auto manufacture, Lexus is going through some management pains inflicted from all sides as reported in the news media. I also, a loyal Lexus customer since 1997, and currently have four Lexus products in my driveway, can attesh to the fact that over the years there has been a gradual decline in Lexus quality and service. Maybe a by product of growth. There has been many occasions including just recently the issues with my LS's brakes, whereby, I got so frustrated that I wanted to abandon the brand. But my recent experiences with MB & BMW have been even worse.

Eventually, the Lexus issues were fixed. I strongly recommend patience, and keeping the pressure on the dealership, and calling the Lexus corporate customer service with the details.
Old 01-14-11, 09:28 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

LSRIDER, I feel your pain. Honestly I do. My car's been there since 12/20 with a braking issue. Not sure if it was a similar problem to yours but mines was that the brakes would lock up from a simple tap on the brake pedal. Since it was a problem that only happened from time to time, they kept if for a few day before it finally happened to them but it happened while they were testing it and when they got back, it'd stopped doing it. They finally got a "master" tech in and it did it to him on the second week. They got a hold of the "engineers" and came up with the solution. Long story short, they've ordered 3 different parts and the problem continues. I do feel that its a little rediculous to be without a car for that long but if I was a company that had just paid out 10mil and have been under a magnifiying glass for "run away" cars, I'd keep the cars with the braking issues until I knew everything was 100%. On the brighter side, I've been driving their RX450h since then and have been going to see my family 300 miles north every weekend since.
Old 01-14-11, 02:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Man I would be a little more than pissed if they told me they were going to keep my car for that long. Yopu should ask them to make a months payment. Its not your fault that the original replacement unit was defective. Thats BS
Old 01-14-11, 04:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

really sorry to hear that. but yes, if your car is going to be out for such a long time (complete month), and it's not your fault, i would ask them to compensate me
Old 01-14-11, 07:11 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took my dealership over 2 weeks to find replacement pads for my brakes - granted they are the Sport Bembo's but 2 weeks still seems excessive. It took them almost 3 weeks to get a replacement rubber boot for where the steering column goes through the fire wall. The car was making a very loud groaning noise every time I turned the wheel.

Granted it is limited data but they seem to be stocking fewer parts - perhaps as a cost saving mechanism. I can say that I never had these lead times to get parts for my LS430. I thought the parts availability for my Audi A6 4.2 was bad but Lexus is now starting to approach their performance.
Old 01-14-11, 07:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Tell them to take the part off of one of the cars on the lot.
Old 01-15-11, 01:53 AM
LSRIDER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses and advice. I went back to the dealership earlier today to get a loaner with a navigation system - the one I've been driving for the past 17 days did not have it. I also needed to retrieve something from my car. When I saw my car, I thought I'd lose it - they keep it outside. I complained about that and they said they would "take care of the exterior" when the car is fixed . . . That only added to my frustration and disappointment with Lexus. Still the same ETA for the new brake actuator - Feb 2/3.

CEOEng - thanks for the advice, I have called Lexus corporate, but could not make any progress with them. All they say is that they are doing their best to get the part, but can't expedite it.

rominl - what kind of compensation would you ask for? Lexus corporate offered a one-month lease payment, but I thought it was ridiculous; especially, because I do not have a payment. I am not even sure I want to keep a car that's so difficult to fix. And it's a real inconvenience to be without a car I am used to and to drive a stupid loaner without a number of options my car has. In addition, it's a source of a continuing annoyance and distraction with calls to the dealership and the corporate, trips to the dealership, etc - I have better things to do with my time!

Nospinzone - Not sure whether you are serious about your suggestion. Is that a reasonable request, i.e. something they can do? I know keeping my car in the shop for over a month isn't reasonable either. However, I doubt they can take a brake actuator off a new car and then sell the car as "new" after replacing the part. Do you know that this is something they can do? If that's the case, I would definitely ask for that immediately.
Old 01-15-11, 05:40 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with the dealership for a problem that shouldn't be that difficult to fix and shouldn't take that much of time. Hope you get her back sooner than that.

Side question, never ever seen anyone talk about what's up with the bad actuator. Why does it cause this noise? And is it just a matter of noise? Or braking failure is a possibility? And what's different in the new one that makes it work flawlessly?
Old 01-15-11, 09:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRIDER
Thanks for the responses and advice. I went back to the dealership earlier today to get a loaner with a navigation system - the one I've been driving for the past 17 days did not have it. I also needed to retrieve something from my car. When I saw my car, I thought I'd lose it - they keep it outside. I complained about that and they said they would "take care of the exterior" when the car is fixed . . . That only added to my frustration and disappointment with Lexus. Still the same ETA for the new brake actuator - Feb 2/3.

CEOEng - thanks for the advice, I have called Lexus corporate, but could not make any progress with them. All they say is that they are doing their best to get the part, but can't expedite it.

rominl - what kind of compensation would you ask for? Lexus corporate offered a one-month lease payment, but I thought it was ridiculous; especially, because I do not have a payment. I am not even sure I want to keep a car that's so difficult to fix. And it's a real inconvenience to be without a car I am used to and to drive a stupid loaner without a number of options my car has. In addition, it's a source of a continuing annoyance and distraction with calls to the dealership and the corporate, trips to the dealership, etc - I have better things to do with my time!

Nospinzone - Not sure whether you are serious about your suggestion. Is that a reasonable request, i.e. something they can do? I know keeping my car in the shop for over a month isn't reasonable either. However, I doubt they can take a brake actuator off a new car and then sell the car as "new" after replacing the part. Do you know that this is something they can do? If that's the case, I would definitely ask for that immediately.
LSRIDER, i fully understand your frustration, but let's take a step back and take a deep breath first.

truth is, it's going to be hard really find a way to truly compensate you. like you said, your time, your convenience, etc... how to value those? however, let's try to see what's the best common ground you can get to with dealership.

i know it's a tough scene to see with your car outside all dusty. but with limited space at dealership, there might not be another better choice. it's hard to deep the car in the indoor work areas 24/7 since they have other cars to work on. and actually, most of the brand new cars they are parked outside too, just being washed regularly. if i were you, i would politely request the car to be thoroughly cleaned and detailed before you pick it up. i think that's a fair request.

regarding payment, yes they are having your car, but from dealer side, they are also providing you a loaner. granted it's not a ls460 (i assume), but i think they are doing what they can to accommodate you, including exchanging to one with nav (per your request). if you ask me, offer to pay you 1 month of lease payment (equivalent) is a pretty fair compensation. if monetary compensation is not what you are looking into, maybe you can ask for the GM and discuss your concern with him?

i always try to look at things from different angles. in this case, it seems to be more of a lexus corp problem (no parts available), but at the same time dealership is trying to do what they can to make you happy. if you do want to hear more from lexus corp, maybe you can send a msg to corp directly (or complaint) and also talk to GM (dunno if you have done that)?

definitely good luck!
Old 01-15-11, 02:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

LSRIDER, I am absolutely serious (if I don't put a smiley face after a comment, I'm serious). Now I'm not familiar with this part and what would be involved, but what I suggested has been done. I know of a Jag part that the dealer used off one of his cars because of how long it would take to get it from England.

There is no issue with the car no longer being "new" because they removed a part and later replaced it with a new part. It is not unusual during dealer prep to notice a broken or defective part which is repaired/replaced before the car goes on the showroom floor. The issue for the dealer is obviously the donor car is not available for sale until they can get the replacement part.
Old 01-16-11, 07:13 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Like I stated before, I've had my car there for a month now but I feel like rominl said. Not sure what they can do to compensate so I'll just take it as it is. I dont have payments either so maybe monetary compensation would work but then again, I do have their RX. I guess Im not stressing it as much because my car is park most of the week and usually comes out on weekends but their LX has been all over town every day.

Last edited by 305Busa; 01-16-11 at 07:27 AM.