LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Reasonable Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11 | 12:50 PM
Abe7333
Driver School Candidate

That is retarded.. I understand for a kia. But cmon.. I would be mad too
Old 01-21-11 | 03:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Abe7333
That is retarded.. I understand for a kia. But cmon.. I would be mad too
you get loaner cars with kia?
Old 01-21-11 | 07:26 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

It's all about the bean counters (read: bottom line) when it comes to what was once the best service in the auto industry ... Sadly, I'm afraid the days of the 'over and above' dealer/service experience and freebies are getting fewer and far between, especially when calculating how much you're paying for the services rendered.

Allow me to retell a service story going back to the early 90's. I've owned several Lexus's starting w/ my first 1990 LS400 in '93. It was used - private party, corp. exec CEO car - but only had 14k on it and perfect in every other way. Took it into the SF Bay Area dealer (Serramonte Lexus) who'd originally sold it to the firm I bought it from and was treated like absolute royalty including a gratis detailing as a welcome gift. Have never forgotten that (and that was the best $100. Lexus could have spent on a customer because I've been a loyal fan ever since). From then on, I'd take it in for service on the way to a business trip and they'd give me a ride to the airport AND pick me up upon returning, all on the house including the weeks free parking - well, almost free parking as I realize they made up for some of it in packed maintenance/service charges. I was in Lexus heaven and have owned LS's ever since.

Would or could that happen today? Very doubtful as the bean counters have trumped the proverbial handshake and a smile, make the customer happy as a first priority mantra when it comes to doing business. The Lexus service aspect gradually has dwindled down to what I'd call a step above the norm (though costly) but not a big step. Bottom line, a Lexus is still one fantastic mechanical marvel so let's not let one negative dealer experience turn an LS owner completely away. Sure, the $7.50 charge should have been gratis but it may have been one of those instances where common sense just didn't prevail. Perhaps a note to the service mgr. (inc. a cc to the dealership mgr.) would assure a better service experience in the future. Sure couldn't hurt ...

Good driving -

Last edited by mewhee; 01-21-11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-22-11 | 05:33 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Excellent response. Expresses my feelings very accurately. As I mentioned in a previous post, the $7.50 is not what bothers me. It's the gradual reduction in meaningful service that attracted me to Lexus, the car and the dealer. The service manager did remove the gas charge, but a reasonable desire for customer satisfaction would have prevented the charge in the first place.
Old 01-22-11 | 10:45 AM
g26
Driver School Candidate

"The Lexus service aspect gradually has dwindled down to what I'd call a step above the norm (though costly) but not a big step. Bottom line, a Lexus is still one fantastic mechanical marvel so let's not let one negative dealer experience turn an LS owner completely away. Sure, the $7.50 charge should have been gratis but it may have been one of those instances where common sense just didn't prevail. Perhaps a note to the service mgr. (inc. a cc to the dealership mgr.) would assure a better service experience in the future. Sure couldn't hurt ..."

You NAILED IT!

Service experience is good... but nothing spectacular anymore. They even hide their water bottles now -- gotta beg for one if you want one. From the moment you get there the "scratch-n-dent" gestapo hover over the car to make sure every nick and scratch is carefully detailed so you can't come back and claim anything -- always an awkward way to start your visit.

Valet service is hit and miss -- somethimes they FLY... other times they forget about you and leave you waiting forever. The lounges are, eh, all right -- no biggie.

Service costs are ridiculous, but in line with the crazy prices other luxo dealers charge.

HOWEVER, they are always courteous and the cars always come back clean and get fixed right the first time. They got the meat and potatoes down, its the little icing, white gloves stuff that is missing.

I've got two mega dealers close by (JM Lexus and Lexus of North Miami) that supposedly have their "top tier" act together, but I haven't bothered to drive the extra miles to try them out.