LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Survey of LS460 transmission problems
Transmission has been problem free
77.14%
Had similar problem but I just live with it
11.43%
Had similar problem and Lexus corrected it (how?)
2.86%
Had similar problem but Lexus has not solved yet (how long since first complaint?)
8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 owners (especially AWD) please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 09:43 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I don't think I have your problem, but I'd like to be sure as I have an '09 AWD bot new in August '09.

Can you clearly describe how you duplicate the problem and what I should look for?
I also have a 2009 AWD and I get the shuddering/jerking while under light acceleration, especially uphill, in the following speed ranges (50, 65 & 70 MPH).

Just get the car in the speed range on an uphill and then lightly give it gas. (It reminds me of a manual transmission that is in too high a gear and is starting to stall.)

At 70 the car is actually shaking so much all passengers can easily feel it. I have also started to feel the shuddering while on level road at 40 MPH while driving at a constant speed (even with cruise control on).

For me it happens at several different RPM ranges 1100, 1400, & 1700, depending on speed, road incline, and vehicle load.

My car is a September 2008 build the same as a couple of other owner's who had the same problem. (Check on the label pasted on the B pillar of the driver's door.)

Last edited by edarte; 02-24-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 06:37 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edarte
I also have a 2009 AWD and I get the shuddering/jerking while under light acceleration, especially uphill, in the following speed ranges (50, 65 & 70 MPH).

Just get the car in the speed range on an uphill and then lightly give it gas. (It reminds me of a manual transmission that is in too high a gear and is starting to stall.)

At 70 the car is actually shaking so much all passengers can easily feel it. I have also started to feel the shuddering while on level road at 40 MPH while driving at a constant speed (even with cruise control on).

For me it happens at several different RPM ranges 1100, 1400, & 1700, depending on speed, road incline, and vehicle load.

My car is a September 2008 build the same as a couple of other owner's who had the same problem. (Check on the label pasted on the B pillar of the driver's door.)
Mine was built January 2009.
Old 02-25-11, 06:43 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

One interesting point on mine is that the previous owner did not even keep the car for two years so I wonder if this problem is why he got rid of it. If so, it does not say much for the certification process. Bought in February 2009 sold in October 2010.
Old 02-25-11, 09:28 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

My car is a Sept. 08 build and after a month of ownership, I don't have the problem. I have tried to replicate the driving conditions you described and I didn't notice anything.
Old 02-25-11, 09:37 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by btexpress
One interesting point on mine is that the previous owner did not even keep the car for two years so I wonder if this problem is why he got rid of it. If so, it does not say much for the certification process. Bought in February 2009 sold in October 2010.
My vehicle has the same kind of brief, first owner, history; bought in December 2009 and sold in June 2010. I was told the reason for sale was that the owner was returning to China. This is probably true as the car did have an extended warranty on it that was cashed in. I believe (correct me if I am wrong), the only way an owner can get an extended warranty refunded is if they are moving to a different country.

I live in a relatively hilly area where the problem became obvious quickly. Might not be such a problem if the topography is relatively flat.
Old 02-25-11, 09:43 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
My car is a Sept. 08 build and after a month of ownership, I don't have the problem. I have tried to replicate the driving conditions you described and I didn't notice anything.
I take this as good news as I really want to keep the car and I am hoping the repairs will correct the problem. If later year AWD owners don't have the problem and it is not the norm for 2009 vehicles than that gives me hope that the problem is correctable.
Old 02-25-11, 09:47 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edarte
My vehicle has the same kind of brief, first owner, history; bought in December 2009 and sold in June 2010. I was told the reason for sale was that the owner was returning to China. This is probably true as the car did have an extended warranty on it that was cashed in. I believe (correct me if I am wrong), the only way an owner can get an extended warranty refunded is if they are moving to a different country.

I live in a relatively hilly area where the problem became obvious quickly. Might not be such a problem if the topography is relatively flat.
Hilly here too. Maybe that is a key factor because it puts more load on the drive train/engine. Hopefully more folks will respond so we can get a more complete picture.

Just seems like Lexus would want to fix it because it can be pretty drastic in the right situations and I seem to be in that scenario *a lot*.
Old 09-15-11, 10:52 AM
Shorty006
Driver School Candidate

My 2009 LS460 SWB AWD has never had the problem described.
Old 12-30-11, 07:37 AM
bobbyc
Driver School Candidate

My new 2011 LS 460 with 3800 miles on it has the same shudder problem at near 40 mph that some of you have been describing. Is this something I have to live with?
Old 01-11-12, 08:02 PM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default Shudder

bobbyc

Regret to relay my experience.

I took the 2010 SWB AWD shudder/pulsing at approximately 40 MPH to Lexus arbitration (NCDS based in MI); the ruling was that it is a "normal operating characteristic".

This ruling was after four engineers - one from Chicago, one from LA and two from Japan examined the car for a day and confirmed the issue. The head engineer did give me a full tank of gas (they put 100 miles on the car) and two gift cards worth $100.00 each – small compensation for a annoying defect in a $75K automobile.

My car’s problem still exists and appears to be worsening as the car approaches 22,000 miles.

Best wishes if you pursue the issue - keep us informed.
Old 01-12-12, 08:39 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2011 LS-460 SWB AWD nearing the one year point. So far no shudder or wind noise. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-12-12, 07:03 PM
Dema
Pole Position

How do you know you have AWD? A dealer didn't give me sticker.
Old 01-14-12, 12:09 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for "AWD" on the rear emblem of the car.
Old 02-17-12, 02:51 PM
bobbyc
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 transmission

I have a 2011 LS awd that shudders at 35 to 40 mph. I took it to the dealer at just under 5000 miles and they changed the trans fluid 3 times per Lexus instruction. The problem was still there. Lexus dealer told me they will replace the transmission. I am now awaiting there call to bring the car in for a trans replacement.
Old 02-20-12, 07:33 AM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default LS460 AWD Shudder

Here is a suggestion I received from an independent garage that services all makes.

BMW had a similar problem several years back. They found that by changing the "ride setting" from comfort to standard (on the shift console) it lessened the shudder.

What occurs by changing the ride setting is that the transmission shift points are changed which reduces the shudder. Give it a try.

The standard setting has made my 2010 LS more tolerable to drive. The "sport setting" may reduce the shudder even more - this setting is to harsh a ride for me; hence, did not try for long enough to determine if shudder might be reduced even more.

Quick Reply: LS460 owners (especially AWD) please help!