LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Differences between the 10 and 11 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11 | 07:52 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Default Differences between the 10 and 11 LS460L

I've got an 07 LS460L now, fully loaded with every available option at the time when I bought it new. Anyhow, I'm considering an 11 of the exact same car, right down to options. The only car that matches what I have is out of state so the dealer brought me a limited option 10 to play with for the afternoon. They have no 11s in inventory of any variation. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the telematics between the 10 and 11 cars? Also, are there any other differences between a 10 and 11 car worth noting?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-11 | 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

tom, 10 and 11 are pretty much the same car, i don't know of any major option changes. 2010 was the facelift, little things got changes here and there, mostly cosmetic i believe
Old 01-19-11 | 07:03 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

I think just small touches like dropping the rear lexus emblem (sure something was dropped from the back of the car but not sure what it's).

Here in Saudi Arabia the engine horsepower went up from 343 to 375. I don't know if that applies to the American version of the LS.

I read about the flexibility in customizing some of the car's settings thru the nav screen in the '11 model instead of having to have the dealer's techstream thing. Not sure if that is also available in the '10 LS.

Finally, I think '10 had been recalled for something had to do with the steering wheel if the recall was something you're not particularly excited about. You might want to ask about what recalls and fixes for the '10 and see if it was something you want to skip.
Old 01-19-11 | 08:08 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Thanks, I appreciate the help. It's been hard to find the data anywhere.
Old 01-19-11 | 09:12 AM
iceburg
Driver School Candidate

Edmunds says:

What's New for 2011

For 2011, the Lexus LS 460's adjustable air suspension (previously a standard feature on all-wheel-drive models) becomes an option. Otherwise, the LS is unchanged.
Old 01-19-11 | 10:58 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

I was thinking about doing the same thing but i changed my mind because of the comment above. Air suspension became a special order item for LWB and none of the cars available in my area had it, therefore, price was no longer as negotiable as it would have been if the car was already available and didn't have to be built for me. I've already been thru this once when 460 first came out... I had to special order my car and it was a second LS in Baltimore. Had to pay MSRP to get it. Not doing it again.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:08 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dimapb
I was thinking about doing the same thing but i changed my mind because of the comment above. Air suspension became a special order item for LWB and none of the cars available in my area had it, therefore, price was no longer as negotiable as it would have been if the car was already available and didn't have to be built for me. I've already been thru this once when 460 first came out... I had to special order my car and it was a second LS in Baltimore. Had to pay MSRP to get it. Not doing it again.
Yea, I'm kind of dealing with the same game. To get the same level of options in my 07, it's a special order car. They tracked one down, but it's a very long ways away. They have no 11s to show me, so I have to hunt around to see what's different in 11 versus 10, and even then none of the 10s have the same option group either.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:35 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Not too many changes between my 2008 and new 2011 to warrant a new car. I can live w/out upgraded Nav system and turn signals in side mirrors. I decided to wait until 2013 for a new face lift.
Old 01-19-11 | 12:18 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

I ordered a new LS460 AWD SWB (Toronto, Canada) in December; about a 3 month delivery time. No inventory was available to see other than 2010s and there are five dealers within 10 km of my place. Delivery is scheduled for the end of January.

I joined an organisation here called APA (Automotive Protection Association). Amongst the services they offer is a dealer "pre-negotiated" price for almost any new vehicle available. I am one of those who hate the bargaining process used by the dealerships. I reportedly paid about 4% above invoice. Could I have done better if I was a good at bargaining; perhaps but I was content that it was a fair deal.

I purchased all the options available (only one choice here - the Technology package). I checked all options/standard equipment available in the US and Canada and found the 2010 and 2011 to be the same for the model I selected. Note that air suspension including AVS, adaptive variable suspension, is included with the Technology package. The only missing feature I would have liked is the lane departure/driver monitor system. I haven't seen many postings on this forum regarding experience with this but it would have been nice to have.

Looking forward to the end of this month!!!
Old 01-19-11 | 05:57 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

How disappointing that the air suspension is no longer standard on 2011 AWD models. It was standard on my 2010 AWD. I could NEVER have a car without air suspension after the great experience I have had with it in this car.
Old 01-19-11 | 11:32 PM
OBRon
Rookie

I just got a new 2011 460L last week that I special ordered in October. Took less than 3 months to get it. Orders have to be made by the 20th of each month because they only go in once a month.

I special ordered mine because of the unusual color combination of Starfire Pearl and Alabaster interior plus radar cruise control. I wanted the standard 18" wheels for a better ride on pothole-infested roads. Standard suspension which I find to be smooth and excellent. I shied away from air suspension with VGRS because I like a little road feel, don't like having more expensive parts to deal with down the road, and I don't really like the idea of fly-by-wire steering which is what VGRS is. There was a computer glitch with it last year that was corrected with a software fix.

The major difference between a 2010 and a 2011 LS is the addition of a brake override system.

Brake override systems are designed to automatically reduce engine power when both the brake pedal and the accelerator are applied simultaneously. More attention was given to this advanced safety feature in the aftermath of Toyota’s massive recalls concerning unintended acceleration.
There are several other minor changes plus they took away one of the paint colors. The air suspension became an option on the AWD models. There are scattered reports of problems with AWD models. The more complexity added to a system, the more there is to go wrong.

It seems that most of the dealer adjustments can be made by the user via the nav system. I made a few changes that make the car much more enjoyable. The sonar sensors are a bit less sensitive and the alarm isn't quite as loud—much less annoying when parking that way. I increased the sensitivity of the pollution sensor a notch so that the air goes into recirc mode more readily when stopped at an intersection in traffic. I also stopped the driver's seat from going back when the engine is turned off so it's easier to get out of the car. I found that it was hard to get out when the seat was all the way back which was the default.

I'm not sure when the B pillar was redesigned but I sure like the way it is now. Much easier to get in and out without scuffing the surface.

I really love my new car! It's incredibly pleasant to drive. I was on Capitol Hill today, stopping at the Library of Congress to give some papers to a friend. Made a U-turn on Independence and went back down the hill past the Capitol. Got into the far right lane at an intersection but that lane was blocked up ahead. My wife said the cab next to me was going to cut me off. I just smiled and said, no he won't. The light changed and the LS effortlessly powered ahead and over into the middle lane. Going home in rush hour traffic was a pleasure.

Love the brake hold feature and the radar cruise control. Both are really easy on the right foot.
Old 01-20-11 | 08:18 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

From the 2011 Owner's manual there are a total of 48 customisable settings. Of these, only 22 can be set by the owner using the Navi. Why not all? Makes no sense to me but better than none.

Edit: Here is an example that makes no sense. Under the “Power easy access system” the owner can set the driver’s seat movement when exiting the vehicle to Full, Partial or Off. However, a trip to the dealer is needed to set the steering wheel auto away and return function on or off.

Last edited by MikeE12345; 01-20-11 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-20-11 | 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
From the 2011 Owner's manual there are a total of 48 customisable settings. Of these, only 22 can be set by the owner using the Navi. Why not all? Makes no sense to me but better than none.

Edit: Here is an example that makes no sense. Under the “Power easy access system” the owner can set the driver’s seat movement when exiting the vehicle to Full, Partial or Off. However, a trip to the dealer is needed to set the steering wheel auto away and return function on or off.
that's lexus for you, they often limit the accessibility of user configurations
Old 01-20-11 | 07:37 PM
Nospinzone

I had to special order my car and it was a second LS in Baltimore. Had to pay MSRP to get it. Not doing it again.

I special ordered mine and got a great deal. Are you sure you wouldn't have paid MSRP if you bought one off the lot? I know dealers would prefer to sell what they have in stock first, but if they special order one for you, they make the same profit as a similar car on their lot.

In fact they make a little more on a special order because they have use of your deposit money for 3 to 4 months!
Old 01-20-11 | 08:03 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I had to special order my car and it was a second LS in Baltimore. Had to pay MSRP to get it. Not doing it again.

I special ordered mine and got a great deal. Are you sure you wouldn't have paid MSRP if you bought one off the lot? I know dealers would prefer to sell what they have in stock first, but if they special order one for you, they make the same profit as a similar car on their lot.

In fact they make a little more on a special order because they have use of your deposit money for 3 to 4 months!
Not only that, they pay no flooring interest on inventory.

Quick Reply: Differences between the 10 and 11 LS460L