LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 05:29 PM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Tires

Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Primacy MXM4? I've read things about the Pilot MXM4, but it doesn't come in 245/45/19. I've read about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, which seems to get good reviews.

I live in FL, no snow, lots of rain. I'm looking to get quieter tires than the piece of garbage I have on them now, Bridgestone Turanza EL42's. I've also read good things about the BStone Serenity, but I'm a bit skiddish about buying more BStones.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-11, 07:32 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrcd
Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Primacy MXM4? I've read things about the Pilot MXM4, but it doesn't come in 245/45/19. I've read about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, which seems to get good reviews.

I live in FL, no snow, lots of rain. I'm looking to get quieter tires than the piece of garbage I have on them now, Bridgestone Turanza EL42's. I've also read good things about the BStone Serenity, but I'm a bit skiddish about buying more BStones.
Thanks.
I put 4 new 245/45/19 Primacy MXM4 tires on my '10 LS Sport when the
EL42's had about 15,000 miles on them. They still had tread but I really couldn't stand driving on them and when I almost lost control on a slightly wet street I just decided to replace them. WORST tires I have ever had.

I really like the Primacy MXM4's. They have great wet/dry traction and are very quiet. I took the car to Cleveland and, while they're not snow tires, they got me around okay in light snow. Living in Florida that probably doesn't matter to you.

I've had them for a couple of thousand miles now and highly recommend them.
Old 01-21-11, 07:34 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bridgetsones you have are the worst. The MPS A/S Plus is a good tire but it does make some noise. My 87 yo mom has them on her Lexus GS and she always complains about them. You can get a quiet summer tire that performs great in wet weather like the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

My brand new 460L came with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 which are worthless. I want to replace them with Conti EC DWS once they become available again.
Old 01-21-11, 09:52 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.
I have Micheline Pilot Sport A/S. Very nice tires.
Old 01-22-11, 12:34 AM
StockGS400
Pole Position

If you're more of a spirited driver than go with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus because they have virutally the same compound as the Pilot Sport PS2. . . If you're more of a casual driver than go with the Primacy MXM4 for a more luxurious ride. . . Both of them will handle well in the rain
Old 01-23-11, 09:23 PM
dyeelitt
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 LS460L with Touring package, i.e. 245/45-19 tires. WHen my Bridgestone ER33 OEM tires were almost worn out at 25,000 miles I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS and the car pulled to the right. Costco Changed them with another set and the car pulled. I had the alignment done by an independant shop and the car still pulled so I took it to the dealer and they realligned the car and it still pulled. Costco put on a set of the Primacy and the car still pulled. I took the car back to the dealer and they verified the alginment and then put a set of wheels and tires from another car on and the car drove straight. Went back to Costco and they put on a set of Bridgestone Serenity and the car drove fine. Have had them for about 7,000 miles and these tires are great. Haven't driven in the snow yet but we had very heavy rains and the car handled like I have never seen. Very sure footed in the wet. I would take the Bridgestone Serenity tire over the Michelin anyday.
Old 01-23-11, 10:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by grda
I have Micheline Pilot Sport A/S. Very nice tires.
I had them on a dropped GS350 and I think they were the best tires I have ever owned
Old 01-24-11, 04:20 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate all the input. I don't know much about cars, but how would tires cause a car to pull to either side?
Old 01-24-11, 10:27 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Appreciate all the input. I don't know much about cars, but how would tires cause a car to pull to either side?
Unfortunately, the LS doesn't have a camber adjustment. If the tread pattern is asymetrical the car will pull (usually to the right).

If the car has less than 20k miles and is less than 12 months old, Lexus will replace parts to fix this problem (see attached file) -- otherwise the cost is about $800.

The tires will wear evenly, even though the car drifts. The more the tires wear, the less the pull.

I have the Continental DWS Tires. Great tires, but they still pull.

I'm thrilled to hear the "Serenity" tires don't pull. They'll be my next choice.
Attached Files
Old 01-24-11, 10:50 AM
Abe7333
Driver School Candidate

I live in Tampa. I just replaced the stock tires with Michelin. Wow. What a difference. I would recommend them.
Old 01-24-11, 11:05 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Abe,
Which Michelins?

I just looked up a pic of Serenity's, they're not symmetric.

Last edited by mrcd; 01-24-11 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 12:12 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dyeelitt
I have an 08 LS460L with Touring package, i.e. 245/45-19 tires. WHen my Bridgestone ER33 OEM tires were almost worn out at 25,000 miles I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS and the car pulled to the right. Costco Changed them with another set and the car pulled. I had the alignment done by an independant shop and the car still pulled so I took it to the dealer and they realligned the car and it still pulled. Costco put on a set of the Primacy and the car still pulled. I took the car back to the dealer and they verified the alginment and then put a set of wheels and tires from another car on and the car drove straight. Went back to Costco and they put on a set of Bridgestone Serenity and the car drove fine. Have had them for about 7,000 miles and these tires are great. Haven't driven in the snow yet but we had very heavy rains and the car handled like I have never seen. Very sure footed in the wet. I would take the Bridgestone Serenity tire over the Michelin anyday.
I have read about these problems but fortunately mine doesn't pull to the right with the Pilot A/S. I have the 08 SWB.
Old 01-24-11, 04:34 PM
snoylekim
Rookie

Can recommend Pilot Sports A/S as well ..haven't put them on the 460 yet because my CPO '07 came with a brand new set of Pirelli Nero Zero M+S All Seasons ... they're not bad at all , either, and a bit cheaper than the Michelins ... will probably switch back to the Michelins in a year or so ..
Old 01-24-11, 08:00 PM
RogerN
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Michelin Tires Only Way To Go

I had 4 sets of MXV4s on my LS400 and loved them. My LS460 came with Bridgestones and I hated them as they were noisy. Once I had them worn to the point I could justify changing them, I went with Pilot HX MXM4s because the MCV4s do not come in the LS460 size. The car was immediately quieter and they handle well.
Old 01-24-11, 09:25 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Originally Posted by RogerN
I had 4 sets of MXV4s on my LS400 and loved them. My LS460 came with Bridgestones and I hated them as they were noisy. Once I had them worn to the point I could justify changing them, I went with Pilot HX MXM4s because the MCV4s do not come in the LS460 size. The car was immediately quieter and they handle well.
Those are the tires that came on my car but they aren't very good tires. Yes, they're quiet and they don't pull but I don't trust them in wet weather. They have a reviewer's average rating of only 5.9. Here are the survey results: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

BTW, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires are asymmetrical.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tires