LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 03:15 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460L Buying Advice

I'm sure that this is covered in the forums on numerous threads, and I apologize for not being able to look up all the information. I am an Audi A8L owner and really do enjoy the car. The car, not the trips to the dealer. Due to depreciation, it will take some investment to get into a 2007 LS460L. I've read a ton about the car, but did the same thing when I bought the A8. I've learned that the really valuable information is found in forums like these.

I'm considering purchasing an LS basically for the reliability. I've owned mostly Japanese cars until my recent Audi purchase. Japanese cars in general have treated me so well. However, I was hoping that some people would be willing to share their positive and negative experiences for the LS 460/LS 460L so I will know what I'm possibly getting into should I purchase. I don't want to purchase the car and then find that I'm looking at a $2,000-$5000 issue.

I'm particularly fond of the air suspension, as my A8L has air suspension. I know this adds some risk. Any issues out there?

Again, any information would be helpful. Again, I know you've probably answered numerous threads like this. It would be helpful to me personally if you could answer or if there is a thread you can point me to, I really would appreciate it.

I look forward to possibly being a regular.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-24-11, 08:42 PM
OBRon
Rookie

I'm pretty new to this forum and just got my 2011 LS 460L less than 2 weeks ago. I absolutely love the car! Like you, I did tons of research first and considered the Jaguar XJ, the BMW 7 series, and the Audi A8. There are lots of things to like about those cars but a lot not to like. The 460L is simply not the type of car that does well in the slalom but who needs to drive like that anyway. It's a stately luxury car with lots of power but lots of understeer, too. I'm finding I don't mind the understeer because there's no need to race around corners and scare my wife.

There have been a number of changes to the LS since 2007 which was the first model year of the current series. The most significant changes were to the 2010 model.

I have the standard suspension on my car which I like a lot. It has some road feel but it's really smooth on bad roads. I also have the standard 18" wheels for easier steering and handling of potholes. The wider a tire is, the harder it is to steer and the easier it is to hydroplane.

For me, the factors that went into my buying decision were safety, reliability, comfort, and appearance. I didn't want a car that'd be in the shop too often and that'd be really safe and comfortable to drive. I didn't want a harsh ride but did want some road feel.

Good luck with your buying decision!
Old 01-24-11, 09:53 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

OBRon - thanks so much for your thoughts/opinions.

Anyone else?
Old 01-24-11, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you want a car problem free and easy to maintain / drive, look no further than the ls460l imho. the car isn't perfect, but overall i think it's a great car, especially if you are tired with going to the shops with your audi already. i had my ls460l for a while, love the car, very quiet and smooth. it doesn't have any road feel and very little problems here and there, but if all you want is trouble free and smooth ride, it's the car

to me, i will not get a car in this category without air suspension. yeah, risk, and yes, i have seen members with problems here (1 or 2 i forgot), but the ride is noticeably better
Old 01-25-11, 10:39 AM
tommarbru
Driver School Candidate

Have to chime in here also. I bought a rx330 for my wife 2 years ago and have had zero problems, with no dealer visits other than routine service. I just bought a new 011 LS460 for myself after having owned both an (2008) A8 and(2007) BMW 7 series. The 7 series was an absolute nightmare with the Audi not far behind. Although they were great fun to drive, that pleasure was diminished by the continuous electrical and mechanical problems I experienced. Both cars spent days in the shop for "new" downloads from Germany to the computers. This happened every few weeks and although everything was covered under warranty and I had a comperable loaner for the duration, it was still a PIA. I became "best friends" with the service dept.
I got rid of both cars at a considerable loss, I might add, and marched right down to the Lexus dealer and signed. After driving the LS now for 2 weeks I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at both the handling and steering feel. Having read all the reviews about the utilitarian feel of the LS, I have to disagree. I also took into consideration all the reliability surveys I could find on the LS, which have been stellar. Best of all, I don't plan to be on a first name basis with the Lexus servise advisor!
Old 01-25-11, 01:14 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everybody for your input. I certainly would love to hear any other thoughts/opinions.
Old 01-25-11, 03:19 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by bwilsongs
Thanks everybody for your input. I certainly would love to hear any other thoughts/opinions.
Many of the LS460s, LS460Ls and LS600s came with a trim defect that caused the cabin to have very poor isolation from outside noises. For some of the cars it was a latent defect that emerged later.

For most of the cars repair is easy and inexpensive.

The cars are exceptionally quiet when all is well.

If you find that your car is not as quiet as you hoped then look here for a possible solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 01-25-11, 04:04 PM
bwilsongs
Driver School Candidate

jmcraney,

Thank you for the heads up. I had actually read about that and listened hard during the test drive. The car was extremely quiet, so either it has been fixed, never had the issue, or is yet to come. I appreciate having the link handy.

"If you find that your car is not as quiet as you hoped then look here for a possible solution:"

I find it interesting that you write this like once I look at the car I'll definitely buy it. I'm laughing because I think you're right.

Thanks again for everyone's input.