LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

corner light bulb swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 05:13 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm possibly in a minority of one but I don't like to looks of LEDS at all.
Old 04-17-11, 05:52 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Couple more shots of the 921s
Attached Thumbnails corner light bulb swap-cimg0430.jpg   corner light bulb swap-cimg0433.jpg   corner light bulb swap-cimg0434.jpg  
Old 04-17-11, 06:22 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm loving the 921's over the LED's!!!

They are waaaaay brighter and match the side markers, and after my passenger side went out I was pissed! I have to say that we are pros at changing these lights out now, we have done it a total of four times now in & out. I wish the headlamp washers were some where else so the light pattern would not be blocked. I think it would look even better, although some light spills over to the other side. BTW these lights light up the front of the garage unlike the LED's did again much brighter, I post some pics up later also.

Last edited by Tee; 04-17-11 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 07:24 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yeah, I thought the 38 LEDs looked bright too, but I noticed right away how much brighter the 921s were. They are essentially reverse lights/parking/turn signal bulbs in some cars. In addition I simply don't trust these cheap azz deal extreme bulbs to be honest. So, I wanted to see if the 921's fit and they did. Now, I know I can roll with those for a long time and not worry about changing them out frequently. I love rollin with my park lights at dusk and dawn and these can actually be seen from further away
I have three vehicles with all Deal Extreme bulbs.. have not lost ONE in three years.. I have 12 in one car, about 9 in the other two, they are the same or better quality then you will find on the net, just a lot less expensive. In 2005 I started buying up all the LEDs I could find, trust me, you can spend more from companies like superbrightleds.com and get half the quality.

btw, what are you comparing them to? do you have a source with higher quality or is this just your first experience with auto LEDs?
Old 04-17-11, 07:35 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

on another note, LEDS are really only good for specific applications for bulbs in the 1-7 watt range, if your going to jump into a 19/20 watt bulb you wont find an LED that will put out that kind of luminance. If total output is what your after then filament will always win, you just consume a lot more power with them, but I have a mix and match on my LS its really a matter of fit for purpose.
Old 04-17-11, 07:49 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmasten
I have three vehicles with all Deal Extreme bulbs.. have not lost ONE in three years.. I have 12 in one car, about 9 in the other two, they are the same or better quality then you will find on the net, just a lot less expensive. In 2005 I started buying up all the LEDs I could find, trust me, you can spend more from companies like superbrightleds.com and get half the quality.

btw, what are you comparing them to? do you have a source with higher quality or is this just your first experience with auto LEDs?
Perhaps you got a good batch and I am happy you have had good success. That is an impressive track record. I am thinking you have stock in DealExtreme also lol .

Some of the LEDs I received from DE required some tweaking to stay lit and some don't "snap" into the socket securely..so I had to bend the contacts to make the bulb fit more securely. They are also very loose at the base where the LEDs meet the plastic. With all the work it takes to get to the Nike light, I don't trust the longevity of the 38LED for that purpose, so I switched it out. As far as comparing, the 921 filament bulb is brighter than the LED..period. Do I have a fancy light meter..no. I can simply look at my garage wall being lit up more than the LEDs did. Doesn't take some fancy device to figure that out.

BTW, there are plenty of negative reviews on these bulbs on the deal extreme website. Mostly failure of the entire bulb or some of the individual LEDs. So far so good on those I do have, I haven't had one fail yet, but the build quality on the bulbs I received don't seem high quality to me. But, i will not go and spend $30 for a pair of LED bulbs..exactly why I went with DE. For the doors, domes, trunk and other easily accessible areas, these will be just fine. But for a constant on light like the nike light, i need something in there that looks how I want it to look and last a long time. So 921 it is.
Old 04-17-11, 07:59 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

on another note, LEDS are really only good for specific applications for bulbs in the 1-7 watt range, if your going to jump into a 19/20 watt bulb you wont find an LED that will put out that kind of luminance. If total output is what your after then filament will always win, you just consume a lot more power with them, but I have a mix and match on my LS its really a matter of fit for purpose.
Yeah, I wanted those lights to be bright as possible..LEDs weren't cutting it for that application. As far as power, I'm pretty sure the LS is more than capable of handling these 921 mini bulbs
Old 04-17-11, 08:20 PM
Tee

Here are some pics and a vid of the 921's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YxNg69spc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udv_l-a-Nt0

To LED or not to LED the nike lights all depends on what you are trying to achieve and experimentation (YMWV) I like the 921's, it was a fun project now on the next one.

Last edited by Tee; 04-18-11 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 08:29 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Yeah, I wanted those lights to be bright as possible..LEDs weren't cutting it for that application. As far as power, I'm pretty sure the LS is more than capable of handling these 921 mini bulbs
Glad you found a fit. I pretty much stay to the festoons and T10s and T20s from DE, thus far I have found them to be excellent, Ill have to look into buying stock I have a garage full of bulbs! I never tried the multi elements past 9, so up to 20, 30 or 40 I always figured no matter who sold them there may be issues, too many points of contact, if light output is the key, which is why people buy the ones with so many elements the good ol filaments will always win. I appreciate the feedback, I may end up going to a higher output bulb like the 921, they look good.
Old 04-18-11, 07:14 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Glad you found a fit. I pretty much stay to the festoons and T10s and T20s from DE, thus far I have found them to be excellent, Ill have to look into buying stock I have a garage full of bulbs! I never tried the multi elements past 9, so up to 20, 30 or 40 I always figured no matter who sold them there may be issues, too many points of contact, if light output is the key, which is why people buy the ones with so many elements the good ol filaments will always win. I appreciate the feedback, I may end up going to a higher output bulb like the 921, they look good.
Thanks. When I was at Auto Zone, I saw the sylvania silverstar 921s also for about $10 a pair.

I was tempted to get them and see how they look since we had the cars torn apart again. Was wondering how they would look if I wanted to have them blend in with my 4100K HID headlights, but imma cheap baassaad so I didn't get em. But I may try these for the front domes. They should fit, may be close though. The benefit to these is getting back the true light fade out that the LEDs cut short.

Old 06-21-11, 04:59 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

did this mod and put 4300K HIDs in my fogs today.

i went with the orange bulbs for the nike to match my running lights. it's not perfect but d@mn close and i love the look. HIDs match my lows and nike's match the runnings.

i don't know about y'all but getting to these nike light bulbs was a ******. it took me a while and i had to really cram my hand in there to twist them out but eventually i got it.

beer time.

thanks for the write up gentlemen.
Old 06-21-11, 05:18 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
did this mod and put 4300K HIDs in my fogs today.

i went with the orange bulbs for the nike to match my running lights. it's not perfect but d@mn close and i love the look. HIDs match my lows and nike's match the runnings.

i don't know about y'all but getting to these nike light bulbs was a ******. it took me a while and i had to really cram my hand in there to twist them out but eventually i got it.

beer time.

thanks for the write up gentlemen.
What no pics of your labor?

I speak for CJITTY & myself getting to those Nike light bulbs are royal PITA, we did a more than once! However well worth it for the look I wanted, I run the parks with no DRL's all the time.
Old 06-23-11, 05:39 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

all i gotta say is, i ain't tryin to replace the nike lights ever again..hands hurt like hell after that...shoot, my hand still twitchin like Smokey in Deebo's pigeon coop
Attached Thumbnails corner light bulb swap-180599_153501128038534_153499688038678_270355_900406_n.jpg  
Old 06-23-11, 07:12 AM
Tee

all i gotta say is, i ain't tryin to replace the nike lights ever again..hands hurt like hell after that...shoot, my hand still twitchin like Smokey in Deebo's pigeon coop
LOL!

Last time I checked neither one of us are Hobbits either..

with small hands to get into tight areas.
Old 06-23-11, 12:42 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

for real.

i'll never change them again... but i LOOOOOVE the orange now...

it's so visible... before with the regular halogens you couldn't even see the swooshes... now they're right in your face.

Quick Reply: corner light bulb swap