LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

corner light bulb swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 08:59 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No no. I meant pic of it installed and turned on lol..
Old 03-18-11, 10:49 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

that makes more sense.. its late after a very long week. whew!
Old 03-19-11, 12:53 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

before I took the engine covers off, I wanted to test the bulbs in the doors, easy access.

I took three shots, of the 6 element white, which I have in the nike area now, the yellow 6 element and the 9 element white.

You can tell the 6 and 9 element white by the name, but there is a noticeable difference between the two in brightness, the 9 being about 30% brighter, especially at night. The yellow was very dissapointing.. its not yellow but rather an orange and has about 25% of the brightness of the white with 6 elements. I would not even bother putting it in the nike area unless you just want the visual effect.

The play order is 9 element white, 6 element yellow and then 6 element white

http://img845.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=9element.jpg
Old 03-19-11, 06:53 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. I can't tell the diff between the 9 and the 6 white from pic. You're saying 9 is 30% brighter than 6 white?
Old 03-19-11, 07:17 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

They are close in the daylight but there is a definite difference, there are 3 more elements. If it was dark you would see it. I tried the 9 element and decided to go back to the 6 on my Nike lights. If you want the lights to be more pronounced with the headlights on then the 9s would be the way to go. I wanted them to just blend in but be more pronounced when the parking lights are on, which is really what the nike lights seem to do.

the Yellow are really orange, maybe not a bad thing as they do match the parking orange lights at the top outside of the headlight assembly, but they are not bright enough, or let me say that my eyes are not as sensitive to the orange light as they are the white. I may at some point try the orange just for kicks, but decided today to just leave them as they are with the 6 element white upgrade, I really like the brighter, whiter light in the nike area.

I bought some 9 element bulbs to try in the trunk area, as I drilled small holes in the lens, and that makes a huge difference even over the 6 element upgrade. They do stick out of the lens by one element but it sure lights up the trunk area.
Old 03-20-11, 05:07 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

don't have the yellows installed yet. In fact, won't be able to install until this Sat/Sun. I plan to take pics of all the diff lights in the nike light since it will be all apart.
Old 03-20-11, 05:11 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I had some time today.. getting pretty good at it in fact :-)

I actually really like the yellows, they match the side markers perfectly and make the front end look unique

I had to install them in a tight area, so dont have great shots, but should give you the idea. I took 3 picks of each with the whites and with the yellows.

Ill keep em yellow. I thought the output would be an issue, but in the socket they dont seem to be

http://img856.imageshack.us/slidesho...ikeyellow3.jpg
Old 03-20-11, 07:53 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

the yellows look nice! great pics! In pic number 6, is that white glare on the right side of the pic on the ground from the white LED nike bulb or something else producing all that light?

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-20-11 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-20-11, 09:55 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

side door was open. Its just outside light coming into the garage.

The Orange (yellow) is really clean and tidy. I was expecting it to be dull, but its not at all. Its really kind of tangerine in color, but a nice change over the white its not yellow but then not orange its something in the middle. The Nike light gets lost with the white and the headlights, unless you really put a bright bulb in there.

I was going for parking effects, as I tend to wait for my kids at events etc and the orange now sets it off.. no mistaking this LS as theirs! its a nice contrast with the side marker at the outer corner of the headlamp assembly.
Old 03-21-11, 06:27 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasten

The Orange (yellow) is really clean and tidy. I was expecting it to be dull, but its not at all. Its really kind of tangerine in color, but a nice change over the white its not yellow but then not orange its something in the middle. The Nike light gets lost with the white and the headlights, unless you really put a bright bulb in there.

I was going for parking effects, as I tend to wait for my kids at events etc and the orange now sets it off.. no mistaking this LS as theirs! its a nice contrast with the side marker at the outer corner of the headlamp assembly.
This is what I hoping to hear about the yellow bulbs, you had me earlier when you said the light output was not going to be good. I had some 194 LED's that i have had for close to a yr now and finally got around to installing them in the doors and trunk thsi weekend. Still waitng on the my bulbs from DX to do the domes & park lights, maybe this week they will arrive.
Attached Thumbnails corner light bulb swap-photo-1.jpg   corner light bulb swap-photo-3.jpg   corner light bulb swap-photo-2.jpg   corner light bulb swap-photo-5.jpg   corner light bulb swap-photo-4.jpg  

Old 03-21-11, 06:29 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Also did the trunk too, it was cake to do for all the doors & trunk!
Attached Thumbnails corner light bulb swap-photo-3.jpg   corner light bulb swap-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-22-11, 09:27 AM
marylandlp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your photos are excellent.however,i'm unable to remove the grille despite my best efforts.Regardless of whether i push or pull on the tabs,the grille will not release.Are the tabs notched ?Your photos appear to show that the tabs are merely guides that slide through a slot in the fender piece between the grille and lights.Any suggestions would be appreciated. tx
Old 03-22-11, 09:43 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

tabs are notched... (notched towards outer edge) so lift each tab (start in upper corner) and work ur way around 1 by 1 as u pull the grille forward...
Old 03-22-11, 08:22 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marylandlp
Your photos are excellent.however,i'm unable to remove the grille despite my best efforts.Regardless of whether i push or pull on the tabs,the grille will not release.Are the tabs notched ?Your photos appear to show that the tabs are merely guides that slide through a slot in the fender piece between the grille and lights.Any suggestions would be appreciated. tx
also make sure your center bolt is out and the two top-outer retaining pins are also removed, then Like Shibumi1 says, just start with one corner and lift the tab as you begin to press the grille out towards you, you can get a little aggressive with it to get the first couple, its pretty durable. I start with a bottom or edge and once it starts to work loose just work in the direction that it seems to be coming out, that made it easier for me.
Old 03-23-11, 12:48 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

I was thinking along the same lines. I'm all about a nice clean parking light, not the dull **** color we have in the nike light from factory..i got my LED yellows(orange as you stated), and will most likely stick with them. I love rollin with parking lights on at early morning/evening since i don't have DRLs..that should look pretty sharp. But a really bright white LED would look pretty tight as well..I'm sure once i install them, it isn't really that hard. I have torn my Acura TL apart for many different custom installs. The pics from this DIY are pretty straight forward..lookin forward to doing this real soon

Originally Posted by cmasten

Quick Reply: corner light bulb swap