LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Connecting Home Link to Home Security System

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 09:07 AM
Red Riot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting Home Link to Home Security System

Does ANYBODY out there know how to read Home Link into a home security system? The Lexus manual says talk to the dealership. I've talked to people at two different dealerships and neither has ever gotten it to work. Also talked to my ADT tech -- and he is truly brilliant -- and he has no idea either. I had no problem getting Home Link to open/close garage doors.

Old 02-11-11, 09:15 AM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

You need to be more specific. Are you using some sort of handheld device to access your home perimeter locking devices? Or, are you talking about gate controls? Or lighting controls? Or something else?
Old 02-11-11, 09:35 AM
Red Riot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You need to be more specific. Are you using some sort of handheld device to access your home perimeter locking devices? Or, are you talking about gate controls? Or lighting controls? Or something else?
None of the above. I'm talking about an inside the house door/window system.

Just talked to HomeLink folks and they're saying it does not work with home security systems at all... in which case Lexus materials need to stop saying it does.

Frustrating.
Old 02-11-11, 10:28 AM
jmcraney

Well, I still don't understand. Are you talking about arming/disarming your system with a Radio Frequency device? Or are you talking about operating a X10/DHC/PLCC device that is normally operated by your home security system? Or something else?
Old 02-11-11, 10:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Are you trying the arm your car WHILE you arm your house or use your homelink to arm your house?

You have a remote that arms your house and you want to program that into your homelink?
Old 02-11-11, 11:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have ADT coming to my new house this monday as well as a garage door company. I will ask and let you know.
Old 02-11-11, 12:54 PM
Red Riot
Driver School Candidate

Arm the house from the car. Yes to RF device.
Old 07-13-11, 05:00 PM
michaelb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have ADT coming to my new house this monday as well as a garage door company. I will ask and let you know.
Did you have any luck with ADT being able to connect your homelink with your home security system? I have been looking into getting a system and want to make sure it is possible. If you did have luck, please tell us what was needed to be done. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 07-13-11, 09:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I asked him and he said he thought it was possible but that he would need to ask how. He wasnt aware of any customer who has actually pulled it off. We have a little remote for our system so we can arm it . I would assume that you would just store that into the homelink system like the garage remote. Not sure. Sorry I couldn't help. I am surprised that the alarm company people are not sure either.
Old 07-13-11, 09:26 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

look into viper smart start w home link.... chk this video out....

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/iPhone/Demo.aspx
Old 07-14-11, 11:39 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i looked into this about a year ago - was told that the version of Home Link in the my Lexus 2010 and previous years, does not send the correct RF. A newer version is available that does, but cannot be retrofitted into my 2010 LS460.

that was the end of that!!!!
Old 07-14-11, 12:22 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

Be careful putting security codes into your HomeLink system. I had a Toyota Avalon in the body shop a few years ago. I had the garage door codes in the HomeLink system. When the car was in an accident and put in the shop, some enterprising thief somehow accessed the codes and broke into our house. (The first thing the police asked was whether the car had HomeLink codes.)

When we got the car back, I noted the smudges all over the rear view mirror. It took two years, but the bastard was caught. He is serving time here in NV.
Old 07-14-11, 02:12 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Rykster
Be careful putting security codes into your HomeLink system. I had a Toyota Avalon in the body shop a few years ago. I had the garage door codes in the HomeLink system. When the car was in an accident and put in the shop, some enterprising thief somehow accessed the codes and broke into our house. (The first thing the police asked was whether the car had HomeLink codes.)

When we got the car back, I noted the smudges all over the rear view mirror. It took two years, but the bastard was caught. He is serving time here in NV.
There is a lesson about security in what you have told us. But, I don't think it is possible that anyone was able to get your garage code from you HomeLink. The better explanation is that they used your car to access your garage or that they used a handheld garage door opener that you left in your car.

Now, about how the garage door openers work: modern openers, those that are not over 30 years old, use a rolling code. For rolling code systems, the garage opener learns the code from the HomeLink (the HomeLink never knows the code to the garage because it doesn't work that way).

If you believe that your garage door opener security has been compromised because you have lost physical control of the HomeLink or handheld remote, you should erase the memory in your garage opener and retrain your opener with the devices that you want to have access.
Old 07-15-11, 04:57 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by jmcraney
There is a lesson about security in what you have told us. But, I don't think it is possible that anyone was able to get your garage code from you HomeLink. The better explanation is that they used your car to access your garage or that they used a handheld garage door opener that you left in your car.

Now, about how the garage door openers work: modern openers, those that are not over 30 years old, use a rolling code. For rolling code systems, the garage opener learns the code from the HomeLink (the HomeLink never knows the code to the garage because it doesn't work that way).

If you believe that your garage door opener security has been compromised because you have lost physical control of the HomeLink or handheld remote, you should erase the memory in your garage opener and retrain your opener with the devices that you want to have access.
I thought of a couple of other possibilities of how the thieves were able to open your garage and they may better account for "the smudges all over the rear view mirror."

They may have removed the HomeLink module from your car and installed it into another car. Or, they may have removed the HomeLink module and attached a 12V battery. This sort of thing is not rocket science and is well within the capability of most collision repair business employees. However, capturing the code from the HomeLink directly or from one of its transmissions and using it maliciously is akin to rocket science.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-15-11 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-15-11, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

WOW! I am speechless. I have heard of valet people taking customers cars to their homes by telling the car to go home on the nav, and they rob them blind while you enjoy your dinner. crazy

Quick Reply: Connecting Home Link to Home Security System