LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air Ride, Touring Package and Prestigious Society Lowering Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 12:57 AM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ride, Touring Package and Prestigious Society Lowering Module

I would first like to say hi to the crew here. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

I am in the market for an ls460L.

I have a rough game plan of what the first wave of mods will be and what I need from the very beginning to get there.

That said, I need some help and some clarification.

I will be purchasing an 07 or an 08. I want air ride as I want a fully adjustable system. I work in an industry that is highly image based and though I will want the car slammed for the weekend, she is going to need to look just slightly aggressive during the week. SOOO Prestigious Society Lowering Module it is.

Now on to the questions.
My understanding is that air ride for the years in question came in two varieties
1) a la cart option
2) Touring Package

Now here is where I am a bit confused. There seems to be implication that the air ride that was part of the "Touring Package" was sport tuned whereas the a la cart option is not. Is this true?

"IF" this is true, what does that mean when installing the Prestigious Society Lowering Module? Does it retain the "sporty" tuning? My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that the module simple re calibrates the ride height, but nothing else. I. E. it does not retune it, such as stiffen the suspension if you go lower, soften it as you go higher etc

I could really use some help here as it will dictate what I purchase.

I am coming from an A8L and would like as sporty a ride as possible. I am leaning to the Touring Package mainly because I want the upgraded brakes, but if it also adds a tighter suspension, then it will become a must.

I apologize for being long winded, just want to be sure everyone knows what I am asking. Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 03-15-11, 11:04 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, just so you're aware -- the PS module takes its sweet time raising and lowering. it also makes the car ride like crap if you decide to really slam it. if you want to drive low and raise quickly, you're probably better off going aftermarket. just my 2 cents, haha.
Old 03-15-11, 11:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

you are confused on the option. touring package has air suspension as part of the package, together with bigger brakes, thicker sway bars, and larger wheels. for cars with rear seats upgrades, it also come with air suspension.

air suspension is just that, air suspension. i still don't think the setting is any different from the air suspension in other ls460l.

the controller allows you to control the height that's all, it doesn't affect anything else.
Old 03-15-11, 11:33 AM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cheez80
well, just so you're aware -- the PS module takes its sweet time raising and lowering. it also makes the car ride like crap if you decide to really slam it. if you want to drive low and raise quickly, you're probably better off going aftermarket. just my 2 cents, haha.
How long would you estimate it takes to raise the car? My A8L takes about 30 seconds to raise itself from the lowered position to the raised position, which works ok from my uses.

I apologize for not remembering his name at the moment, but another member of the forum posted various pics with his while LS460 at the different lowering levels of the module. Level "3" roughly corresponds with what I could get away with at work, and Level "5" is what I would drive at during the weekend. Are these the levels at which is drives poorly? Or is it more around the "8" level when things go in the crapper?

Thank you for the help.
Old 03-15-11, 11:36 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kalel
How long would you estimate it takes to raise the car? My A8L takes about 30 seconds to raise itself from the lowered position to the raised position, which works ok from my uses.

I apologize for not remembering his name at the moment, but another member of the forum posted various pics with his while LS460 at the different lowering levels of the module. Level "3" roughly corresponds with what I could get away with at work, and Level "5" is what I would drive at during the weekend. Are these the levels at which is drives poorly? Or is it more around the "8" level when things go in the crapper?

Thank you for the help.
oh haha. you'll be fine then, i've been dailying the car in hollywood on 6 (which in my eyes is still way too high), which is the lowest i'd drive it at out of fear of blowing a shock. it'll be better than what i'm feeling, but it won't be as good as stock, obviously.
Old 03-15-11, 12:04 PM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cheez80
oh haha. you'll be fine then, i've been dailying the car in hollywood on 6 (which in my eyes is still way too high), which is the lowest i'd drive it at out of fear of blowing a shock. it'll be better than what i'm feeling, but it won't be as good as stock, obviously.
haha yes I guess we all have a different idea of what "low" is. I figured below 5 there would probably be some rubber contact on the upper wheel wells. What size wheel/tire package are you running? I am up in NorCal now and the roads here aren't as good as Hollywood, Bev Hills, Westwood etc. which is where I too used to live. I am sure that rolling down Wilshire down at "6" gets more than a few head turns though.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-15-11, 12:07 PM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
you are confused on the option. touring package has air suspension as part of the package, together with bigger brakes, thicker sway bars, and larger wheels. for cars with rear seats upgrades, it also come with air suspension.

air suspension is just that, air suspension. i still don't think the setting is any different from the air suspension in other ls460l.

the controller allows you to control the height that's all, it doesn't affect anything else.
Thank you for the clarification on the air suspension. I have read on several sites that the "Touring Package" had a sport tuned air suspension, but had wondered (and you seem to have clarified it) if the "tuning" was just the sway bars and larger wheels that are not part of the a la cart air suspension package.

I appreciate the help.
Old 03-15-11, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

setting 3 and 5 are fast, probably a minute max and you are done. going to L is when it will take a lot longer

yes, on paper they say touring package has sport tuned suspension. but in real life, i don't know, can't say i feel much of a difference. but either way, the controller still controls the height accordingly
Old 03-15-11, 03:00 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

haha yes I guess we all have a different idea of what "low" is. I figured below 5 there would probably be some rubber contact on the upper wheel wells. What size wheel/tire package are you running? I am up in NorCal now and the roads here aren't as good as Hollywood, Bev Hills, Westwood etc. which is where I too used to live. I am sure that rolling down Wilshire down at "6" gets more than a few head turns though.

Thanks for your thoughts.
you can roll the car on at least 7 and not have wheel well contact.

with stock wheels, nobody gives this car another look haha. most people still think it looks stock at 6
Old 03-15-11, 06:20 PM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

setting 3 and 5 are fast, probably a minute max and you are done. going to L is when it will take a lot longer

yes, on paper they say touring package has sport tuned suspension. but in real life, i don't know, can't say i feel much of a difference. but either way, the controller still controls the height accordingly
Thank you. This pretty much clears up the issue. A minute is fine for changing ride height. I still think I will aim to get the Touring Package just for the brakes, but if I can't find one for the right price, I now know that any air ride will work.

Appreciate the help.
Old 03-16-11, 06:10 PM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 LS460 has a rear seat upgrade (reclines and climate). How else can I confirm if I have air suspension?
Old 03-16-11, 10:35 PM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krzyd
My '08 LS460 has a rear seat upgrade (reclines and climate). How else can I confirm if I have air suspension?
As far as I know all the air rides have the Sport/Comfort toggle switch between the armrest and the shifter. If you have this switch, you have air ride, if not, then you don't.
Old 03-17-11, 12:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by krzyd
look on your shift plate, below the shifter. there should be a "height high" button. if so, you have air

As far as I know all the air rides have the Sport/Comfort toggle switch between the armrest and the shifter. If you have this switch, you have air ride, if not, then you don't.
no, that only means you have adaptive suspension, not necessarily air yet
Old 03-17-11, 11:04 PM
Kalel
Driver School Candidate

look on your shift plate, below the shifter. there should be a "height high" button. if so, you have air

no, that only means you have adaptive suspension, not necessarily air yet

Thank you very much for that tid bit of information! I did not know that and whenever I see the "comfort/Sport" switch in photos for used cars I have assumed it had air. I really appreciate the info, as you likely saved me several hours at a minimum. Thank you!
Old 03-18-11, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thank you very much for that tid bit of information! I did not know that and whenever I see the "comfort/Sport" switch in photos for used cars I have assumed it had air. I really appreciate the info, as you likely saved me several hours at a minimum. Thank you!
np at all, glad to help. but yes, definitely be careful. even on a lot of ls460 swb you see those buttons, but the height high button is the key (unless you want to stick your head into the wheel well j/k)