LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ipod connect module.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 11:56 AM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ipod connect module.

Sup guys,

Just picked up a lsl460 and I'm shopping around for the ipod module. Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-11, 01:02 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

only one, VaisTech

I run the vaistech sl2i-up and like it a lot.
Old 03-20-11, 02:26 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmasten
only one, VaisTech

I run the vaistech sl2i-up and like it a lot.
Crap, I just ordered the crutchfield one.
Old 03-20-11, 04:30 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm looking too ... the VaisTech SL2i-UP does appear to be popular. I'm curious where best to locate it's control box. Their FAQ suggests leaving it accessible for upgrades. Is that needed, and if so where is the best spot in a LS460?

I like the VaisTech ML+ for the improve sound and video capabilities, but VaisTech's Application Guide only lists "2007-2009 LS 460/600h L without Mark Levinson". Is this correct?

Edit: On second look that is the SL2iC; the ML+ doesn't list the LS460 as compatible at all. That seems strange.

I also saw mention of a "group buy" last December. Is that over?

Last edited by KYLS; 03-20-11 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added "Edit:"
Old 03-20-11, 04:42 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

I hear tell that nav-tv is working on a ipod w video solution for the 460 w ML.. but they said it will be a few months (at least) before it becomes avail.... (keeping my fingers crossed)
Old 03-20-11, 04:44 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
I'm looking too ... the VaisTech SL2i-UP does appear to be popular. I'm curious where best to locate it's control box. Their FAQ suggests leaving it accessible for upgrades. Is that needed, and if so where is the best spot in a LS460?

I like the VaisTech ML+ for the improve sound and video capabilities, but VaisTech's Application Guide only lists "2007-2009 LS 460/600h L without Mark Levinson". Is this correct?

I also saw mention of a "group buy" last December. Is that over?
i think the vaistech VML will give you digital sound, like the ML+, but the ML+ has issues with the backup camera, apparently. there has been some discussion about what works and what doesn't on the ML+ on the 460 -- a search would help a lot
Old 03-20-11, 05:21 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

that was my next question. what exactly wont function on the ls460 (w ML) an what will?
Old 03-20-11, 06:37 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cheez80
... a search would help a lot
It is not from lack of searching, for I've read many posts on the topic, but the various ViaTech models seem to change with firmware updates and many of the forum's posts are in non-specific car model threads making it confusing.

Additional searching did turn up the "December Group Buy" which was just that and ended on 12/31.

I guess I will wait until the backup camera issue is resolved for the ML+ if that is what is preventing it from being listed as compatible.
Old 03-20-11, 10:02 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

shoot an email off to the guys at Vais, they are very helpful.

sales@vaistech.com
Old 03-20-11, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sl2i-up will fit on all ls460, ml or not

vml works on all ls460 too

ml+ does not work on all ls460 yet, sometimes there are compatibility issues

sl2ic / sl2vi do not work on ls460

if you want simple ipod integration, sl2i-up is the most common. have done tons of them and people love it. some want better quality and/or need to use usb sticks and vml is the solution to go with. more expensive and bigger box to "hide"
Old 03-21-11, 09:14 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Thanks rominl! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

The ml+ video output is impressive, so I'm tempted to wait for a resolution to the compatibility issues. Do you think it likely they will resolve the issues in the next 6 months or so? I should probably shot an email off to the sales group as cmasten suggests, however I find most sales departments to be overly optimistic since their goal is to sell, where as the users give a more realistic view of the products.

As far as "hiding" the bigger box for the ml+ or vml, would you suggest above the glove box, under one of the front seats, or else where?
Old 03-21-11, 09:19 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

actually you dont get sales with that address you get tech support, its the way their system is set up I guess. I have found them to be very knowledgeable and quick to respond.
Old 03-21-11, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
Thanks rominl! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

The ml+ video output is impressive, so I'm tempted to wait for a resolution to the compatibility issues. Do you think it likely they will resolve the issues in the next 6 months or so? I should probably shot an email off to the sales group as cmasten suggests, however I find most sales departments to be overly optimistic since their goal is to sell, where as the users give a more realistic view of the products.

As far as "hiding" the bigger box for the ml+ or vml, would you suggest above the glove box, under one of the front seats, or else where?
hiding vml is not as hard because it's not as thick, you can find spot below the glove box to hide it as well. but if you take out the glove box, there is a great place to hide the box right above it. for ml+, i have never tried, but it's much thicker and hard to hide. i don't find any places below the glove box to hide it. my guess is taking out the glove box is the way to go if you want to hide it

under the seat i don't think you can do it, coz' it's all packed already. kick panel is all packed behind too

another thing to think about is where you will run the cables, especially the apple component cable
Old 03-22-11, 06:29 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

spoke to Eugene K @ vaistech an he says that in about 2 months the ML+ will be avail an func properly for the LS460 w ML... so i may jus wait...
Old 03-22-11, 11:44 AM
GSP David
Pole Position

Thanks for the great info guys. I might just return the crutchfield one and go with the vaistech.

Quick Reply: Ipod connect module.