LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 11:13 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the last four years, I have also been very impressed with JMCraneys' postings. His analysis is so sequential coupled with his vast technical knowlege. If he wasn't retired, I would be sending our HR people after him; he would be/is an asset to any organization.
Old 04-06-11, 01:00 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JFNash
Just press the Display button for 5 seconds and you'll be out.
Thanks JFNash, however, I am having trouble getting to the secret screen. To reiterate: Push and release "Disp" button then touch the screen in the upper left corner / lower left corner / upper left corner / lower left corner . Nothing seems to happen except with each touch of the lower left corner the screen contrast control lightens things one notch. Could the screen access be changed for the 2011 model year? I remember during the first service for the car the technician did seemed to access a different looking screen, black characters against a green background I think. I don't know how he did this.

Mike
Old 04-06-11, 02:54 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike:

This is a video I found on YouTube that shows you how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag3gtCwVtx8
Old 04-06-11, 03:08 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So in the video it shows up/down, up/down, up/down (i.e., the up/down sequence is done three times, rather than two) to get to the first screen.

Is that the trick?
Old 04-06-11, 04:50 PM
vancouverl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a difficult time as well don't ouch the far corners of screen just below where the map starts and you will get in
Old 04-06-11, 06:22 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Success! Thanks vancouverl and JFNash. It is necessary not to touch the screen far corners but on the map portion itself. My model year shows a different initial sceen than the nice video you posted JFNash. There is no "menu" to push in the upper right but the selections available lead to many other selections. I have no idea what most of them do/tell me but I did find the battery voltage of 14.1 V (remember the subject of this thread which I apologise for straying from somewhat). You are correct edarte. I misposted only two not three up/downs.

Now an nav override menu would be great!!

Mike
Old 04-07-11, 07:19 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Now an nav override menu would be great!!

I second that and a dvd overide as well
Old 04-11-11, 10:38 PM
beun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get back on topic, I just today had the lights stay on as well. After parking the car in the garage as usual and locking the door as usual the lights were still on after an hour when I went back into the garage. Pressing the lock button on the fob turned them off in the end.

It looks like sometimes the auto-lights off doesn't quite work.
Old 04-12-11, 06:52 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my guess would be a faulty relay under the drivers dash that is your culprit. If the electronics are working, but the relay is not, then it will "stick" in the ON position and maybe not consistently as you describe. The arming of the doors etc, may just be enough to nudge it, if this is the case, the dealer should be able to trouble shoot it. There is a whole process in the service manual
Old 04-12-11, 02:22 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

i've noticed that leaving the ACC on (to listen to the stereo, etc) will drain the battery MUCH faster than any previous vehicle i've owned.

i have a fairly new battery and if i have the ACC on for more than 10-20 mins, the battery drains enough to where the car won't start (just clicking when you press the button)
Old 04-12-11, 03:43 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The headlight "Auto OFF" feature begins its timeout from when one of the front doors is opened. So, if you conducted your auto-off test without opening one of the front doors - by waiting in the drivers seat - then the headlights will not automatically turn off and will probably stay on until the battery is dead, or you conclude that they will not turn off and decide to move on. If you conducted your experiment by reaching through an open window, with the remote key in your hand and cycled through the ACC/IG-ON/IG-OFF, leaving it in IG-OFF with the headlights on in the Auto mode, you would get the same results - eventually a dead battery.
Well, I didn't get this completely right. The way the headlights "AUTO OFF" feature works is: the timeout begins as soon as all doors and the trunk are closed, after at least one door or the trunk is opened, after the IG-On is turned off. If any door or the trunk is not completely closed the headlights will not automatically turn off. It works okay if the IG-ON is turned off with a door open if that is followed by all doors and the trunk closed.

Last edited by jmcraney; 04-12-11 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 09:55 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
i've noticed that leaving the ACC on (to listen to the stereo, etc) will drain the battery MUCH faster than any previous vehicle i've owned.

i have a fairly new battery and if i have the ACC on for more than 10-20 mins, the battery drains enough to where the car won't start (just clicking when you press the button)
I have left mine on for well over an hour when detailing it and never had an issue, I have done this several times, 10 min of ACC is not good, your sure all your seat heaters etc are all off? Doors open or closed? The OEM battery I never had much luck with, I have a DuraLast Gold battery now and it runs an aftermarket sound system that's pushing over 1000 watts. I never worry about it not starting in ACC.
Old 04-13-11, 09:22 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart

Can more owners comment on how this 10-20 minute kind of battery drain period relates to their experience? It sounds really extreme to me. I know my previous LS could easily go for an hour. I occasionally will listen to the ML while waiting on my wife. And I know the day will come when she shops for more than 10-20 minutes so I don't want to find out I need to call for a boost.
Old 04-13-11, 02:50 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by edarte
Can more owners comment on how this 10-20 minute kind of battery drain period relates to their experience? It sounds really extreme to me. I know my previous LS could easily go for an hour. I occasionally will listen to the ML while waiting on my wife. And I know the day will come when she shops for more than 10-20 minutes so I don't want to find out I need to call for a boost.
I've listened to XM for over an hour and never had my battery go down. The bluetooth and satellite radio do drain the battery, but I've never had mine go all the way down. I've never had problems starting my vehicle. Over the winter and when I'm not using my LS, I leave a battery tender on my vehicle. My vehicle sits in the garage all winter. I only drive my SUV in the winter...
Old 04-13-11, 07:08 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

i've never had much luck w factory batteries. i use and recommend Optima "red top" batteries (1000cca) they come w a 3yr warranty.. but the best part is the low internal resistance.. which means ''if'' it does go low it takes less time to charge back up..

ex: after that 1hr of detailing the car.. how long do u run the engine b4 closing everything up? most batteries would take no less than 35-40 mins (@2500 RPM) to return to a normal state of charge (80% or better) optimas can do this in half that time..(at idle)

Quick Reply: Battery Issue