LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Removal of LS460 front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 06:53 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Removal of LS460 front bumper cover

I need some guidance in removing my bumper cover from my LS to have it refinished. The bottom tabs are easily accessible and I can get to the 10mm bolts at each corner in the wheel well. I searched other posts but haven't found any instructions regarding removing the top of the cover from the tabs. Is it necessary to remove the grill in order to remove the cover?
Old 04-11-11, 09:45 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no, the grill should come off with the cover if i remember correctly but there's two bolts on the inner fender

you have to peel away at the corner of the fender liner to reveal the 10mm screw...or you can use a philips screw driver too...

if memory serves me correctly...

one bolt/screw on each side...
Old 04-12-11, 04:29 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply Hyper. So, if I remove the top bolt holding the grill, the bumper cover and grill will come off together. That seems really easy. Of course, that is after I remove the bolts on each side and bottom of the bumper cover.
Old 04-12-11, 10:07 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there's these clips on the sides and bottom of the grill
once you get the whole cover off, you'll see them on the backside
Old 04-12-11, 11:45 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the thread "corner light bulb swap" posted by Shimmubi1...there are pictures how to remove the grill. Very simple....5 minutes at most.
Old 04-12-11, 01:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

shouldn't you let the body shop take care of it???
Old 04-12-11, 02:21 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nat
Check out the thread "corner light bulb swap" posted by Shimmubi1...there are pictures how to remove the grill. Very simple....5 minutes at most.
Thanks Nat! 5 minutes for grill and 10 minutes for bumper cover. Mission accomplished.
Old 04-12-11, 02:50 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
shouldn't you let the body shop take care of it???
Yeah, but I would rather it be done right. Anytime I can participate in the repair/maintenance of my vehicles, I do so. Almost without exception, when I leave my vehicles in repair shops including Lexus dealers, I find that the technicians do not adhere to the standards I would expect when my vehicle is in their possession. For example, during a recent battery replacement under warranty by the dealer, the technician was a clumsy individual who dropped the battery hold down clamp in the engine compartment and had to raise the car on a lift to find it. Then he drove the vehicle out of the shop and ran the right front wheel up on a curb. As he exited the vehicle, he scuffed the speaker on the driver's door with his size 12's and I still have not succeeded in removing the scuff. I will replace dead batteries in the future. Further, my last oil change at a Lexus dealer resulted in the technician overfilling the engine by almost a quart of oil. I will perform any future oil changes for my Lexus. I know, I am picky but also retired, thus, have time to do this kind of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Mythicalni (08-27-22)
Old 04-14-11, 03:23 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
Yeah, but I would rather it be done right. Anytime I can participate in the repair/maintenance of my vehicles, I do so. Almost without exception, when I leave my vehicles in repair shops including Lexus dealers, I find that the technicians do not adhere to the standards I would expect when my vehicle is in their possession. For example, during a recent battery replacement under warranty by the dealer, the technician was a clumsy individual who dropped the battery hold down clamp in the engine compartment and had to raise the car on a lift to find it. Then he drove the vehicle out of the shop and ran the right front wheel up on a curb. As he exited the vehicle, he scuffed the speaker on the driver's door with his size 12's and I still have not succeeded in removing the scuff. I will replace dead batteries in the future. Further, my last oil change at a Lexus dealer resulted in the technician overfilling the engine by almost a quart of oil. I will perform any future oil changes for my Lexus. I know, I am picky but also retired, thus, have time to do this kind of stuff.
I'm the same way, I will do it unless it's something I can't do.
Old 04-14-11, 04:21 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CDW91
Glad I am not the only one who is "picky" Chris. PS: Like your wheels!
Old 04-14-11, 07:22 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CDW91
amen..I need to get brave and do an oil change on this car. For some reason, the "extraness" of the oil filter has me taking it to the dealer right now for that. I like my mechanic, he likes to chit chat and show me stuff about my car and how he is fixing it, etc. But he takes the time to really do it right..some dealerships are quick about rushing jobs to meet quotas and stuff. I will say that my experience with Lexus has been very good thus far