LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AC smelly...Cabin Filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 07:02 PM
lexuspower
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC smelly...Cabin Filter change?

My wife is complaining that the ac smells kinda mildewy, especially with the recirc on....could this be the cabin filter? Car has 20K miles on it and the AC filter light is not on.
Does anyone have instructions on how to change the Cabin Filter? Ive read somewhere that if you dont do it rite, you will break an expensive part. How do you reset the reminder AC light?
Also recommendation on where to get one for a good price? should i go with the charcoal or plain one?
thanks.
Old 05-01-11, 07:56 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

This is a pretty common issue in high humidity areas especially when we start using the AC after the winter. For the last few years, in spring, I have to go to the dealer for this mildew smell, and they replace the cabin filter and clean the condensor coils with some kind of a spray. After this I have no more issues with the AC for the rest of the year.
Old 05-01-11, 08:11 PM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smell coming from your AC vents is usually caused by mold and mildew thet lives on the evaporator. Some vehicles are more prone to this problem than others. Climate and how you use the AC system also enter into the picture.

Changeing the cabin filter may help some since there can be stuff trapped in it that can cause a stink.

My wifes ES gets the problem every spring.

I use either Wynns Airco Fresh or BG products Frigi Fresh to eliminate the odor.
(just google either of these products to find an online seller.)

Some will say to use lysol but it is not nearly as effective as the real producs that are made for this problem.

For best results use the product according to directions but be sure to remove the cabin filter first. You want the product to go all the way to the evaporator to kill the stuff growing on it. Leaving the filter in place during the process will limit the results.

After performing the service install the new cabin filter and enjoy stink free AC.

I have used both of these products hundreds of times on customers vehicles and my own.

The entire process takes about 30 minutes. Just becarefull not to breathe the mist and air out the vehicle as directed.

As for directions on replacing the cabin filter I believe it is in the owners manual. and there have been many post about it here...just search.

If your not a do it yourself type, you can fina shop in your area that sells these products and performs this service.

Good Luck

Old 05-02-11, 06:39 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

with the filter change (which I do twice a year) I also hit both drain tubes with a refresher kit, which makes a big difference to kill the mold etc that lives in the drain system

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/4481.html
Old 05-02-11, 08:07 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

If you leave the recycle/outside button set to "Auto" after you replace your filter you will not have this issue again, I learned this when having the same issue with my old LS430.
Old 05-02-11, 11:22 AM
KJFenton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks cmasten - I ordered my kit today. Do you take the cabin filter out and spray directly into the fan? What speed do you set the fan?
Old 05-02-11, 08:01 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kit is two cans, one large that has a long rubber tube and a nice black plug that is tapered so you will find the drain tubes under the driver and passenger side and just push the plug up into the drain so its tight, hold on to it with your hand and use the other to push the thick foam up into the drain system, about 50% on one side (3-4 min) and then the other, I used a drain pan on both sides after about 10 min it will dissolve with all the muck in side and drain back out into the pan, which is amazing to see if you have never done this.

Then the smaller can, is used with the AC on full and the car door and windows all closed. you pop the hood and spray the contents of the can into the front intake at the base of the front window in between the wipers.

you will leave it on full with the doors and windows closed for a good 5 min with the engine running and its the same proceedure they do at the dealer for several hundred dollars :-) GregZ had a good point take the filter out so its not minimizing the proceedure

It works really well and kills any hint of odor if there was one, but you will want to leave the AC in Auto going forward so that it cycles between inside and outside air, it does a much better job of controlling your temps too when you use this mode I have found

BTW.. pretty obvious but you DONT want to be inside the car when its running its 5 min cycle... its killing all the germs

Also I would do this at the same time you change the filter so you knock it all out at once and get all the fresh air for some time.

Last edited by cmasten; 05-02-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 04:31 PM
kmaahs
Rookie

Question Cabin Filter Unused

Do I understand that if I haven't been pushing the dash button that activates the cabin/pollen filter, it isn't yet in need of replacement? I just recently looked that button up in the manual, haven't used it at all and haven't needed it really in my 08 LS460. So is there a need to replace it or does it get passively used routinely whether activated or not? Thanks for the insight!
Old 05-09-11, 05:21 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

anybody know the part number of the cabin filter and a cheap place to order one online?
Old 05-09-11, 05:47 PM
vancouverl
Driver

Your cabin filter is always in use when ac is set on auto set on auto or otherwise .it should be changed every 20000 miles.
Old 05-10-11, 05:01 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

Originally Posted by vancouverl
Your cabin filter is always in use when ac is set on auto set on auto or otherwise .it should be changed every 20000 miles.
If that is the case, why the dash button that turns it on? Don't most people use the auto a/c setting anyway? Thanks for the info!
Old 05-15-11, 02:45 PM
lexuspower
Rookie

Got mine thru amazon for about $11. Great deal since I have Prime and received in two days. no tax either.
Old 05-15-11, 03:27 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuspower
Got mine thru amazon for about $11. Great deal since I have Prime and received in two days. no tax either.
Are those the TYC filters? Are they as good as OEM?
Old 05-15-11, 03:39 PM
lexuspower
Rookie

Originally Posted by bsl888
Are those the TYC filters? Are they as good as OEM?
yup. from my research it looks like their OE specd filters.
Old 05-20-11, 11:56 AM
eddie_k_
Rookie

This really solved my stinky AC prob!
Thanks for the info guys!

Quick Reply: AC smelly...Cabin Filter change?