LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460 tire reccomendations ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 12:06 PM
mickh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS460 tire reccomendations ??

i have the Bridgestones tires that came with the purchase & need to replace .
I live in Florida and was looking for a much more quite tire with a longer life cycle .
These bridgestone tires are " shot " @ 25K miles.
Was looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
I'd welcome any feed back .
Thank you ,
mickh
Old 05-03-11, 01:25 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

continental DWS..great tires! Tire Rack reviews are very very good and cheaper than Michelin Pilot A/S..but those are good too
Old 05-03-11, 04:15 PM
wrc7732
Driver School Candidate

I'm coming up on needing to replace my stock tires also. Managed about 35000 miles on them, but they were not on the car during it's first 3 winters so I'm sure that helped. I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my E320 CDI that I owned before the LS460. I liked them a lot. They looked great, and had pretty good traction considering they were all seasons. Better even than the Falken summer tires that I had before. And most important to me, they wore better and were significantly quieter.

I intend to go with the Pilot Sport A/S's again. I think it's a good tire.
Old 05-04-11, 05:42 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in FL and have 08 460L. Just went through this and after much research, here and on line-including tirerack, I went with Michelin Primacy MXM4. Only 3K into tires and thus far very satisfied. Quieter than BStone EL42s, which are complete garbage.

The BStone Serenitys are assymetric which may lend to pulling to right.

My wife needs new tires and unfort Primacy MXM4 don't come in size she needs.

Good Luck.
Old 05-04-11, 05:44 AM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

I still have the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 OEM tires on my 07 LS460 with 23,000 miles and they look like they will last quite a while longer. I keep them inflated to 33PSI (cold), rotate them occasionally and have no issues. I am not an aggressive driver. Knowing that some day I will have to replace them, I have been watching the discussions here so that I will have some ideas when that fateful time comes but indications here are not clear-cut. There have been several reports of “steering bias” after tire replacement and although discussions here have attempted to link that to certain tires the issue remains very murky for me.

Most, if not all, of the occasional reports of steering bias on this site have been related to replacement tires that have asymmetrical treads and directional treads. I don’t recall seeing any reports of symmetrical tread tires having a problem. There can be some compelling considerations for choosing tires with tread designs other than symmetrical but that is beyond the information that I want to share here.

The three main tread types, symmetrical, asymmetrical and directional, have some installation requirements that must be considered

Symmetrical Tread – Tires with this type of tread pattern can be mounted with either side out and their position rotated in any manner – front to back, left to right, diagonal, and circular (if the spare has the same tread type). The Bridgestone Turanza EL42 is an example of this type of tread.

Asymmetrical Tread – These tires have to be mounted with the correct side out and usually have “This Side Out” on one of the sidewalls. Like the symmetrical tires there is no special consideration for position rotation. The Continental DRS is an example of this type of tread.

Directional Tread – These tires must be mounted with consideration for their position on the car because they are designed to turn in only one direction. There is a symbol on both sidewalls of these tires to indicate the correct direction of rotation. Positional rotation, without remounting, of these tires is limited to swapping the front and rear tires on the same side. The Michelin Pilot Sport is an example of this type of tread.

It is possible that some of the reports of steering bias are related to incorrectly installed tires because the rolling resistance differences. Here are some views depicting correct and incorrect installations of asymmetrical tread and directional tread tires.

I am not certain that I have these pictures correct. If anyone suspects that they are wrong please let me know and I will try to get them right.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-05-11 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-04-11, 08:22 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrcd
I live in FL and have 08 460L. Just went through this and after much research, here and on line-including tirerack, I went with Michelin Primacy MXM4. Only 3K into tires and thus far very satisfied. Quieter than BStone EL42s, which are complete garbage.

The BStone Serenitys are assymetric which may lend to pulling to right.

My wife needs new tires and unfort Primacy MXM4 don't come in size she needs.

Good Luck.
I went with the Primacy MXM4 AS for my '10 Sport as well. I wanted to stay away from assymetric tires after the posts on CL and these were highly rated. Also read some posts that the Pilot Sport AS pulled as well. I have about 5,000 miles on the tires and really like them. Very quiet and very good traction both wet and dry. Really pleased so far.
Old 05-04-11, 10:42 AM
snoylekim
Rookie

For the money/performance , I like the Pirelli Nero Zero A/S M+S , although you don't really need all the M+S in Fla .. You can't beat the Pilot Sport A/S either ..I've run those on my 2 previous cars .. excellent tires ..but , they are directional , so check the installation ..
Old 05-04-11, 11:45 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff, to be clear could you rename the captions in your photos:
driver side front, driver side rear, passenger side front, passenger side rear.
Then there won't be any confusion about left or right or viewed front the front or rear.
Thanx.
Old 05-04-11, 04:01 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Props to JMCRANEY for that excellent post. I see improperly installed tires all the time on other cars in the parking lot just walking into the store. Actually saw a Conquest TSI that had the wider rear wheels on the front! FAIL...
Old 05-04-11, 05:49 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I live in FL and drive a 2008 SWB. I have had the Bridgestone Serenity tires for about 5,000 miles now. The car drives straight with no pull in either direction, the ride is smooth and it's quiet as well.
Old 05-04-11, 06:46 PM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

have michelin pilot sport a/s plus on 09 ls awd seem noisy my friend has goodyear assurance comfort tread touring extremely quiet great ride better than mine
Old 05-05-11, 07:38 AM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
Jeff, to be clear could you rename the captions in your photos:
driver side front, driver side rear, passenger side front, passenger side rear.
Then there won't be any confusion about left or right or viewed front the front or rear.
Thanx.
Joel, I have made the changes that you suggested. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-08-11, 04:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

A couple weeks ago I replaced the stock Bridgestones with Pirelli P Zero Nero. They are top rated by Tire Rack and Consumer Reports. So far I am very pleased with them. There is no drifting, but I didn't experience that with the previous tires either. They might be a tad noisier than the Turanzas, but I can only notice it if the radio is off, which is rarely the case anyway.