LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson Sound...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 10:04 AM
Lexking2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Sound...

After six months of playing with adjustments on my new 2010 LS LWB, I finally settled on turning the CD Disc Surround Sound "OFF" when listening to mostly jazz music. In the OFF mode, the music seems more balanced, and the sound is not so dominated by the front speaker. Also I have turned off the Automatic Sound Leveling. It is, in my opinion, is great for long distance driving, but I can hear more musical content with the ASL disabled and the volumn up at @ 38-40. I know that everybody hears music differently, but for some reason, either most of my music isn't appropriate for surround, or I simply cannot get the right EQ settings. Strange, though, my other stations are okay with surround on. Gotta say, the ML System is awesome, and it sounds soooo good even with surround OFF. Does anybody have any helpful comments on this subject; I am in the relentless pursuit of perfection faze.
Old 05-11-11, 10:29 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting observation lexking2.

Pardon me if this has already been dealt with elsewhere (link please) but I would really appreciate getting recommendations on what specific CD/performers/tracks sound best on the ML system, regardless of genre.
Old 05-11-11, 10:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have played with my setting as well and I find that the type of music I listen sounds better with the surround on. I like the treble and the mids to the max and the bass at 70%. This works the best with the music I enjoy
Old 05-11-11, 02:02 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexking2
I know that everybody hears music differently,
That is because everyone had different ears. Mine are very big.
Old 05-11-11, 02:23 PM
LiveWire
Rookie

I keep the treble maxed and the mids around 70% and the bass maxed. I also turned off all that variable speed and surround crud.
Old 05-11-11, 03:58 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

ASL off, high max, mid 70%, low 70% depending on whats on. Mostly hiphop and R&B.
?
Just one question, whats the deal with Lexus and the max volume being 63? Whats with that number?
Old 05-11-11, 04:33 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
ASL off, high max, mid 70%, low 70% depending on whats on. Mostly hiphop and R&B.
?
Just one question, whats the deal with Lexus and the max volume being 63? Whats with that number?
woulda made moar sense at 69
Old 05-11-11, 08:10 PM
Lexking2
Driver School Candidate

After six months of playing with adjustments on my new 2010 LS LWB, I finally settled on turning the CD Disc Surround Sound "OFF" when listening to mostly jazz music. In the OFF mode, the music seems more balanced, and the sound is not so dominated by the front speaker. Also I have turned off the Automatic Sound Leveling. It is, in my opinion, is great for long distance driving, but I can hear more musical content with the ASL disabled and the volumn up at @ 38-40. I know that everybody hears music differently, but for some reason, either most of my music isn't appropriate for surround, or I simply cannot get the right EQ settings. Strange, though, my other stations are okay with surround on. Gotta say, the ML System is awesome, and it sounds soooo good even with surround OFF. Does anybody have any helpful comments on this subject; I am in the relentless pursuit of perfection faze.
Interesting!! In my opinion, the surround sound is tailored made for classical, symphonic, big bands, and large ensembles. I do use it when I listen to this type music; it is simply beautiful. However, I think that most jazz music focuses on a single artist & instrument more which (I feel) causes too much sound in front when surround sound is enable; it seems to be more surrounded when disabled during the play back of specific jazz music. Also, I don't know why the max volumn is 63, but I do know this, the car is so quiet why such a high volumn? Anything above 40 is almost to much for me. Thanks for your comments.......still in the relentless pursuit of perfection faze.

Last edited by Lexking2; 05-11-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 09:53 PM
LiveWire
Rookie

Interesting!! In my opinion, the surround sound is tailored made for classical, symphonic, big bands, and large ensembles. I do use it when I listen to this type music; it is simply beautiful. However, I think that most jazz music focuses on a single artist & instrument more which (I feel) causes too much sound in front when surround sound is enable; it seems to be more surrounded when disabled during the play back of specific jazz music. Also, I don't know why the max volumn is 63, but I do know this, the car is so quiet why such a high volumn? Anything above 40 is almost to much for me. Thanks for your comments.......still in the relentless pursuit of perfection faze.
Different types of music and situations require different volume levels. I agree that the car is quiet as or more so than any other car I've had (I've had 9 cars in the last 14 years) and I've never had a car as quiet as this. However... 40? Thats where I start my music at. I find myself maxing out the ML alot of the time.
Old 05-11-11, 09:54 PM
LiveWire
Rookie

63 must just be a magical japanese number!