LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why no love on Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 07:55 PM
LiveWire
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no love on Top Gear?

Over the passed few years I have become an avid fan of Top Gear. Those guys and their witty remarks are just plain HILARIOUS!

But no matter how much I google, I can't find a Top Gear with the current gen LS in it?

I have some ideas seeing how discerning they are to performance as to why their isnt one, however I just want to see one on there, good or bad review (I know it would probably be bad cuz my LS corners like a wet noodle), but I dont care. It's my pretty wet noodle and its comfy, haha.

Anyone know something that I don't?
Old 05-17-11, 08:12 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree but unless it is sporty then you will probably not see one on there sport or no sport.
lol the ls corners like crap but I ride slow now... hopefully a drop on coilovers as well as a few chassis braces will help a little.
Old 05-17-11, 09:03 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the closest you'll get is a fifth gear review
Old 05-18-11, 07:25 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i remember that they did a little segment on the ls460 when it came out on the technology it had (this was all inside the hanger) and they just made fun of how much manuals there are and then they tried to show how the self parking system worked and ended up crashing it into a fence xD ill try to find the clip when i get home
Old 05-18-11, 07:29 AM
LiveWire
Rookie

Originally Posted by adamls2
i remember that they did a little segment on the ls460 when it came out on the technology it had (this was all inside the hanger) and they just made fun of how much manuals there are and then they tried to show how the self parking system worked and ended up crashing it into a fence xD ill try to find the clip when i get home
Oh to think of it, I saw that clip. I just meant to see a full test, with the stig driving and all.
Old 05-18-11, 08:18 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well they do have this review on their web site. The LS only gets a score of 12 out of 20.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/lexus/ls-460

I too enjoy the humor but I do find they are too biased against non-British autos.
Old 05-18-11, 02:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

You have to realize that Top Gear is an entertainment show. Their audience is casual viewers. It's not meant for serious auto fans.
Old 05-18-11, 03:51 PM
LiveWire
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
You have to realize that Top Gear is an entertainment show. Their audience is casual viewers. It's not meant for serious auto fans.
I disagree.. They balance the two audiences very well. They find a way to show the entertainment value as well as spit out and display the raw facts that serious auto fans want.
Old 05-19-11, 07:01 AM
LexFather

Actually the LS 600h L won "Executive/Limo car of the year" in 2007 on Top Gear (mag).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ds-thread.html
Old 05-20-11, 01:05 PM
Liquidretr
Driver School Candidate

It was not reviewed in the show like a Ferrari is because well, its not nearly as exciting as a Ferrari. Look at when they test the Competition, they test the high horse power version. Think Merc S Class AMG, etc. While the car is a good cruiser its not a European crusiser. Its not as dynamic, and doesnt corner when you want it to. The competition does, or at least has a mode to do so. It's also lacking in technology somewhat. The big reason is Also Lexus doesnt sell well in Europe. They are very centered on the North American and Japanese Markets. Over 1/2 of the world wide production goes to the US. They want to review cars that people are excited about and that kids hang pictures in their rooms. Sorry to disappoint but the LS as nice a car as it is, just doesn't make a great Top Gear review.
Old 05-21-11, 01:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Liquidretr
It was not reviewed in the show like a Ferrari is because well, its not nearly as exciting as a Ferrari. Look at when they test the Competition, they test the high horse power version. Think Merc S Class AMG, etc. While the car is a good cruiser its not a European crusiser. Its not as dynamic, and doesnt corner when you want it to. The competition does, or at least has a mode to do so. It's also lacking in technology somewhat. The big reason is Also Lexus doesnt sell well in Europe. They are very centered on the North American and Japanese Markets. Over 1/2 of the world wide production goes to the US. They want to review cars that people are excited about and that kids hang pictures in their rooms. Sorry to disappoint but the LS as nice a car as it is, just doesn't make a great Top Gear review.
Not sure how a car that parks itself, has seemingly ever radar in the world and introduced the worlds first V-8 AWD luxury hybrid is somehow behind on technology. Sounds like its leading it.

I agree that Top Gear the show won't test it unless they are going to test luxury saloons. Top Gear magazine however did award it executive limo of the year and were very fond of it. The show with the 760 V-12 vs S63 was a riot to watch, as the one with the Pan Turbo, Quattroporte and Rapide.

One of the main reasons the LS does not sell in Europe is that most A8/S/7 series cars are tiny diesels. A8s are FWD in many cases. They also are sold in fleets (over 50% in Germany). In the U.K the only LS you can buy TODAY is the hybrid 600 and 600h L. Contrarily you can buy a 4 CYLINDER S-class.

Lexus has to offer smaller engines to compete in Europe, just selling huge V-8s there will not work.
Old 05-23-11, 06:32 AM
Liquidretr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure how a car that parks itself, has seemingly ever radar in the world and introduced the worlds first V-8 AWD luxury hybrid is somehow behind on technology. Sounds like its leading it.

I agree that Top Gear the show won't test it unless they are going to test luxury saloons. Top Gear magazine however did award it executive limo of the year and were very fond of it. The show with the 760 V-12 vs S63 was a riot to watch, as the one with the Pan Turbo, Quattroporte and Rapide.

One of the main reasons the LS does not sell in Europe is that most A8/S/7 series cars are tiny diesels. A8s are FWD in many cases. They also are sold in fleets (over 50% in Germany). In the U.K the only LS you can buy TODAY is the hybrid 600 and 600h L. Contrarily you can buy a 4 CYLINDER S-class.

Lexus has to offer smaller engines to compete in Europe, just selling huge V-8s there will not work.
Top Gear magazine and the TV show are branded the same but largely quite different. They have writers who actually work for the competing TV show Fifth Gear. The hosts of the TV show dont write there much anymore either.

Yes Lexus was the first to have a car to park itself, charging several thousands for this option, Ford less than 2 years later introduced this system on base models for less than $500. Its a nice advertising point and may help the ageing Lexus customer base but kind of silly overkill if you ask me.

Mercedes was the first with the radar based cruise control, ABS, PreCrash collision, etc. In the Audi Camp they are class leading in Diesel technology and can proudly say the A8 is the only mass produced car in the world that no one has been killed in while in motion.

Yes several years ago the Lexus Technology was on par with what the europeans had but not true today over the entire line. The Euro guys continually upgrade looks, technology etc, the Lexus is largely the same car it was at launch. It doesnt compete well at all today.

With the Audi or BMW the users are able to go in and define how long they want each cabin light to be on or if they want the key fob to unlock one or all the doors. On my LS I have to take it to the dealer to do all this. Thats just a big step back. Don't get me started on how Lexus covers up the engine bay to hide the engineering they are so proud of and make you think you car is powered by a big lump of plastic

As a former A8 owner I have to correct you on several points about the car. The platform of the A8 is AWD only! (Owing its genes to the legendary Quattro rally car, Where is that Lexus Racing heritage?)) There has never been a FWD version and I would assume there will never be one either as that is one of the features many really like. The car is built on the Audi Aluminum Space Frame which is extremely strong, light, and safe. As for the Diesel A8, They come as 3L V6 TDI producing 247 bhp, and 407 LBF and as a TT 4.2 LV8 produce 345bhp, and an electronically limited 590 LBF, so not exactly tiny in output or displacement. You can even get the W12 or a variant of the Lamborghini V10 if you so choose. Not sure where your getting your data about it being a fleet car but you just done see them all over or used for things such as Taxi. I know the BMW 7 series and S Class are used as fleet cars though.

As for the S-class yes you can buy it with a 4C but its a diesel so its not as bad as it seems. Most of the engine line is V6, V8, V12
Old 05-23-11, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Liquidretr
Top Gear magazine and the TV show are branded the same but largely quite different. They have writers who actually work for the competing TV show Fifth Gear. The hosts of the TV show dont write there much anymore either.

Yes Lexus was the first to have a car to park itself, charging several thousands for this option, Ford less than 2 years later introduced this system on base models for less than $500. Its a nice advertising point and may help the ageing Lexus customer base but kind of silly overkill if you ask me.

Mercedes was the first with the radar based cruise control, ABS, PreCrash collision, etc. In the Audi Camp they are class leading in Diesel technology and can proudly say the A8 is the only mass produced car in the world that no one has been killed in while in motion.

Yes several years ago the Lexus Technology was on par with what the europeans had but not true today over the entire line. The Euro guys continually upgrade looks, technology etc, the Lexus is largely the same car it was at launch. It doesnt compete well at all today.

With the Audi or BMW the users are able to go in and define how long they want each cabin light to be on or if they want the key fob to unlock one or all the doors. On my LS I have to take it to the dealer to do all this. Thats just a big step back. Don't get me started on how Lexus covers up the engine bay to hide the engineering they are so proud of and make you think you car is powered by a big lump of plastic

As a former A8 owner I have to correct you on several points about the car. The platform of the A8 is AWD only! (Owing its genes to the legendary Quattro rally car, Where is that Lexus Racing heritage?)) There has never been a FWD version and I would assume there will never be one either as that is one of the features many really like. The car is built on the Audi Aluminum Space Frame which is extremely strong, light, and safe. As for the Diesel A8, They come as 3L V6 TDI producing 247 bhp, and 407 LBF and as a TT 4.2 LV8 produce 345bhp, and an electronically limited 590 LBF, so not exactly tiny in output or displacement. You can even get the W12 or a variant of the Lamborghini V10 if you so choose. Not sure where your getting your data about it being a fleet car but you just done see them all over or used for things such as Taxi. I know the BMW 7 series and S Class are used as fleet cars though.

As for the S-class yes you can buy it with a 4C but its a diesel so its not as bad as it seems. Most of the engine line is V6, V8, V12
I am not here to say one is better, I have great admiration for the Germans. My point is to say Lexus has technology. Lexus was first with night vision in the LX 450 years ago. The current LS debuted 11 world firsts including the first application of LED headlights. Lexus is by far the leader in hybrid technology whereas the Germans lead with diesels. Clearly the Germans are known as innovators, what I am saying is Lexus has innovated as well they just don't go about screaming about it like the Germans do.

As for the A8, wonderful car and I am well aware of the large engines but it is offered in FWD and the FWD model is the best seller in the U.K. To save its "prestige" it is not offered here and most people have no idea it is offered.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...on-review.html

Known for its all-aluminium spaceframe construction and luxo-barge looks, the A8 sells modestly around the world and is admired both for its meticulous interior and its all-weather traction.

It's ironic, then, that the most popular A8 model in Britain will be the front-wheel-drive model powered by the smallest diesel engine, which will sell mainly to the chauffeur market. The back seat is the closest that most of us will ever get to driving the new A8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A8

, the A8 has been offered with front wheel drive or permanent four-wheel drive,
http://www.audiworld.com/news/05/a832/content.shtml

The Audi A8 3.2 FSI will be available both with front-wheel drive and quattro permanent four-wheel drive. The power generated by the front-wheel-drive six-cylinder model is handled by the continuously variable multitronic transmission. The A8 3.2 FSI quattro comes with a 6-speed tiptronic gearbox.

Fleet car data
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...t-sales-47913/

Audi and BMW "have the fewest private customers of all brands in Germany," with just 33.5% and 32.8% respectively. Mercedes was least likely to send a vehicle to Deutsch Hertz, with 50.1% going to private owners. VW rang in at 47.5%, Ford at 41%, and Opel tallied 39%.
Audi has a long racing heritage, it is a much older brand. Lexus has raced in Rolex, JGTC, Targa and other races, we both know they are not a brand entrenched in racing.
Old 05-24-11, 10:27 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

heres the one on fifth gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlItQHWg-Qs