LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08" Ls460L - I want to have Ipod access in my car - whats best magul?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 06:30 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the installation is actually the same between the two, you access the same harnesses, programming process the same. the only difference is the size of the brain itself. the sl2i-up is smaller, easier to hide. the vml is larger so you need to be a little more creative in hiding it behind the carpet or somewhere else.

between sl2i-up and vml, it really depends on what you want. if you want just ipod (and only ipod), most people think the sl2i-up is more than enough (most people i deal with love it). but if you want the flexibility to use usb drives, and/or if you care about the best quality digital sound, then vml is the no brainer
Thank you.. So the VML sounds like an upgrade in sound quality.. Is the ML+ an upgrade in sound quality to the VML? If so, maybe I should just wait for the ML+...

I also need to consider the fact that I do want a clean installation. I'd love to have the piece I need to hide in the glove compartment...
Old 05-24-11, 06:54 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I also need to consider the fact that I do want a clean installation. I'd love to have the piece I need to hide in the glove compartment...
MBR is da man

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ompatible.html
Old 05-24-11, 07:51 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I'm beginning to think the sl2i-up may be better for me.. I have a 160gb iPod Classic that I'm never going to remove (since it's charged by the sl2i-up) and I'll never use a USB connection. And, I never want to play video on my navigation screen. So the only thing I have to worry about is the possibility that I MIGHT notice lesser sound quality with the analog (non-digital) sl2i-up - which I probably won't.. The good news is the unit is easier to hide...

Now I just need to see if the installation is something I can do. If it is, I'll just buy it and get it done...
Old 05-24-11, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Thank you.. So the VML sounds like an upgrade in sound quality.. Is the ML+ an upgrade in sound quality to the VML? If so, maybe I should just wait for the ML+...

ml+ has the same sound quality as the vml. ml+ has video setup, that's what different about it. of course at a premium too. so it's about what you need. and ml+ is even bigger than vml in size.

if you are comfortable with taking out the glove box, you should have no problem finding spaces to hide these

I'm beginning to think the sl2i-up may be better for me.. I have a 160gb iPod Classic that I'm never going to remove (since it's charged by the sl2i-up) and I'll never use a USB connection. And, I never want to play video on my navigation screen. So the only thing I have to worry about is the possibility that I MIGHT notice lesser sound quality with the analog (non-digital) sl2i-up - which I probably won't.. The good news is the unit is easier to hide...

Now I just need to see if the installation is something I can do. If it is, I'll just buy it and get it done...
i will tell you this. 90% of people i deal with, they ended up getting sl2i-up and they are just as happy. the sound is not "bad" by any means. and keep in mind, the audio can only be as good as how they were coded. so if the songs are of lower normal quality to begin with, rather than lossless format or so, then the vml probably won't help that much

too bad you are from farther away, if you are here i would have no problem letting you sit in my car and listen to the sound quality
Old 05-27-11, 07:02 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had sent an emails to ViaTech (sales@vaistech.com) last week on this but never received a response back. I'm hopeful that the ML+ will be compatible with my '07 LS460L soon. It would just be nice to know what their plans for working on it are.

I saw this post on their forum,
http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542
which leads me to believe it may be Fall before it is addressed, assuming my car is considered a "gen-5".
Old 05-27-11, 09:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't wait to get mine hooked up. I am so tired of the ipod in the cup holder. I miss jumping the tracks from the steering wheel
Old 05-27-11, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KYLS
I had sent an emails to ViaTech (sales@vaistech.com) last week on this but never received a response back. I'm hopeful that the ML+ will be compatible with my '07 LS460L soon. It would just be nice to know what their plans for working on it are.

which leads me to believe it may be Fall before it is addressed, assuming my car is considered a "gen-5".
as far as i know, ml+ not fully available for ls460 yet.

the thread you posted doesn't apply. that thread is about toyota, which from my understanding is a bit different from lexus. but yes, your car has gen5 system
Old 05-28-11, 06:28 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Use the online chat service on their website. I chatted with a guy who confirmed that back-up camera may not work. In fact he said you'll have to sacrifice back-up camera.

So ML is the way to go I guess.
Old 05-28-11, 02:00 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ML+ for gen-6 will be compatible to gen-5. Wait a few weeks and buy the ML+ instead of the other devices such as VML / SL2iC. VML is audio only. VML and ML+ audio quality is identical: Cristal clear sound and supports FLAC, too.
iPod Classic is not supported. iOS4x is minimum.
Old 05-28-11, 08:51 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
as far as i know, ml+ not fully available for ls460 yet.
I'll keep waiting and watching; planning to connect an iPod Touch for lossless audio once they get the backup camera issue solved. Curious to see how the interface for FLAC on the internal Hard Drive works too.

Originally Posted by JFNash
Use the online chat service on their website.
Good suggestion. I guess if you already did then I have my answer, though I may see if they can put me on a notification list for when a resolution arrives. Good information guys!
Old 05-31-11, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I'll keep waiting and watching; planning to connect an iPod Touch for lossless audio once they get the backup camera issue solved. Curious to see how the interface for FLAC on the internal Hard Drive works too.

Good suggestion. I guess if you already did then I have my answer, though I may see if they can put me on a notification list for when a resolution arrives. Good information guys!
i have been waiting too
Old 06-02-11, 10:55 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

iPod Classic isn't supported?
Old 06-02-11, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

iPod Classic isn't supported?
for what unit? for ml+ you need ios4 so that means itouch or iphone. otherwise sl2i-up supports classic
Old 06-02-11, 10:21 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Noob intrusion here... I hav an 08 without the ML system and I was wondering if I would be able to have video capabilities or not?? Sorry I just get confused by all the different systems and what is working for what vehicle :/ I mean so what is my best choice to go with if you don't mind me asking?? Thanks
Old 06-02-11, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by adamls2
Noob intrusion here... I hav an 08 without the ML system and I was wondering if I would be able to have video capabilities or not?? Sorry I just get confused by all the different systems and what is working for what vehicle :/ I mean so what is my best choice to go with if you don't mind me asking?? Thanks
if you don't have ml, you can put in sl2vi or sl2ic for ipod (both audio and video). you want to double check with vaistech, but i believe you might be able to do ml+ too

Quick Reply: 08" Ls460L - I want to have Ipod access in my car - whats best magul?