LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vais SL2i-UP Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 10:22 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vais SL2i-UP Problems

I have emailed the Vais guys so they may figure this out, but in the meantime I thought I would post the problem here to see if anyone else has seen this.

I first installed the SL2i-UP in my 2008 LS460 which has the ML sound system.

No problems with the physical installation, but the unit produced no sound from the iPod. In addition, while installed the radio would not produce any sound from any of the other sources (AM/FM or CD).

The display shows the track name and playlist name and even ticks the clock away as though the track is playing, but there is no sound (see attached picture).

Then I looked at the Sound settings on the radio and saw that the Bass and Treble settings were shifted all the way to the max and the Fader shifted all the way to the back and the Balance shifted all the way to the right (see attached picture). The touch screen doesn't allow me to change these Sound settings as it normally should. When I remove the Vais unit, everything works fine.

I returned the original unit to Vais and described the problem. They said the unit was fine so I suggested perhaps the wiring harness was bad. They returned the unit (I don't know if it was the original or a replacement) and I reinstalled it only to get the exact same results.

So, I've emailed them and I hope they will come up with something. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Vais SL2i-UP Problems-sound-controls.jpg   Vais SL2i-UP Problems-track-info.jpg  
Old 05-23-11, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you still have the same problem? what part of ca are you in?
Old 05-23-11, 12:14 PM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Orange County.
Old 05-23-11, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sending you a private message
Old 05-23-11, 05:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am curious to see what happened
Old 05-24-11, 08:45 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am curious to see what happened
Vais is sending another wiring harness which should arrive tomorrow.
Old 05-31-11, 09:32 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

For those of you following this, the unit now works perfectly.

Vais ultimately sent a 12 pin harness to try instead of a 20 pin harness that was originally sent. Vais said that either should work but for some reason in my car the 20 pin didn't work, and the 12 pin did.

Anyway, they took care of it and it is a very cool product.
Old 06-09-11, 08:39 PM
ilovemaui
Driver School Candidate

I can't get the cd changer to show on the nav. I can play the ipod but I have to control it through the ipod itself. and that only works in simple mode. If I cahnge out of simple mode I can only listen to the first album but I can change songs through the steering wheel controls. No song titles are displayed any where except on the ipod itself.

I have it installed in a 2007 RX 400h with nav.
Old 06-09-11, 08:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Old 06-09-11, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I can't get the cd changer to show on the nav. I can play the ipod but I have to control it through the ipod itself. and that only works in simple mode. If I cahnge out of simple mode I can only listen to the first album but I can change songs through the steering wheel controls. No song titles are displayed any where except on the ipod itself.

I have it installed in a 2007 RX 400h with nav.
you didn't do the emulation correctly
Old 06-13-11, 08:19 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Default display artist

As long as this thread is still alive, I do have one more question regarding the display.

It seems the default display shows the "CD slots", numerals 1 - 6, which are in fact playlists, and above those numerals it shows the current file (playlist) and the current track name.

I would like to be able to see the artist name. I know that I can press "Folder" and then "Details" but those options are greyed out while the car is moving. Is there something I can push while the car is moving to see the artist.

In my 2001 LS430, I was able to do this with whatever Vais unit was compatible with that car.
Old 06-13-11, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the 6 numbers are not playlist, they are playback method. 1 is by playlists, 2 is by artists, 3 is by albums, etc...

unfortunately in that display you can only see album name and song name. artist information is only in the details tab which is grayed out as you mentioned. unless you get the nav override
Old 06-13-11, 07:35 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jpf5911
As long as this thread is still alive, I do have one more question regarding the display.

It seems the default display shows the "CD slots", numerals 1 - 6, which are in fact playlists, and above those numerals it shows the current file (playlist) and the current track name.

I would like to be able to see the artist name. I know that I can press "Folder" and then "Details" but those options are greyed out while the car is moving. Is there something I can push while the car is moving to see the artist.

In my 2001 LS430, I was able to do this with whatever Vais unit was compatible with that car.
I don't know if this will apply to you, but I solve my problem by how I name my playlists. My playlist consist of complete albums. When naming each album (in the playlist), I first list the artist and then a dash followed by the name of the album: Artist - Name of Album.

Playlist keeps the playlist alphabetically. I just use first names of the artists buy you can use any format you choose. When playing the iPod in the car, the name of the playlist appears and the name of each song then appears as each song is played.

I have about 100 albums on my iPod and I like to play the most recent additions. I accomplish this by putting a numberical number in front of each album, such as 1., 2., 3., etc. This put them at the top of the playlist ahead of the alphabetical names of the artist/title of album. As you get new music, just drop the numerical numbers and it goes back into your playlist alphabetically.

This works very nice for me. However if you have a lot of single songs it may not work so well.
Old 06-14-11, 11:16 AM
jpf5911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I don't know if this will apply to you, but I solve my problem by how I name my playlists. My playlist consist of complete albums. When naming each album (in the playlist), I first list the artist and then a dash followed by the name of the album: Artist - Name of Album.

Playlist keeps the playlist alphabetically. I just use first names of the artists buy you can use any format you choose. When playing the iPod in the car, the name of the playlist appears and the name of each song then appears as each song is played.

I have about 100 albums on my iPod and I like to play the most recent additions. I accomplish this by putting a numberical number in front of each album, such as 1., 2., 3., etc. This put them at the top of the playlist ahead of the alphabetical names of the artist/title of album. As you get new music, just drop the numerical numbers and it goes back into your playlist alphabetically.

This works very nice for me. However if you have a lot of single songs it may not work so well.
That is a very clever approach, but it would not work for me as I mainly have 3 or 4 playlists with hundreds of single songs rather than whole albums. Too bad, I really liked the feature in my LS430 unit where I could toggle to see the artist name for those (rare) times when I couldn't remember it.
Old 06-14-11, 12:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jpf5911
That is a very clever approach, but it would not work for me as I mainly have 3 or 4 playlists with hundreds of single songs rather than whole albums. Too bad, I really liked the feature in my LS430 unit where I could toggle to see the artist name for those (rare) times when I couldn't remember it.
get the ps override as well so you can use the nav too

Quick Reply: Vais SL2i-UP Problems