LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why are used LS460s so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11 | 01:56 PM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have to admit I was pretty happy to find that they were so attainable used. I got mine for 39k but I got it in 2010 as an 07. The car barely had 30k miles on it and in the end the payment was even lower than my GS 350 payment. The birth of my little girl was the perfect opportunity to step up to the LS. I have been happier with this LS that I have been with any car I have ever owned (although the prelude I had in college was bulletproof)
That was a smok'en deal in 2010.

Mine is an 07 with less the 25k on it for just under 39k. I was going to buy a 07 with 45k on it for 38k but is sold before I could see it.
Old 06-14-11 | 01:56 PM
WBuffettjr
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The car barely had 30k miles on it and in the end the payment was even lower than my GS 350 payment. T)
Ignoring all else, when you sit inside the LS would you say the interior is noticeably nicer than your GS (ignoring ride quality for example...just sitting still)? Is it more supple leather and more wood trim, or how is it different?

I'd also be curious to know if you find the LS to be noticeably bigger compared to driving your GS around. The LS seems like a large car. I live downtown and wonder if the LS is big enough to be a hassle, but I don't really want to step down to the ES. Wondering if GS might be the way to go (but I prefer comfort over sport).
Old 06-14-11 | 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by WBuffettjr
Ignoring all else, when you sit inside the LS would you say the interior is noticeably nicer than your GS (ignoring ride quality for example...just sitting still)? Is it more supple leather and more wood trim, or how is it different?

I'd also be curious to know if you find the LS to be noticeably bigger compared to driving your GS around. The LS seems like a large car. I live downtown and wonder if the LS is big enough to be a hassle, but I don't really want to step down to the ES. Wondering if GS might be the way to go (but I prefer comfort over sport).
the interior is noticeably better than the gs, by a pretty big margin i have to say. fit and finish is better, materials are better, more details on all the trims. there are a bit more wood in the ls460, the leather i would say about the same, of course if you get semi-aniline leather in the ls460 it's far softer.

the ls460 from driver position is definitely wider and you sit higher. driving wise, i don't think the ls460 swb seems that much longer to drive. the lwb though you can definitely feel the length. but i won't say driving is a problem at all between my ls460l and gs350.

if you prefer comfort over sport, then gs isn't really a good choice for you.
Old 06-14-11 | 03:35 PM
Nospinzone

I appreciate the input and advice, but honestly you guys come off as just being mad that your cars have depreciated so much and someone can pick one up for $30k.
I think you are not understanding what they are saying. Its not the amount of depreciation that they incur (they all know how much a new car depreciates), rather they are warning you to be careful about the disparity in depreciation between identical models.

As an aside, if you look at the depreciation rates of comparable vehicles, e.g. Audi, BMW, MB, you will find that they are even greater than Lexus.
Old 06-14-11 | 03:41 PM
marky2mark
Driver

I don't think Florida gets much in the way of winters.

I didn't say anything about CPO. I have to say I'm a little skeptical about the claims that "you get what you pay for" being justification for paying $50,000 for a vehicle with numerous listings in the low $30s. I'm getting an LS460 either way, am I not? Am I getting a lemon? If it has 40,000 miles, I could pay $100 for an inspection, then own one of the most reliable cars made that has passed a detailed inspection and is still under factory warranty.

Funky colors? I can see the pictures in the listings -- they look like standard colors to me. I appreciate the input and advice, but honestly you guys come off as just being mad that your cars have depreciated so much and someone can pick one up for $30k.
LOL....not mad at all, just relaying our experiences as recent 460 buyers. Nobody said you should pay 50k, all we said was you wouldn't get a CPO, low mileage, perfect condition '08 460 for 30k. If you are willing to settle for less, you can pay less.

If you buy non-CPO you will get the remainder of the factory warranty, which on a 07 or 08 would be very little. With CPO you automatically get 4 yrs/100k mi from time of purchase and you can buy extra years and/or miles. On a car like this where even minor repairs can be big $$, I don't see why you wouldn't go CPO.
Old 06-14-11 | 05:04 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

If you currently own a Lexus or know someone that does, you can look up details of service history under Lexus owners resource. All you need is the VIN of the LS you are interested. The service history will tell you a lot about the vehicle, whether its been serviced at Lexus dealership or the owner took the time to log all the services.

There are many off lease, abused, LS's out there. Some people lease and never really maintain their vehicles.
Old 06-14-11 | 06:59 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

The price of a good used CPO LS460 from 07 to 08 in the So Cal market is still holding about 39k from what I am seeing. i paid 39k even in Dec of 09 for an 07 and they are almost exactly in the same range, they did come down during the summer by about 2-3k but I have never seen a good used one for 30k, maybe its the market your in?

That said for even close to 40k its a steal compared to any other premium luxury sedan IMO.. I like mine more now after a year than I did when I bought it, I would not consider one brand new, its 40k nice, but not 70k nice.

3 years from date of pre-owned sale or 100,000 total vehicle miles is what the CPO covers

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search..._type=priceASC
Old 06-14-11 | 07:04 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I had my GS for 6 months and HATED it.. there is nothing about the LS that isnt nicer in every way, which is why I stepped up. I respect and appreciate my LS.. the GS was just a nice car, that was over rated IMO. I like the IS, own an SC and the LS but the GS should be in the Toyota Avalon category.
Old 06-14-11 | 07:17 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by cmasten
3 years from date of pre-owned sale or 100,000 total vehicle miles is what the CPO covers
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure mine was 4 yrs and I bought an extra 2 for a total of 6 yrs/100k.
Old 06-14-11 | 07:23 PM
marky2mark
Driver

You're right, I checked the paperwork.....its 3 yrs/100k total miles, I bought an extra 3 yrs to make it 6/100k.
Old 06-14-11 | 07:27 PM
WBuffettjr
Rookie

Originally Posted by marky2mark
LOL....not mad at all, just relaying our experiences as recent 460 buyers. Nobody said you should pay 50k, all we said was you wouldn't get a CPO, low mileage, perfect condition '08 460 for 30k. If you are willing to settle for less, you can pay less.

If you buy non-CPO you will get the remainder of the factory warranty, which on a 07 or 08 would be very little. With CPO you automatically get 4 yrs/100k mi from time of purchase and you can buy extra years and/or miles. On a car like this where even minor repairs can be big $$, I don't see why you wouldn't go CPO.
Yeah, thank you for your help, Marky. I was out of line with my reaction. Apologies.
Old 06-14-11 | 07:30 PM
marky2mark
Driver

no worries

good luck with your search
Old 06-14-11 | 07:34 PM
marky2mark
Driver

By the way, if you get a LS460 you will be driving a nicer car than your old man Warren Buffett Sr. I read in Forbes he drives a 2001 Lincoln Town Car.
Old 06-14-11 | 07:41 PM
WBuffettjr
Rookie

Heh, yeah and the license plate said "thrifty". True story. That's not the case anymore though; he bought a new Cadillac a few years back to show his support and confidence in GM (but you don't see him buying the stock! Hah!).

And the 460 is still nicer than the Caddy
Old 06-14-11 | 09:16 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

One of the reasons is also supply, the car debuted right before the crash and sold like crazy its first year not just here but worldwide. I think they sold over 25,000 LSs for the 2006 model year, a crazy number for such an expensive car.

To put that in perspective that is on par with the GS in 2007 and more than any other Japanese mid-size luxury car. Yet the LS costs way more.

So there are tons of them on the market.

Quick Reply: Why are used LS460s so cheap?