LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why are used LS460s so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11 | 04:57 AM
WBuffettjr
Rookie

That's good information Mike, thanks. I didn't know that. I'm glad Lexus was doing well with it.
Old 06-15-11 | 01:00 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WBuffettjr

Central Texas prices are probably similar to the ones you found in CA. I'm willing to go to Florida and make it a road trip (or ship from Florida)
JMLexus & Palm Beach Lexus, both in south Florida, usually have a good inventory of lower mileage LS460's. Lots of retirees live in area and lease for 3 years. If you check their websites periodically, you may find a car which has features which you are looking for.
Old 06-15-11 | 01:37 PM
WBuffettjr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
JMLexus & Palm Beach Lexus, both in south Florida, usually have a good inventory of lower mileage LS460's. Lots of retirees live in area and lease for 3 years. If you check their websites periodically, you may find a car which has features which you are looking for.
Thats great advice, SP. Thanks. I didn't even think about it, but these dealerships may have cars available that they don't put on Autotrader. I've never been to Florida before...perhaps I'll make a one week vacation out of it. That will give me plenty of time to settle on a car and use the rest for relaxation, then make it a road trip back. The price difference will probably pay for the trip from what it looks like.
Old 06-15-11 | 01:46 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Here's an off lease place in FL, seems to have good prices but not 30k for an '08!

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...ressStyle=null

WOW! All three have accident damage! Keep an eye on that site though, fast inventory change and not all are wrecks.

Last edited by Carver; 06-15-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-15-11 | 06:26 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

this thread made me look for ls religiously today,,,really good deals out there,,,it was sad to figure out my 07 gs was worthy nothin,,,
Old 06-15-11 | 09:08 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

That's good information Mike, thanks. I didn't know that. I'm glad Lexus was doing well with it.
No problem

Fun fact, Dec 2006-3,865 LS 460/600s were sold. That is UNHEARD of for this class of car.

05- 26,043
06-19,546 (started to sell in the fall so its mixed with the 430)
07-35,226
08-20,255
09-11,334
10-12,275
Old 06-15-11 | 09:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Little things can set the price lower at the auctions, painted panels, bumpers, poor carfax Manhattan, Bornx, city driving etc. the pros set the prices at the auctions that areas follow. Buy from a private guy with service history and have it inspected often for the best prices. The 6-70 powertrain warrantee is pretty handy to buy into.
Old 06-16-11 | 05:45 AM
WBuffettjr
Rookie

Originally Posted by LIMS407
this thread made me look for ls religiously today,,,really good deals out there,,,it was sad to figure out my 07 gs was worthy nothin,,,
Yeah, I think I'm finished buying brand new cars. 50% over three years isn't fun when it is a base model Civic. Now make it a Mercedes CLS55AMG or a Lexus LS460 and find it is the same 50%. Ouch.

The Mercedes I can understand because reliability is so terrible and you're looking at outsized costs buying a used one versus new, but with nearly any model of Lexus, it seems that isn't really the case. 40% after two years, 50% after three, and you'd still be able to grab one under warranty (and extend warranty if you'd like). Heck of a deal. Plus the car will be worth much closer to what you paid for it when you go to trade it in. That's a nice-sized deposit on the next car; maybe I'll just work my way up the used car ladder...a Porsche Panamera next and then a Ferrari Moderno Spider*...haha.

*Except Ferraris don't seem to depreciate as fast and I'd hate to have to pay for the "Hyundai Service"!
Old 06-16-11 | 12:29 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Thats great advice, SP. Thanks. I didn't even think about it, but these dealerships may have cars available that they don't put on Autotrader. I've never been to Florida before...perhaps I'll make a one week vacation out of it. That will give me plenty of time to settle on a car and use the rest for relaxation, then make it a road trip back. The price difference will probably pay for the trip from what it looks like.
But they hold out for big bucks. Lots of good cars, but very little good VALUE.
Old 06-16-11 | 12:30 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marky2mark
By the way, if you get a LS460 you will be driving a nicer car than your old man Warren Buffett Sr. I read in Forbes he drives a 2001 Lincoln Town Car.
Maybe WB is smarter than us, not whizzing away his $$ on rapidly depreciating metal! (BTW, WB drives a 2007 or 8 Cadillac. The '01 Town Car was auctioned a few years ago when he got the new car).
Old 06-16-11 | 04:34 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I picked up two Lexus vehicles a 2 year old LS460 and a 2 year old SC430, that are almost indistinguishable from new, together for about the price of a new LS460 alone.

Both have been perfect to drive in the past year. I did my homework on the maintenance records and what the market was getting for them.

I will take this same approach going forward as I have always paid for brand new vehicles and drove lesser models.

An LS460 in good shape with modest miles for under 40k is a total value when you compare it to what else is out there in the mid level lux segment. In the premium lux segment, its a steal IMO.
Old 06-16-11 | 05:52 PM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by 94LSon20
I have a 2007 LS460, it had higher road noise compared to my 2001 LS430, until I went back to Michelin's. IMO I feel like the 01-03 are the last of the well built LS's (sorry, never drove an 04-06), the 460 feels cheaper, not like a Lexus and more like a 7 series.

As for the pricing, I agree with you, the 460's are cheap. Bought mine off a dealer's wife with 15,000 miles last year for 3X,000 (in the lower 30's) Its the dark money green color with the gunmetal 18's.

If I didn't already own the 2001 LS, I would have bought a lower mileage 04-06 instead of the 460. It's the last year they made it look like the original LS back in 89 (if you're a Lexus addict like myself you'll notice what I'm referring too...tail lights, body lines, etc..)
I could not agree more. The last great Lexus I leased was the LS430 (in my case an '04). When the lease of my '07 LS ended I left the brand due to several disappointments including wind noise, recalls, service, etc.

I am not sure this type of experience reflects in the pricing of used cars, but it may help explain some supply/demand issues for these models.
Old 06-17-11 | 07:41 AM
rolloman
Rookie

Default Looking For an 09 LS SWB

Originally Posted by cmasten
I picked up two Lexus vehicles a 2 year old LS460 and a 2 year old SC430, that are almost indistinguishable from new, together for about the price of a new LS460 alone.

Both have been perfect to drive in the past year. I did my homework on the maintenance records and what the market was getting for them.

I will take this same approach going forward as I have always paid for brand new vehicles and drove lesser models.

An LS460 in good shape with modest miles for under 40k is a total value when you compare it to what else is out there in the mid level lux segment. In the premium lux segment, its a steal IMO.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase these cars CMASTEN? I'm in market for 09 LS SWB with Levinson, navi, Black ext/Cashmere int.

Here in Houston, local dealers say the used market is just a few thousand less than a new purchase.

Their theory is that new car production has slowed considerably due to the earthquake and that is driving up used sales. I say that's typical sales psychobabble.

Is JM in Fla. a good honest buying experience? Big thanks!
Old 06-17-11 | 07:58 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rolloman
If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase these cars CMASTEN? I'm in market for 09 LS SWB with Levinson, navi, Black ext/Cashmere int.

Here in Houston, local dealers say the used market is just a few thousand less than a new purchase.

Their theory is that new car production has slowed considerably due to the earthquake and that is driving up used sales. I say that's typical sales psychobabble.

I started my searches on www.autotrader.com and also the CPO sections of my local dealers. I am not sure what the market is like in Houston, but in So Cal you can get a beautiful LS 07/08 for under 40k. If the supply is down in Houston you may need to search further out, I would think that Dallas would be a perfect area and certain times of the year folks are turning in their leased vehicles for new ones (Jan for example) These leases are then reviewed and may be considered for CPO resale. There are also dealers here in So Cal that sell a large number of LS with their own inspections and warranties, you may have dealers like this also in Texas, for example http://nashauto.com/ , take a look at their LS inventory. Might be good to find a CPO or one with low miles and lots of orig warranty left and drive it back to Houston.
Old 06-17-11 | 05:14 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rolloman

You are being given the full smoke & mirror treatment. I live in the Houston area and in the last few months have been dealing with the dealers located along freeway to Dallas and to San Antonio, the value they offering for my fully loaded 07 L with approximately 26,000 miles is beyond pathetic. LOL at the same time they are singing a different song to reach in your pockets.

Like Maurice has stated above, I have also moved on from this brand because of frustrations, poor service, etc. Mama Lexus ain't making products as they used.

Quick Reply: Why are used LS460s so cheap?