LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why are used LS460s so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11 | 05:50 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
Like Maurice has stated above, I have also moved on from this brand because of frustrations, poor service, etc. Mama Lexus ain't making products as they used.
I disagree, as both my '07 and now my '09 LS460s have been nearly flawless and a MUCH better ride than my old 2004 LS430. That being said, I am wondering what BETTER products you have moved on TO?
Old 06-17-11 | 06:38 PM
rolloman
Rookie

You are being given the full smoke & mirror treatment. I live in the Houston area and in the last few months have been dealing with the dealers located along freeway to Dallas and to San Antonio, the value they offering for my fully loaded 07 L with approximately 26,000 miles is beyond pathetic. LOL at the same time they are singing a different song to reach in your pockets.

Like Maurice has stated above, I have also moved on from this brand because of frustrations, poor service, etc. Mama Lexus ain't making products as they used.
I'm with you CEO. The Houston Lexus dealers are condescending and arrogant. I'm not ready to jump ship from Lexus yet. I'll just go to a high volume dealer in FL or CA. What nameplate did you jump to?
Old 06-17-11 | 11:02 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Originally Posted by daryll40
I disagree, as both my '07 and now my '09 LS460s have been nearly flawless and a MUCH better ride than my old 2004 LS430. That being said, I am wondering what BETTER products you have moved on TO?
I also disagree that the 460 is a downgrade over the previous model. I have an 07 swb with 40k miles and it has been absolutely flawless. I have a business partner that had the 430 and I had to drive the car on several occasions, and in my opinion the car was a piece of junk compared to the 460.

His 430 was MUCH noisier than my 460 and the styling was pathetically dated by comparison. But, the styling is subjective.

You have to be careful seeking opinions on these boards because you invite those who have an axe to grind and can't pass up an opportunity to *****. I can tell you for certain that at least one poster on this thread has been *****ing about their experience with the 460 for YEARS now, even though this person has supposedly moved on to a BMW.

The fact that this person continues to surf this website closely enough to never miss an opportunity to take another jab, should cause one to take whatever he posts with a grain of salt.
Old 06-18-11 | 07:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

You can always find someone, somewhere, that will tell you what you want to hear. Will Rodgers once said, "Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see."
Old 06-18-11 | 07:46 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rolloman
The Houston Lexus dealers are condescending and arrogant.
All luxury car dealers are this way more or less. They HAVE to be in order to maintain the aura of "something better to sell". In the real world, however, prices are set by the market. If one is foolish enough to go blind into a Lexus or any other car dealer, they're gonna get sold a fairy tale. Car buying is MUCH easier today with free and plentiful information. When we bot our (first ever used) wife's RX330, they were asking some crazy pie in the sky number with all the usual "finest car out there blah blah blah" talk. I did the homework, made them a reasonable offer then walked. Sure enough a few hours later they took the offer.

Know the market and ignore the attitude.
Old 06-18-11 | 08:46 AM
rolloman
Rookie

All luxury car dealers are this way more or less. They HAVE to be in order to maintain the aura of "something better to sell". In the real world, however, prices are set by the market. If one is foolish enough to go blind into a Lexus or any other car dealer, they're gonna get sold a fairy tale. Car buying is MUCH easier today with free and plentiful information. When we bot our (first ever used) wife's RX330, they were asking some crazy pie in the sky number with all the usual "finest car out there blah blah blah" talk. I did the homework, made them a reasonable offer then walked. Sure enough a few hours later they took the offer.

Know the market and ignore the attitude.
+1 Daryl. My experience was very similar to yours when we purchased my wife's Infiniti. I'm a big homework guy. Saved about $6000.

Quick trigger consumers that impulse buy have created these pompous salesmen. So many buffoons pay MSRP. Beyond my comprehension.
Old 06-18-11 | 09:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

A fool and his money...
Old 06-21-11 | 08:45 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

I still have the LS besides the other Lexus cars, just reassigned to a lower standing in my garage. I got me a Panamera S, hopefully it as reliable as I read in the magazines. LOL it can't be any worse then my personal experience with the LS, from the various recalls, issues with brakes, vibrations (still unresolved), air shocks, front tie-rod ends, seats, AC, ML amp, etc. Augment all these with every visit to the dealer the car came back with some damage to either the paint, the wood on the stearing wheel, and on and on. Since I am considered an **** perfectionist, these visits were taking a toll on my golf game.
Old 06-21-11 | 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

I still have the LS besides the other Lexus cars, just reassigned to a lower standing in my garage. I got me a Panamera S, hopefully it as reliable as I read in the magazines. LOL it can't be any worse then my personal experience with the LS, from the various recalls, issues with brakes, vibrations (still unresolved), air shocks, front tie-rod ends, seats, AC, ML amp, etc. Augment all these with every visit to the dealer the car came back with some damage to either the paint, the wood on the stearing wheel, and on and on. Since I am considered an **** perfectionist, these visits were taking a toll on my golf game.
wow, the panamera s, that's awesome ride there, ceo!
Old 06-21-11 | 07:28 PM
colt45ss
Driver School Candidate

do you think 46K for a 2008 ls with nav and levinson with 13k miles and a clean service history and car fax is too much to pay?
Old 06-21-11 | 09:12 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by colt45ss
do you think 46K for a 2008 ls with nav and levinson with 13k miles and a clean service history and car fax is too much to pay?
In my area, that's the listed price for a CPO. I think you can negotiate down to $42K since it has low mileage.
Old 06-21-11 | 09:53 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

I would say 4k too high if its CPO
Old 06-22-11 | 06:41 AM
colt45ss
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Wish i could find a deal like that i checked some so cal dealers found nothing that year with miles that low
saw prices in that range but miles were 40-60k
have any links?
thanks to all that responded
Old 06-22-11 | 06:56 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Wow! Wish i could find a deal like that i checked some so cal dealers found nothing that year with miles that low
saw prices in that range but miles were 40-60k
have any links?
thanks to all that responded
Nash is not a Lexus dealer, but they sell a lot of low mile LS 460s here in So Cal.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

This one didnt have the ML, but they had two last week with around 25k miles and ML one was 39k and the other was 41K with the comfort package and ML. You can find them, just need to keep querrying the dealers like these that move a lot of them
Old 06-22-11 | 04:56 PM
socallex
Driver School Candidate

IMO it doesn't matter where you buy it, private party, Lexus dealer or even off a Chevy used car lot (as I did). You generally can't hide abuse and I would recommend it still be under the bumper to bumper warranty for at least 5-10k miles. I was in the car business for many years and while some are trade in's most all these cars come through the auction as lease returns. For most people, buying a car is a very emotional transaction. Look at the lowest priced 3 or four cars listed to get the bottom of the market pricing. The tricky part is to be patient, be willing to travel to see the right car, run CarFax, try and get online to see service history, know what options are "must have's".

For the record searched all of Calif for 3 months and found an 08 with ML, Lexuslink option that that I never use, and the reclining AC/heated rear seats for 38.9k with 39k miles.
I found it on Cars.com. I always skip to the last pages where the prices are more in line with where i thought they should be.
One final thought is to remember...."a good deal is a state of mind" and once you buy something stop looking! Kind of like marriage.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Why are used LS460s so cheap?