LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav Update - Do Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 01:25 PM
parscale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Update - Do Yourself?

Hello,

Anyone know if you buy the USB 10.1 Nav update can it be done yourself? They want over 300 bucks for the service at Lexus, however I see only places to buy the USB drive for 50% that price.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 07-10-11, 02:13 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no it requires that the dealer perform this update. Depending on what version you have the 10.1 update may or may not be worth the effort. I went from 6.1 to 10.1 and would say it was worth it, as I live in Los Angeles and there were lots of changes , but wont ever do it again.
Old 07-10-11, 02:25 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a little off topic and dumb but how do you check what version do you have? Do you have to access the service menus? My car is an 08 if that makes any difference....
Old 07-10-11, 03:05 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

brad, there's no way in hell you'll be able to do it on your own -- the usb key you buy doesn't contain any mapping data (it's only 256mb, so it's even worthless as a usb key). it only contains a license file that allows the mapping special service tool to unlock itself and push data to your car. the actual data comes on a series of DVDs that lexus sends only to dealerships once a year (which then gets loaded onto the special service tool). if your dealer hasn't done it before, tell them to expect a 35+ page TIS printout and a couple of hours of time (they should also follow the instructions to hook the car up to a battery tender -- ask me how i know -___-)
Old 07-10-11, 04:14 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow........ i never thought of updating to a newer version is like having a root canal. What happen to the day that we just switch out the DVD in the trunk?
Old 07-10-11, 04:16 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
This is a little off topic and dumb but how do you check what version do you have? Do you have to access the service menus? My car is an 08 if that makes any difference....
go into the settings menu an look up the version software... mine is an 07.. i did the software update in may $265 otd.. has a ton of new info & poi's as well as getting rid of the annoying "i agree" button..
Old 07-10-11, 04:52 PM
parscale
Driver School Candidate

Oh... Wow... I am glad that I didn't buy it then. I live in San Antonio and there has been considerable changes here over the last few years. I really do not need the nav, as I know where to get around, but I do like the traffic from XM as San Antonio traffic is horrible. I think XM needs the update as I have whole new sections of highway missing on mine.

I also have the "I Agree" each time. Would like that to go away also.

Brad
Old 07-10-11, 05:50 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by parscale
Oh... Wow... I am glad that I didn't buy it then. I live in San Antonio and there has been considerable changes here over the last few years. I really do not need the nav, as I know where to get around, but I do like the traffic from XM as San Antonio traffic is horrible. I think XM needs the update as I have whole new sections of highway missing on mine.

I also have the "I Agree" each time. Would like that to go away also.

Brad
yes the upgrade will bring u up to the most current version.. an get rid of the "i agree"
a disclaimer screen pops up upon start up then goes away.. no more i agree in ur future.....
Old 07-10-11, 06:59 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just checked my car it says DENSO V 07.06.10

I dont have the I agree button when I start the car in this version.
Old 07-11-11, 02:42 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

So does anyone know when is the next version update..................i think the 10.1 have been out for about a year now.
Old 07-11-11, 06:26 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i believe they have an annual update in October each year
Old 07-11-11, 07:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Anyone think the price of the NAV update will come down anytime soon?

The dealerships have a lot of competition these days from smart phones and even from portable systems that come with lifetime updates. I just updated my old Garmin Nuvi for $50.
Old 07-11-11, 12:35 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmasten
i believe they have an annual update in October each year
Thanks for the info cmasten.
Old 07-11-11, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Anyone think the price of the NAV update will come down anytime soon?

The dealerships have a lot of competition these days from smart phones and even from portable systems that come with lifetime updates. I just updated my old Garmin Nuvi for $50.
i don't think the price has changed much over the yrs
Old 07-12-11, 05:23 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, the nav update maps seem to lag a few years. I'm in a new neighborhood and it took a few years to get my street on the map - and as they build out new sections - those streets don't seem to show up - for a few years.

As for the XM problems - they had similar problems in Houston when I first got my LS (I have one of the early 460s). The real-time traffic had many gaps - making it almost unusable. I tried calling XM and NavTeq (who provides the mapping) and didn't make any progress. Then I called Lexus - asked for their contact at XM Navtraffic. I had to e-mail them photos of the screen from my LS - to show them the problem - and within a few weeks - they had it fixed.

Quick Reply: Nav Update - Do Yourself?