LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Seat cooling technology?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 07:51 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I find that they work for me, but they really get cool when you press the button circled in the pic. Some how forces cooler air thru the seat, if the seat is already cool you can feel the temp drop and if you have shorts on you can feel the air coming thru.
Attached Thumbnails Seat cooling technology?-ls460-climate-controls-1.jpg  
Old 07-22-11, 11:40 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tee
I find that they work for me, but they really get cool when you press the button circled in the pic. Some how forces cooler air thru the seat, if the seat is already cool you can feel the temp drop and if you have shorts on you can feel the air coming thru.
I believe that is the Micro Dust and Pollen Filter switch. Per the manual - "Outside air mode switches to (recirculated air)mode. Pollen is removed from the air and the air flows to the upper part of the body. Usually the system will turn offautomatically after approximately 1to 3 minutes. To stop the operation, press again."

Don't see how that would affect the air flow or temperature going through the seats. Maybe the flow is tied somehow to the recirculation mode but I don't see the temperature having anything to do with it. I will try it later today on my way home from work.
Old 07-22-11, 11:45 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It doesn't. The seats have a fan that will force cooled air already being produced by the air conditioner to the seat. It just takes a while to feel it because of the way the seat is designed, but as the car moves and the air-conditioning heat exchange becomes more effective, the seat will cool down fine.
Old 07-22-11, 12:10 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stanatl
I believe that is the Micro Dust and Pollen Filter switch. Per the manual - "Outside air mode switches to (recirculated air)mode. Pollen is removed from the air and the air flows to the upper part of the body. Usually the system will turn offautomatically after approximately 1to 3 minutes. To stop the operation, press again."

Don't see how that would affect the air flow or temperature going through the seats. Maybe the flow is tied somehow to the recirculation mode but I don't see the temperature having anything to do with it. I will try it later today on my way home from work.
When you press the 'Pollen removal mode' button (cool seats on) "the air flows to the upper part of the body" I beleive the fans in the seat brings up the cooler air thru them thus helping the seats cool better. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-22-11, 02:44 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Believemit or not I have never noticed this button .... LOL I just went to my car and said WTH? How come I didnt know if this!?!?! Hahahaha gosh I love when stuff like that happens to me
Old 07-25-11, 08:18 AM
palacekpr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So - can anyone clarify that the 2011 LS460 does NOT have its own compressor, as was previously suggested? It sure does not perform like it does, and if it does have a compressor I need to take it to the dealer to have it checked! thx.
Old 07-25-11, 08:19 AM
palacekpr
6th Gear

and by compressor, I am speaking of a compressor for the seats specifically, not the main A/C. thx.
Old 07-25-11, 12:54 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIT, from what I have read in past posts and on other forums:

The seats use a solid state type of cooling (heat sink - like in some drinks coolers, etc.) rather than an air conditioner type compressor.

When on, removed heat is directed out the lower back of the seat so back passengers may feel heat on their feet and items placed on floor may get heated (i.e., not a good place to put your ice cream on the way back from the market)

Some members believe the effect works best if the climate setting is set to direct air to the lower portion of the car (rather than on, for example, defrost).

It may not work as well unless the car's AC is also turned on.
Old 07-26-11, 12:50 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by telmz1
I swear this feature diminishes with the higher models of lexus. On my IS 250 it works great, GS 300 weak, LS460L can't even tell that it on.
Don't have GS though, but in IS250 it definetily sucks air better, and you even get cold when on "3". On LS600h it is just rubish.

Idea, why people say, that it works better if they turn that "particle filter" function on, is that most don't like direct wind, so they choose windshield and legs mode, and when you choose particle filter it start blowing to face.

So, the main thing is that seat ventilation fans, SUCK air, so if temperature in car is high, they are just too weak to make movement of air to cool. When you make wind blowing to face, it has some direct a/c air, and they move it through and it cool down your seat.

Don't know why, lexus has made such rubbish on LS, but on ISx50, RX'11 they work 10 times better...On, LS, you forget, they where even on...
Old 07-26-11, 06:32 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no compressor on the LS460.. its a very simple design using a Peltier cooler. You run current in one direction and its gets cool, you run current in the other direction (more or less...) and it gets hot. Pretty simple stuff. It is a modest effect at best. The units are self contained under the seat with 2 small blowers, one on the bottom and one in the lower back area.

In our case its used for cooling, and they use coils for heating, which is why they heat much better than they cool :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Last edited by cmasten; 07-26-11 at 06:37 AM.