LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Smart key and regular key would not turn ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 08:56 PM
MYO4LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart key and regular key would not turn ignition

A few weeks ago, I had gone out to my car and I could get into the car but the car ignition would not turn on. I assumed what I read in a few places tonight that it was the battery in the key-no big deal, I have the other smart key and valet key in the house-I went and got both, tried the ignition again and it turned on no problem. I figured the next time I bring in the car I would have Lexus do whatever with the key.

I get in the car tonight as normal with my smart key buried in my purse somewhere-start up and drive 2 hours out to the place I was going. I get out of my car, go get into the same car I was just driving and the ignition will not turn. OK-now I assume both smart keys are dead-so I take the key put it in and it will not move. The smart key light are flashing between red AND green and the key in my hand is flashing red also. YIKES-I get out of the car, hit the lock button, walk away from the car, tell the lady at the counter why my car is still there, OK I figure let me try it one more time before I call to be towed out of the way.
Walah-it starts up, no issue.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???????
I am very worried this will happen again and I will not have the same results.

I do not know if this could have anything to do with it, maybe a week or two before the first incident, I had my electrical something replaced.

I hope this is where and how I am supposed to ask.
Obviously I will be calling my dealer in the morning, but of course they are going to say bring it in, which I would if I was not two hours away on business with a full line up of meetings, and to make matters more concerning, two days from now, I have to drive into Philly where I know the hotel only has valet parking. I am so worried what will happen if this happens in a parking garage.

Any info will be so appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-22-11, 08:50 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm understanding your correctly:

The book says if you have trouble starting LS and smart key battery is suspect just hold the fob up against the Start button. This happened to me once and it did work.

Whit
Old 08-22-11, 11:31 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MYO4LEXUS
A few weeks ago, I had gone out to my car and I could get into the car but the car ignition would not turn on. I assumed what I read in a few places tonight that it was the battery in the key-no big deal, I have the other smart key and valet key in the house-I went and got both, tried the ignition again and it turned on no problem. I figured the next time I bring in the car I would have Lexus do whatever with the key.

I get in the car tonight as normal with my smart key buried in my purse somewhere-start up and drive 2 hours out to the place I was going. I get out of my car, go get into the same car I was just driving and the ignition will not turn. OK-now I assume both smart keys are dead-so I take the key put it in and it will not move. The smart key light are flashing between red AND green and the key in my hand is flashing red also. YIKES-I get out of the car, hit the lock button, walk away from the car, tell the lady at the counter why my car is still there, OK I figure let me try it one more time before I call to be towed out of the way.

I am very worried this will happen again and I will not have the same results.

I do not know if this could have anything to do with it, maybe a week or two before the first incident, I had my electrical something replaced.

I hope this is where and how I am supposed to ask.
Obviously I will be calling my dealer in the morning, but of course they are going to say bring it in, which I would if I was not two hours away on business with a full line up of meetings, and to make matters more concerning, two days from now, I have to drive into Philly where I know the hotel only has valet parking. I am so worried what will happen if this happens in a parking garage.

Any info will be so appreciated.
thanks
Isn't this a 2004 LS430 you are referring to?
Old 08-23-11, 08:45 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii60
Isn't this a 2004 LS430 you are referring to?
yeah, i haven't seen an ls460/600 with an ignition that turns :P
Old 08-23-11, 01:38 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Try the LS430 forum. You might get a better response there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430-158/
Old 08-23-11, 01:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by MYO4LEXUS

It's your French, did you mean "voilà"?
Old 08-25-11, 08:16 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
It's your French, did you mean "voilà"?
LOL!

Fugheddaboudit...

Dat's the way they say "voilà" in Joisey...

Whit