LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 03:48 PM
kmaahs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Extended Warranties

Has anyone heard of "Direct Buy" or "Drive Trust" extended warranties. Both have very good and reasonable offers for bumper to bumper, any repair facility, etc.; the pricing is definitely better than the Lexus Platinum which I have investigated. Appreciate any comments!
Old 08-27-11, 12:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 420 Likes on 324 Posts

I've heard of Direct Buy. I believe I read something about them in Consumer Reports a couple years ago and the review was negative. Usually when I read about experiences with these third party sellers, the experience is a bad one.

I would stay away from any third party seller. You can get a good deal on a genuine Lexus warranty from several dealers mentioned in this forum. I bought mine from Toby Rivers at Shreveport Lexus.
Old 08-28-11, 12:31 PM
lai
Driver School Candidate

Smile Extended Vehicle Service Agreement

I am in agreement with Nospinzone.
I got Platinum VSA issued by Lexus Financial Service for LS460L Exec.08 last week from MIDWEST TOYOTA. Jerry Johnson (620 664-8844) is extremely helpful, he is honest and up front, return your call in timely fashion and answer all of my questions in detail. His Pricing Schedule is very competitive.
Old 08-28-11, 01:49 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i can only get extended warranty when factory warranty is still valid?
Old 08-29-11, 05:22 AM
kmaahs
Rookie

When taking a Lex Platinum warranty, does one have to do all the check-ups prescribed by Lexus? Oil changes, etc. (I do my own)??? If one doesn't go through all those prescribed processes, does it invalidate the Platinum??
Old 08-29-11, 08:54 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kmaahs
When taking a Lex Platinum warranty, does one have to do all the check-ups prescribed by Lexus? Oil changes, etc. (I do my own)??? If one doesn't go through all those prescribed processes, does it invalidate the Platinum??
If you make a reasonable effort to follow the recommended maintenance schedule while doing the work yourself, you should not experience any warranty problems as long as you maintain good records to include receipts, invoices, etc.
Old 08-29-11, 11:54 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Warranties

Nospinzone summarized it up best.

While there are a few good aftermarket third-party warranty companies, why take the chance when you can have the Peace Of Mind that a real Lexus Warranty offers you ?

A few out, an AC system going out or like will cost a BUNCH ($$$) to repair properly, and its good to know that IF that occurs, you'll be receiving Quality, First Class repair with ZERO out-of-pocket costs (in most cases).

And the two companies mentioned originally may not check out with a good reputation if you look further.

The way Miss Barbie and I look at it is our LS460 "Baby" deserves Better ! Lol !

Best Wishes to all,

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 08-29-11, 02:59 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah Kamaahs, my recommendation regarding record maintenance applies to the Lexus warranty only. I have not heard anything good about third party warrantys.
Old 08-31-11, 05:49 AM
drogersthx
Driver School Candidate

I had a 3rd party warranty years ago on an LS400. The shop I worked with specializes in Lexus only and sold me the warranty originally.

One time I took the car in for service and among other things it needed a power door lock actuator and new motor mounts. I certainly expected both of these to be covered. In the end neither one was covered.

The insurance company had written the contract vague enough that since the door lock actuator was not specifically mentioned it was excluded.

As for the motor mounts, this was a known issue. However, the insurance company claimed that the contract stated that an independent inspector had to look at the car before the original mounts were removed to approve the replacement. They admitted that the mounts needed to be replaced but they did not pay since their fine print rules were not followed precisely.

The repair shop ended up not charging me for the mounts, but I felt badly for them. I ended up paying several hundred dollars for the new power door lock actuator so I would not have to manually lock the passenger side door all the time.

Definitely would not use a 3rd party warranty company - it is not worth the brain damage to try to figure out the details of their loopholes in advance.