LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer denied my warranty because of LED "Nike" bulb installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 01:29 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dealer denied my warranty because of LED "Nike" bulb installed

I installed that 9 LED bulbs on the LS460 headlight (in that "Nike" section part of headlight). Anyways, the damn passenger side headlight adjustment **** is defective (from manufacturer). It doesn't move the headlight no-matter how you turn it. Anyways, I brought the car in and they tried to adjust it. Of course it didn't move...well they told me (over the phone) that that will not be covered/fixed under warranty because I installed the aftermarket bulb...Mind you, that Nike section has nothing to do with the low-beam or high beam part at all. Even if you bursted (which I didn't of course) that part out, it wouldn't have mattered if given the other part is working properly from start...even an idiot would known that.

Well the fact is still the fact..

Sterling McCall Lexus denied warranty work on it a few mins ago. I'm furious now. I'm trying to keep the cool head while thinking of a more reasonable solution. One being print this out and bring it in while "discussion" the issue with them

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

What else should I do? Thanks for your inputs.

BTW, the hesitation while trying to accelerate issue was "not duplicable" and nothing was done again (after the 3rd time). This dealership is totally full of BS!
Old 09-07-11, 01:48 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your on going issues....you need to find another dealer that respect you as a customer. Quit dealing with them and find a new dealer. Explain to them nicely the problems that you are having. On the bulb issue...put back your original bulbs and bring to a new dealer. Keep us updated....good luck
Old 09-07-11, 01:52 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way...call the 1800 lexus customer service hot line and they will open up a case to resolve your problems. I forgot the number but just call lexus dealer to ask for it. I did it back than with my GS430 for the noise on the dash board and they made sure i was taken care of.
Old 09-07-11, 03:10 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch I knew the dealer would try that. I had a thread about them doing that with 22" wheels since they wont do an alignment on anything bigger than a 20" wheel.
Old 09-07-11, 03:18 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Yup..happened before at the same dealership...the only reason I went to Sterling McCall Lexus is because they're so close to where i live.

I had a issue with them with a clunk noise when I braked. They said "didn't hear it"..then, "yup, heard it but that was normal noise...can't fix normal" that the exact quote of the service manager (ie..not service advisor, which is lower in the food chain).

anyhow, brought it to another dealership and it was fixed 1st time. Probably is it was a 4 hours drive away (16 hours total for me ...back/forth). Rediculous to go that far of get some decent service.

Anyways, called them back asking them "why" the nike marker bulb would cause denial of warranty ..on the part that not even closely related...and kindly mentioned the Maguson-Moss Act of 1975. They said they'll check back with the head service guy and get back with me tomorrow morning....will see. I have a felling I have to drive another 16 hours to get any kind of work done.

Sterling McCall Lexus sucks *****!
Old 09-07-11, 03:21 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

btw, i wanted to take this as civil as I possibly can...don't really want to make a big fuss out of it while they're still "having my car in possession". Who knows what/how they will do to it to ***** it up.

may be I am paranoid.
Old 09-07-11, 03:58 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hope you get everything sorted out. i hate when dealers pull this type of *****....
Old 09-07-11, 04:07 PM
xole
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As previously mentioned the Maguson-Moss warranty act requires them to prove the modification caused the failure before they can deny a claim.
Old 09-07-11, 05:45 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by xole
As previously mentioned the Maguson-Moss warranty act requires them to prove the modification caused the failure before they can deny a claim.
+1 on that
Old 09-07-11, 06:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The law states that the warranty on an item is only void if that part is directly responsible for a failure. I would remind them of that. I guess I have been lucky. I don't get hassled. I don't see why they would deny it. They stand to make the money and Lexus doesn't need to know. They sound kind of stupid. I bet the tech didn't want to do the work or didn't know how to. I wouldn't let this go. I would raise hell
Old 09-07-11, 09:45 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

wait.. did you just replace the bulbs, or did you open the whole headlight assembly and install LEDs? if the latter, no hope.
Old 09-07-11, 09:51 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
wait.. did you just replace the bulbs, or did you open the whole headlight assembly and install LEDs? if the latter, no hope.
I did this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...bulb-swap.html
Old 09-07-11, 09:56 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

This
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6290438-post16.html
Old 09-07-11, 10:13 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

XOLE is 100% correct on that. They have to prove that the problem was the LED and even then you still have the right to upgrade your car as long as it doesnt include cutting of any wires or modifying any factory safety equipment. I had the same problem when the dealer was telling me that the brake issue was caused by my lowering module. After a nice talk with my lawyer and asking them to prove that it was the module that caused it, the issue turned out to be the wiring harness. Problem was fixed and car and dealer has been great since then. Read the info below.
As far as the 22s go, the dealer I was dealing with said they wouldnt align the car. Went to another 30 min north and they said, no problem. Needless to say that I'll be taking that drive from here on out. Its all on the dealer.

http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10019...ctory-warranty
Old 12-01-11, 11:26 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clear Lake Lexus, much better option for you. I've not had any problem there in 3 years now of dealing with them, plus the waiting room and showroom is really really really! good.

Quick Reply: Dealer denied my warranty because of LED "Nike" bulb installed