LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Service Volumes 1-7 for 2011 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 12:52 PM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Volumes 1-7 for 2011 LS460

I am new to this Lexus Owner's Forum and just bought a new 2011 LS460 AWD after 21 years of trouble free wonderful ownership of a 1990 LS400 (bought new in 1990). As part of my upfront requirements with the 2011 LS460 I needed the dealer to deliver my car, and to include a set of shop service manuals for it. 4 weeks after purchase I still only have volume 1 of the 7 volume set.

The selling dealer takes the position that when a new Lexus owner asks for the service manuals on the their car, that they ALWAYS send them volume 1 only, because it so "broadly covers all topics".

Basically the dealer is looking at their cost on the 7 volume set, and pulling a fast one. Taking legal action would involve a 6 hour round trip of driving to small claims court. Have any of you come across a dealer abusing you as a new customer like this? Their present tact is just to ignore me. Is contacting Lexus USA headquarters going to result in any satisfaction?

Last edited by hotgrips; 09-08-11 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-11, 02:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Did you get that (all 7 volumes) in writing as part of the deal?

Six hours r/t from NH, what dealer did you buy from?
Old 09-09-11, 01:56 AM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

No, the agreement to include the shop service manuals had been verbal, and not been included on any of the original paperwork, as had their pledge to include "valet pickup and delivery of the car when it needed warranty or service work". However There have been numerous emails back and forth on the service manuals to establish that they were part of the agreement to purchase. I also finally did check in with Lexus Customer Satisfaction yesterday to relay to them my problem with the dealer. They checked the history of items ordered for the car and it included a set of shop service volumes for my VIN #. Lexus Customer Satisfaction is looking into what can be done about this problem, and they were in agreement that it is strange to have been told by the dealer that "they only give volume 1 of 7 when a customer requests service manuals". Sounds like I am one of a class of similarly aggrieved customers..... will have to force them in a "Discovery" to reveal a list of all customers who requested "shop service manuals and only received 1 of 7".

I am beginning to be very suspect of this dealer's integrity in all aspects of their sale of the car to me. Two days ago I requested a cancellation of their $469. "Ding Shield" and their aftermarket $2400. 6th-thru 10th year extended warranty and they did not acknowledge the cancellation nor give me further instructions on how to get a refund. The refund promise was in writing in both contracts provided there were no claims within 60 days of the onset of the agreements.

I hesitate to mention the dealer because to do so might create an embarrassing situation for them. If it is their intention ultimately to make good on all of these issues then I would need to edit this posting. The dealer who on the surface is conducting themselves so unprofessionally....even dishonestly I believe....is located in Massachusetts. Have others out there suffered similarly with their dealership? If so I would like to hear from you.

Last edited by hotgrips; 09-09-11 at 02:46 PM. Reason: removal of a Lexus dealership by name
Old 09-09-11, 02:11 AM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

I should add a note of explanation as to why the inclusion of the shop service manuals was not included on part of the original paperwork I signed. I purchased this 2011 LS 460 AWD over the telephone, and gave them my credit card deposit one afternoon. They insisted on having me complete the signing of documents that evening, and the dealer was a three hour drive from my home. They said they would send the salesman or his assistant to my home that evening to have the papers signed. Since it was only 430 in the afternoon I did not see any problem with that, if that is how they want to waste their time. So I agreed, and expected that all aspects of the purchase would be dutifully included.

How wrong I was: for the salesman ended up showing up in my driveway at 11 PM with his papers, and he was so much later than originally planned that I had taken a nap. Being 60 years old and on medications, I arose too quickly from my nap, went to greet the man from the dealership at my door, and my low blood pressure caused me to keel over to the ground. I was in considerable knee pain from the fall, as I had overflexed both knee joints, and simply signed all papers on the spot so that I could take a pain killer and get back to bed. I did not scour the paperwork, but merely signed where the salesman pointed me to sign. Big mistake. The next day I went to the emergency room to attend to my injuries, which to this day still are a significant problem and require further orthopedic (torn ligaments) work.

In hindsight, when the salesman insisted on bringing the papers that night and then reported he was falling behind schedule, I should have asked him to come the next day, not that evening.

Interestingly enough, a similar situation arose upon actual delivery of the car, only upon delivery of the car to my home, it arrived at midnight, when it was impossible to examine the car for any cosmetic flaws. Sure enough, a day later I noticed a windshield flaw that either the dealer or the importer attempted to buff out with an abrasive circular device, and did a poor job at it. The dealership has been notified of the problem and they "will look at it when I return the car to them for the first service".

New car buying, don't you just love it?
Old 09-09-11, 02:23 AM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

The more I think about the dissatisfaction I am having with this Lexus dealership, the more I am considering just selling the car on eBay and buying another from a different dealer. Maybe a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V would be a fun change of pace for me.

Anyone interested in a $5k discount from retail on a 2011 LS460 AWD with 250 miles on the odometer. Includes volume ( now all 7 ) of 7 of the Lexus shop service manuals, four 2011 LS460 take-off alloy wheels intended to be used for snows, and 4 new Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors for the snows. Options include the Navigation Value Edition, Cold Weather package, Comfort package, Touring Edition, trunk mat, wheel locks, cargo net, floor mats. Exterior is their very dark gray color which comes close to approaching black, with black leather interior.

Last edited by hotgrips; 09-12-11 at 08:18 AM. Reason: missing important points.
Old 09-09-11, 03:50 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you already have the right car. You, unfortunately, don't have a good relationship with the right dealer. Hope that Lexus Corp. will rectify the situation and you can enjoy your car. Welcome to the Club and good luck.
Old 09-09-11, 04:10 AM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is sad,... I agree with you that I have the right car, very nicely equipped...just have an unfortunate relationship with the selling dealer. I love the car.
Old 09-09-11, 02:45 PM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

Update... I did speak with the GSM (General Sales Manager) at the dealership and he reports he will be looking into all matters concerning purchase of the LS460. So for the time being, I will go in and edit out the name of the dealership, in anticipation that this will be resolved.
Old 09-09-11, 02:49 PM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

I took the car out for a second short trip this morning, about 30 miles. It is really a magic carpet ride, super quiet, the 8 speed automatic provides plenty of power, super stable at over 65 mph. I do love this car.

Last edited by hotgrips; 09-09-11 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-11, 05:16 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hotgrips
I took the car out for a second short trip this morning, about 30 miles. It is really a magic carpet ride, super quiet, the 8 speed automatic provides plenty of power, super stable at 110 mph. I do love this car.
WOW!
Old 09-09-11, 06:43 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hotgrips
I took the car out for a second short trip this morning, about 30 miles. It is really a magic carpet ride, super quiet, the 8 speed automatic provides plenty of power, super stable at 110 mph. I do love this car.
Hey, did you ever hear about the break-in period?

Glad you are enjoying the car and sorry to hear about all the issues. Most importantly, you are fine health wise and get to enjoy your brand new driving machine.

It's great that it sounds like the dealership will be making things right.

I wish I could say I am surprised by the incompetence, questionable ethics and all the other nonsense you've had to deal with...
Old 09-09-11, 07:40 PM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

You asked if I ever heard of a break-in period? You see officer, I was just cruising along listening to Mozart at about 65, was going downhill, there were no cars for a mile ahead, and I just forgot I was in a new car, just for a second or two. After reading about so much of the problems pre-2011 LS460 owners were having with wind noise, I was just a little curious if my 2011 would have a little more window noise than expected. It didn't, it was like being in this floating bubble on the interstate. I was used to a 4 speed LS400, and here was a 8 speed LS460 with an extra 107 hp more than my older Lexus. The engine rpm was still quite low at 65, then 70, then 80, and then I remembered that OBD-II device that my insurance company talked me into plugging in for a $75. discount. OOPs, better slow down a little, can't be enjoying myself too much, I may want to keep it after all.

Last edited by hotgrips; 09-09-11 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-11, 10:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I never heard of a 7 volume set up. strange
Old 09-10-11, 07:51 AM
hotgrips
Driver School Candidate

The general sales manager from the dealership called this morning, stating they would be getting all seven volumes for me.
Old 09-12-11, 08:36 AM
cf3232
Driver School Candidate

Happy to hear you are getting what the dealership was supposed to give you in the first place. I am happy you like your car so much. Congrats!!!

Quick Reply: Service Volumes 1-7 for 2011 LS460