LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What I like and dislike about this car

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 01:28 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by GregCon
I think it's critically important not to include 'compared to Mercedes or BMW' when saying what you do or don't like about a Lexus. I mean, a car's merits are something that stand, or fall, on its own. A feature should exist because it is needed, not because the Jones' have it.

Plus,I say this because it goes without saying that regardless of how good or bad a LS460 is, it's still way better than a Mercedes/BMW. Perhaps not on every minute level (i.e. "the Mercedes has an automatic trunk closer") but rather as an overall vehicle. Is there really anyone who will pose the argument that a BMW, or Mercedes, is a more reliable and trouble-free car? Or a better value?

My 'gripe' with my LS is simply that it has not shown the same level of quality that my previous Lexus cars have had. For example, this weekend I replaced an O2 sensor in my old 2005 GS300 (now owned by a family member). 135K miles - one starter and one O2 sensor plus routine maintenance. Never touched the fuel system, suspension, steering, radio, engine, etc.
The LS will always stand on its own and it's an excellent automobile that have proven itself. The LS is a better value, more reliable and almost trouble free. That was the purpose of Lexus. MB, BMW, Audi have always competed with Lexus and will continue to do so. Each one will always have their pros and cons. There was a time if your car had AC, power windows and seats, cruise, am/fm 8-track, etc. it was top of the line but in the automotive world today is all about competing and keeping up with the Jones and latest technology. Audi, BMW and MB may cost more but they tend to stay in the shop more and that why I decided to go with Lexus. As former Audi, BMW and MB owner I can speak from experience. Lexus the pursuit of perfection.
Old 11-23-15, 01:52 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I always have to look up to see which button to press for sunroof operation. My Acura had just one ****, was so easy. Talking about too many buttons wife's RX has four.
Old 11-23-15, 03:16 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I will second the headlights. Not low beam. Low beam is fine. But high beam is unimpressive. My Corolla CRUSHES my LS on high beam. The Corolla is by far the best headlights I have ever had.

I generally take issue with my saying something like, "The LS is THE BEST." The best is so ... open.

The best at what? The best also depends on who. Even if each person were tasked with making a test to put the LS and it's competitors through to find out with one is "the best," those lists of tests would vary from person to person.

If funding said vehicle was not an issue, and I had a person I trusted to manage my vehicles (so all I had to do was turn the key and drive), the LS would likely NOT be my vehicle of choice among its competitors. But, since I am forced to pay my own bills, and manage my own fleet of vehicles, the LS is the better choice for me.

If you ask me, "is the LS the best?" My answer is, "at what?" But being that the LS is in my garage, my opinion is that the LS is best at most of the criteria that I find of highest importance in my life at this time. When I become a brazillionaire, "the best" will become some other vehicle.

7milesout
Old 11-23-15, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

My issue is with the low beams. My LED foglights are considerably brighter than the headlights.
Old 11-23-15, 04:09 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My issue is with the low beams. My LED foglights are considerably brighter than the headlights.
How are the LED headlights on 2013+ LS's? I thought the xenon's were brighter in general but then I was behind a new Acura with those Jewel Eye LEDs or whatever....they were SO BRIGHT...and my LS430 has really good xenon's IMO.
Old 11-23-15, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure, I didn't drive one with the LEDs, mine has HIDs.
Old 11-23-15, 05:53 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

S-class and LS HIDs are weak performers. They only look bright to oncoming traffic. Behind the wheel they barely get the job done. The "projector" style glass could be the culprit.

Last edited by superdenso; 11-23-15 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My GS had HID projectors and they were excellent...as did my previous 2010 ES.

Thinking about upgrading to Osram CBI bulbs, don't know if they would get me a little more light output or not.
Old 11-23-15, 10:17 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find my 2008's HID projectors to be excellent, the best low beams of any car I've ever owned (including two others with factory HIDs). Don't know if the 2013 design is substantially different.
Old 11-23-15, 10:21 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The LS will always stand on its own and it's an excellent automobile that have proven itself. The LS is a better value, more reliable and almost trouble free. That was the purpose of Lexus. MB, BMW, Audi have always competed with Lexus and will continue to do so. Each one will always have their pros and cons. There was a time if your car had AC, power windows and seats, cruise, am/fm 8-track, etc. it was top of the line but in the automotive world today is all about competing and keeping up with the Jones and latest technology. Audi, BMW and MB may cost more but they tend to stay in the shop more and that why I decided to go with Lexus. As former Audi, BMW and MB owner I can speak from experience. Lexus the pursuit of perfection.
That statement right there is false. Why? Because Lexus came into the game to compete with the listed cars, not vice-versa. Lexus is still the newcomer to the luxury game, though it looks like Hyundai is aiming to take the budget luxury crown away from them.
Lexus also comes with its own issues and there are quite a few owners who would disagree with the whole "pursuit of perfection" idea, especially with their poor road noise control in all other models.
Old 11-24-15, 06:10 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by NickTee
That statement right there is false. Why? Because Lexus came into the game to compete with the listed cars, not vice-versa. Lexus is still the newcomer to the luxury game, though it looks like Hyundai is aiming to take the budget luxury crown away from them.
Lexus also comes with its own issues and there are quite a few owners who would disagree with the whole "pursuit of perfection" idea, especially with their poor road noise control in all other models.
Lexus came into the game to compete with Audi, BMW, MB is true and during that time Audi sales had plummeted. Lexus may be the newcomer to the luxury game but it competed well with the well established competitors. I know Hyundai is making strides but its resale value is extremely low. Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, Jag. etc all comes with issues. I never had a road noise issue with my LS and if so that would be a small price to pay considering what a money pit and other issues I had with a BMW and MB I previously owned.
Old 11-24-15, 06:23 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
I find my 2008's HID projectors to be excellent, the best low beams of any car I've ever owned (including two others with factory HIDs). Don't know if the 2013 design is substantially different.
I have to agree.
My low beams are considerably bright and the peripheral range that they provide is excellent as well. My only slight complaint is that they are aimed a bit too low, but that's an easy fix I haven't addresses as of yet.
Between my LED fogs (even without them), parking/corner lights and low beams, I highly doubt my night time visibility could be any better.
Old 11-24-15, 06:26 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

My Mercedes ML350 is a money pit from hell. It's a great car to drive but always has a issue. The resale value doesn't come close to what anyone will actually pay you for it, as I found out, hence I just keep it as a spare to drive in the snow.
Old 11-24-15, 06:42 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My GS had HID projectors and they were excellent...as did my previous 2010 ES.

Thinking about upgrading to Osram CBI bulbs, don't know if they would get me a little more light output or not.
According to a listing on Amazon (info provided by a product representative), as well as information I read previously regarding the Lexus HID bulbs, the Osram bulb K rating is nearly 1700 more than the OEM bulb - 4300K vs 5000K.
I'm not sure what difference it makes, but I noticed on my HID bulb, the electrode staff was brown, whereas the charging staff in the Osram bulb is blue.
The DS1 bulb I saw was described as "cool blue" but the advertised K rating of 5000K would suggest that the hue of blue wouldn't be quite as present as a bulb with 6500K+.
As long as the bulb was brighter but still produces a pure bright white light with little to no blue hue,
I'd be a buyer.
Old 11-24-15, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
According to a listing on Amazon (info provided by a product representative), as well as information I read previously regarding the Lexus HID bulbs, the Osram bulb K rating is nearly 1700 more than the OEM bulb - 4300K vs 5000K.
I'm not sure what difference it makes, but I noticed on my HID bulb, the electrode staff was brown, whereas the charging staff in the Osram bulb is blue.
The DS1 bulb I saw was described as "cool blue" but the advertised K rating of 5000K would suggest that the hue of blue wouldn't be quite as present as a bulb with 6500K+.
As long as the bulb was brighter but still produces a pure bright white light with little to no blue hue,
I'd be a buyer.
The Osram CBI's claim to fame is that they have 5000k color temp with no loss of llumens (OEM is 4100k, that difference is 900k not 1700k ) They have a brighter whiter color temp, more similar to LEDs.

Usually when you go up in color temp you loose usable light.

Quick Reply: What I like and dislike about this car