LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Wearing FAST

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 03:49 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Wearing FAST

Based on recommendations here, I put these tires on 13K miles ago. I'd probably get only get 20K ANYWAY, but with winter coming I do not like the thin tread and am probably gonna replace them soon. I'm down to 5/32nds. I know that the OEM tires are only good for 20K...perhaps this is just what's expected. ?? Anyone else get such poor tread life on these tires? I do run them with higher pressure than Lexus recommends, but even so something isn't right here. Any suggestions/comments?

Last edited by daryll40; 10-13-11 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 05:24 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Anyone else get such poor tread life on these tires?
I got these same tires but have only had them for a month and 2K miles. I've been impressed with their handling and grip on wet roads so far. Winter with worn tires doesn't sound fun. I take it they aren't to the wear indicators yet?

Others on this thread had similar wear issues to yours:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-please-2.html

I'm counting on Michelin standing behind their 6YR or 45K treadwear warranty. I plan to just apply the credit toward a new set if mine follow the trend ... hopefully hitting the wear indicators just prior to winter.
Old 10-13-11, 05:54 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KYLS
I got these same tires but have only had them for a month and 2K miles. I've been impressed with their handling and grip on wet roads so far. Winter with worn tires doesn't sound fun. I take it they aren't to the wear indicators yet?

Others on this thread had similar wear issues to yours:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-please-2.html

I'm counting on Michelin standing behind their 6YR or 45K treadwear warranty. I plan to just apply the credit toward a new set if mine follow the trend ... hopefully hitting the wear indicators just prior to winter.
Yeah, I'll get some credit, but it's a hassle and on your own nickel to send them back to Tire Rack. Plus they won't issue the credit until they get the tires back so you have to buy new tires first. And if they get them and they or Michelin decides your claim isn't valid, there's not much you can do.
Old 10-15-11, 08:49 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Update: As per the above post, Tire Rack was a real hassle. My advice is that while Tire Rack's selection and prices can't be beat, don't count on being able to realistically use any sort of warranty. The hassle factor is just too great. All of that being said, I contacted Michelin and finally got a supervisor. The good news is that, thru a local "bricks 'n mortar" Michelin dealer, I am getting new tires for 31% of the regular selling price plus $20 per tire for mounting. The bad news is that I'm getting the same tire...still the best choice for this car of what Michelin offers. But at least with a "bricks 'n mortar" Michelin dealer, I can come back yet again for another pro-rated fix if the new tires have not been improved as they sort of indicated.
Old 10-15-11, 10:20 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

...Tire Rack was a real hassle. ....
I'd purchased tires from them in the past for my Land Cruiser, but never had to exercise the warranty. Glad to hear you were able to work something out with Michelin. I stopped going the TireRack route once we got a local Costco for I've found their prices excellent and service top notch.*

* Disclaimer: I have no investment in Costco beyond my annual membership.
Old 10-15-11, 10:40 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

How does Costco handle warranty issues?
Old 10-15-11, 12:39 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

How does Costco handle warranty issues?
I can't speak to how they handle tires, but I had to bring a battery back about a year ago and it couldn't have been easier. Absolutely no hassle, no questions, just refunded my money as fast as she could punch it in the register.
Old 10-15-11, 01:19 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on recommendations here, I put these tires on 13K miles ago. I'd probably get only get 20K ANYWAY, but with winter coming I do not like the thin tread and am probably gonna replace them soon. I'm down to 5/32nds. I know that the OEM tires are only good for 20K...perhaps this is just what's expected. ?? Anyone else get such poor tread life on these tires? I do run them with higher pressure than Lexus recommends, but even so something isn't right here. Any suggestions/comments?
Like you, I find the life of these tires disappointing. I replaced the OEM tires at 38K with the Michelins, now at 70K miles, they probably have 5 to 8K miles of life remaining. I was expecting to get more than 35K out of these tires. I bought these at American tire and they will prorate for their tread warranty. I don't think I will buy these again - hopefully there is a better replacement.

WOW, less than 20K miles for tires in this price range sucks.

American tire beat Tirerack's price and they provide free rotation and flat repair.
Old 10-15-11, 01:29 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

We don't have American tire here. Second, I'd give my right armature to get 35K out of ANY tire on ANY car in Pittsburgh.
Old 10-15-11, 01:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I got 20k out of a set on my dropped GS350. I think your alignment may need to be checked
Old 10-15-11, 01:46 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

It was. Alignment is fine. But the info that you only got 20K on a lighter GS350 is helpful. It confirms that these tires don't last too long, albeit should do better than I did.
Old 10-15-11, 02:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

actually I got 20k on the GS but then sold it and got a LS460. When the car was sold the tires were still fine. I would have estimated at least another 4-5k out of them and that dropped. The michelin pilot sport AS plus is the best tire I have ever had in my life. The tread wear is insane and the ride comfort and low noise level is amazing. I wish they made them in 22" for my LS
Old 10-15-11, 02:46 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I can't speak to how they handle tires, but I had to bring a battery back about a year ago and it couldn't have been easier. Absolutely no hassle, no questions, just refunded my money as fast as she could punch it in the register.
That's been my experience with returns too. Costco replaced two of my wife's tires under the road hazard coverage and we were treated more than fair ... one was almost new and was done for free, another developed a slight bulge they caught during the free rotation/balance and it was replaced for a pro-rated amount based on tread left.
Old 10-16-11, 10:03 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I have the A/S on right now, I'm not too happy but how hard are you driving your car?

I am a big fan of discounttire, they will even handle special ordering tires from any other location
I like to use the following for price comparing and shopping

tirerack.com
discounttire.com
discounttiredirect.com

The service discount tire gives me is impeccable, I take all my cars there -- never ever have to worry about shipping tires (tires? seriously!)
Old 10-17-11, 08:00 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLS
That's been my experience with returns too. Costco replaced two of my wife's tires under the road hazard coverage and we were treated more than fair ... one was almost new and was done for free, another developed a slight bulge they caught during the free rotation/balance and it was replaced for a pro-rated amount based on tread left.

COSTCO has a SUPERB national reputation for being 1 of America's TOP retailers for honoring - in a most morally-conscience manner - product warranty claims, as well as those involving customer dissatisfaction due to product failures.

They may or not offer the "best price" but they certainly assure the consumer total "Peace Of Mind."

Simply my 2 cents worth and we all know what that's worth. LOl !

Enjoy a really NICE day out there !

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Wearing FAST