LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

front sonars not fully working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 05:33 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default front sonars not fully working?

Hey guys,

our LS460 has 6 sonar sensors in the front. The two outter most ones (closest to the front wheels), are those too real sensors? I just realized those two are not working on my car. The reason I ask is because they look a little bigger than the rest of the working sensors on the car so I'm not sure if it's real sensors or just plastic plugs. Since both sides are not working, I can't tell...

please let me know so I don't waste a trip to the dealer. thanks.
Old 11-05-11, 11:28 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

An ni 1????
Old 11-05-11, 12:19 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

All of them should work.
Old 11-07-11, 07:32 AM
quensx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of them work. I see the screen blinking on the sides when my car gets near anything near the corners of the front left and right bumpers. You should get them checked out.
Old 11-07-11, 07:34 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. Scheduled for appt tomorrow.
Old 11-10-11, 11:51 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

dropped off at the dealer for the last couple of days...they called me back and said the two side ones are not working...it only work in "Park Assist" mode. Hmm...when you're parking, I thought that IS park assist isn't it?
Old 11-10-11, 01:09 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine seem to work all the time. I have a refrigerator in my garage in the corner and when I pull the car into the garage, I use the sonar sensor feedback as a way to determine how far to pull in. The corner ones clearly are giving me a readout.
Old 11-11-11, 05:30 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Thanks. That was how I remembered it too.

The service advisor there (very nice guy btw), informed me that it only work in Park Assist mode. I think he is confused Park Assist mode, which is the normal parking with the sonar sensors to "assist" in measuring parking distance with the Lexus auto parallel parking (Lexus Advance Guidance Parking).

Anyways, I sent him an email regarding this issue. Hopefully he will replace the two front sides defective sensors.

BTW, I brought the car there (Sterling Mccall Lexus) for headlight adjustment before. The previous technician removed the bumper (or so said the previous service advisor to fix it) and taped up all the foam (crash absorbing material) to hold it in place. I wonder why he didn't use double sided tape to do so. It looks like a real hacked up job on these professionals. He is no longer there (or so I was informed). I wonder why. I think he might have mangled my wiring harness up a little bit. I was shown a little nick on the harness. Not a big issue since I can resolder that up myself. I used to do all this with my race car & rebuilding engines, run wires to the new ECU etc. when I was younger. Removing the bumper (or bumper cover) on this LS looks simple enough. I saw some instruction on this board on how to remove it. Looks like a 15 minutes job. Looks like I need to find a free weekends to work on the car & clean things up myself

Last edited by randomwalk; 11-11-11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-12-11, 08:26 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

End result: sterling McCall dealer doesn't give a *****. The end.
Old 11-12-11, 10:59 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by randomwalk
I feel for you. It seems that all the Houston area stealerships in concert don't give a dam$ about their premier customers anymore. They are too busy making fistful of money selling RX & ES models and associated services to the soccer moms. I have always dealt with the stealership located on the north and the west side of the metro area. Last few years their service went downhill fast. They screwed up even minor stuff like tire pressures, and moreover after every service, the vehicle came back with more dings, nicks, and scratches on the inside and the outside. Being an **** person, it was just too painful. Finally after being a loyal Lexus customers for over14+ years, out of frustration, I got rid of all my four Lexus products at the same time. I just didn't have the time nor the patient to deal with the factory trained bozos and their imbecile managers.

May be in fours years their will be enough of a service staff turn over at the dealerships for me to reconsider Lexus again.
Old 11-13-11, 01:58 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well jeez, that's a harsh ending lol

Were you able to fix it??
Old 11-13-11, 10:26 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's the same story at most dealerships nowadays, sadly