LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket BMW wheels on a LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 06:04 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
21" wheels and tires are just as easy to find as 22" wheels and tires... not sure where this bias against 21s is coming from. i also think 22" wheels are too large for the car unless you're rocking a large, low aerokit
i do agree on that i just test fitted some 2 piece 22's and I am a llittle on the high side!!! need some tanabes or coils compared to the stockers. 21's are prefered for the ls. but the odd size is what throws us off.
Old 02-10-12, 12:47 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*shrugs* i think 21"s are perfect for this car -- look at all the japanese demo cars that have been posted in the 4LS modification thread. most of them are running 21"s, including the mode parfume and aimgain demo cars.

21"s also don't take any more effort at all. the tires are readily available, the LS takes the same 21" tire size as the BMW optional OEM 21" (and alpina) wheels, and wheels are easily found in 21". i'd wager 22"s take more effort because of load rating issues -- my 600h is simply too heavy for a 255/30/22 with a load rating of 95, which is one of the reasons i'm selling my 22" rinspeeds and looking at 21" wheels. keep in mind the original load rating on the oem michelin 18" tires is 97.

and just curious, what does age have to do with it? i'm 25, btw.
How do you know your car is too heavy? Again, seems a bit extreme. I was asking about the age because I believe age plays a part in what people do to cars. Really don't want to get off on a tangent here. There are plenty of other posts that achieve that.
Old 02-10-12, 12:49 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Well, speaking from personal experience, the point is personal preference. I prefer a little more meat on my tire. I currently own a set of 22s and my next set of wheels currently being built is a set of 21s.

Was it more difficult to source tires? Nope.

Will I regret stepping down from 22 to 21s? Absolutely not.
Okay, still think there are less options for 21s than 22s when it comes to tires. It's just a fact. There isn't a large market for 21s like there is for 22s. And you can get as much meat as you want for a 22 well, so that really doesn't make since to me unless you're trying to keep the same circumference as your factory wheel?
Old 02-10-12, 01:12 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is what the lexus ls460 nav system should look like
this is an after market pioneer nav system.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket BMW wheels on a LS460-avic-z140bh_reg.jpg  
Old 02-10-12, 01:15 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ikeb
here is what the lexus ls460 nav system should look like
this is an after market pioneer nav system.
That looks good. Why do you say that Lexus should look that way?
Old 02-10-12, 01:53 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
How do you know your car is too heavy? Again, seems a bit extreme. I was asking about the age because I believe age plays a part in what people do to cars. Really don't want to get off on a tangent here. There are plenty of other posts that achieve that.
because the original load rating is 97, which is already a little underrated for a 5300lb car, and because i cracked one of my rinspeeds a few weeks ago. if i had been running a 21" wheel with a higher profile tire, i would have been fine.

also, since my car is a 600h, it weighs almost 800lb more than an ls460. i think you'll be fine running an ls460 on 22s.
Old 02-10-12, 01:55 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OSU
And you can get as much meat as you want for a 22 well, so that really doesn't make since to me unless you're trying to keep the same circumference as your factory wheel?
you should try to keep your tire within 3% of the factory circumference says the aftermarket tire and wheel industry. they warn of brake failure and stuff like that, but i'm not too sure how much of that is true. regardless, i like to keep my tire OD close to that of the stock tires so my speedo isn't off by too much.
Old 02-10-12, 02:15 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
And you can get as much meat as you want for a 22 well, so that really doesn't make since to me unless you're trying to keep the same circumference as your factory wheel?
If you're modifying your car and not concerned with the same circumference as as your factory standards, as cheez stated before, your speedometer and odometer are going to thrown off by that same carelessness.

Just because you "can add as much meat as you want for a 22" doesn't mean that's what you should be doing. It's no different than one's taste with jewelry or food, more doesn't always mean better.

I think your mentality of 21" tires being much harder to find or are more expensive than 22" tires is a thing of the past. 21" tires are available in just about every make/model/size nowadays. Having just come back from SEMA, I can tell you that even the small market cap tire companies have released 21" tires because some OEM factory vehicles are equipped with 21s.
Old 02-10-12, 03:09 PM
OSU
Pole Position

If you're modifying your car and not concerned with the same circumference as as your factory standards, as cheez stated before, your speedometer and odometer are going to thrown off by that same carelessness.

Just because you "can add as much meat as you want for a 22" doesn't mean that's what you should be doing. It's no different than one's taste with jewelry or food, more doesn't always mean better.

I think your mentality of 21" tires being much harder to find or are more expensive than 22" tires is a thing of the past. 21" tires are available in just about every make/model/size nowadays. Having just come back from SEMA, I can tell you that even the small market cap tire companies have released 21" tires because some OEM factory vehicles are equipped with 21s.
I wouldn't call it carelessness as it doesn't throw it off by much, what 2 mph, give or take, wow. Please don't comment on my mentality as if you know me. It doesn't matter if you just came from SEMA, the odd number does equal less availability. That doesn't mean you can't find a tire nor does that mean you can't find a rim, it's just not as abundant buddy.

My point remains the same, just because people on this site want to endlessly search for a 21 inch rim, doesn't mean that the popularity is the same as a 22 is in the free world. Most people just don't think of a 21 inch rim when they think of purchasing rims for such a big car.
Old 02-10-12, 04:30 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OSU
My point remains the same, just because people on this site want to endlessly search for a 21 inch rim, doesn't mean that the popularity is the same as a 22 is in the free world. Most people just don't think of a 21 inch rim when they think of purchasing rims for such a big car.
i think 22s are what most people on this forum want -- like i mentioned before, most of the modded japanese 4th gen LS's are running 21s, whether they're personal cars or demo cars. just a different way of thinking, i guess. i'm also a fan of smaller wheels -- my Q45 is running 18s whereas most of the other american built Qs are running 19s.

there's also a few guys running 23's in japanland on these cars -- talk about rareness of tires (as far as i know, there's only a 265/25/23 pirelli p-zero that would remotely work). :P

anyway, it's all just money, right? not a big deal. gotta pay to play and all that jazz :P
Old 02-10-12, 05:19 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
I wouldn't call it carelessness as it doesn't throw it off by much, what 2 mph, give or take, wow. Please don't comment on my mentality as if you know me. It doesn't matter if you just came from SEMA, the odd number does equal less availability. That doesn't mean you can't find a tire nor does that mean you can't find a rim, it's just not as abundant buddy.
This is going to be my last response to this thread as it's going in circles.

I'm not questioning your mentality, nor do I understand why you're so heated about this discussion. One thing that is for certain, your opinion is an opinion, and not a "fact". Popularity is proven through sales numbers and quantities sold. Spreadsheets and systems count these numbers and I have built these spreadsheets.

The fact of the matter is that you don't work in the industry, whereas I work very closely with them. Not sure who's questioning whose mentality at this point, but please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-10-12, 06:12 PM
OSU
Pole Position

i think 22s are what most people on this forum want -- like i mentioned before, most of the modded japanese 4th gen LS's are running 21s, whether they're personal cars or demo cars. just a different way of thinking, i guess. i'm also a fan of smaller wheels -- my Q45 is running 18s whereas most of the other american built Qs are running 19s.

there's also a few guys running 23's in japanland on these cars -- talk about rareness of tires (as far as i know, there's only a 265/25/23 pirelli p-zero that would remotely work). :P

anyway, it's all just money, right? not a big deal. gotta pay to play and all that jazz :P
Man, 23s are really rare, Lol! Never even crossed my radar.
Old 02-10-12, 06:13 PM
OSU
Pole Position

This is going to be my last response to this thread as it's going in circles.

I'm not questioning your mentality, nor do I understand why you're so heated about this discussion. One thing that is for certain, your opinion is an opinion, and not a "fact". Popularity is proven through sales numbers and quantities sold. Spreadsheets and systems count these numbers and I have built these spreadsheets.

The fact of the matter is that you don't work in the industry, whereas I work very closely with them. Not sure who's questioning whose mentality at this point, but please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about.
I'm not heated and I don't want to come across that way, but please take your own advise as well.
Old 02-10-12, 07:14 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OSU
Man, 23s are really rare, Lol! Never even crossed my radar.
i found this photo in our stickied 4ls modification thread haha:

the car's now a cool copper shade. ridiculous

and here's a yahoo auctions japan listing for said wheels: http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/l117682175
Old 02-10-12, 08:40 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you know whats cool about that on first glimpse???? the color matched visors.. talk about detail. if i paid my ish im going white pearl....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket BMW wheels on a LS460