LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS display

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 07:21 PM
Sebastian9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS display

Hi. One thing i find strange in my 09 ls460 is the tpms display. It shows the tire pressure quite nicely and accurately but it does not show FL,FR,RL,RR and spare. When reading owners manual i found : "there is no correlation between the order of the displayed values and the tire positions." Sorry guys (english is my second language) - are they telling me that the displayed values will be different every time i rotate my wheels ? Can the car not recognize which tires are front or rear ? I know one way to find out is just to let the air out of each tire and check the display but is there a better way ? Or am i missing something here ?
Old 11-21-11, 08:38 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

As far as I understand, the readings might even vary each time you start the car, just depends on the order that the car detects the signals from the TPMS sensors.
Old 11-21-11, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the readings don't change every time you start the car, it's in a fixed way (literally). even when you rotate tires, particular sensor is still in the same position. that's why there is no way to tell the location of the wheel.

so yes, it's kind of silly
Old 11-22-11, 03:00 AM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can take the time out to deflate each tire and mark down which one it is? haha.
Old 11-22-11, 05:07 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the readings don't change every time you start the car, it's in a fixed way (literally). even when you rotate tires, particular sensor is still in the same position. that's why there is no way to tell the location of the wheel.

so yes, it's kind of silly
So if I rotate my tires front to back the dashboard readout will remain the same top to bottom?

If I have 35 psi in four tires and 33 psi in one tire, and the 33 reading is the third one down from the top, and I rotate the tires -- are you saying the 33 psi reading will still be in the same position on the list?

I thought if the 33 psi reading was front the front tire and I rotated that tire to the back, the reading should change position in the list, right?
Old 11-22-11, 05:19 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive that the top reading is always the spare.
Old 11-22-11, 07:39 AM
2thfxr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlawr
So if I rotate my tires front to back the dashboard readout will remain the same top to bottom?

If I have 35 psi in four tires and 33 psi in one tire, and the 33 reading is the third one down from the top, and I rotate the tires -- are you saying the 33 psi reading will still be in the same position on the list?

I thought if the 33 psi reading was front the front tire and I rotated that tire to the back, the reading should change position in the list, right?
You are correct, the dash reading will stay the same when you rotate tires. The car will always list the tires in the that same new order until you rotate them, the dealer can change the order of listing by plugging in a computer.
Old 11-22-11, 07:40 AM
2thfxr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stanatl
I beleive that the top reading is always the spare.
In my LS the spare was always the last listed until I rotated tires.
Old 11-22-11, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jlawr

correct. again, the order top to bottom has nothing to do with exact location of the tires
Old 11-22-11, 02:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am surprised to see this in my car as well. My wife's old Acura TL told her exactly what tire was low. If it doesn't tell you specifically which tire is low then they might as well just use a simple light indicator like all of the other cars. I have to check all 4 tires anyway because it doesn't direct me
Old 11-22-11, 05:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am surprised to see this in my car as well. My wife's old Acura TL told her exactly what tire was low. If it doesn't tell you specifically which tire is low then they might as well just use a simple light indicator like all of the other cars. I have to check all 4 tires anyway because it doesn't direct me
and given my luck, it's always the last tire i check that's low
Old 11-22-11, 11:16 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last one is always the spare i believe because it matched my stock wheels when I had them on.
1st and 3rd one are the front 2 tires and 2nd and 4th are the rear tires.
Old 11-22-11, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSP David
last one is always the spare i believe because it matched my stock wheels when I had them on.
1st and 3rd one are the front 2 tires and 2nd and 4th are the rear tires.
again, incorrect. rotate your tires including the spare and the positions are all messed up because they don't change location. that's just fact

on my ls460l, the spare was 2nd to last. i know because i bumped that thing to 50psi
Old 11-23-11, 10:19 AM
eddie_k_
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
again, incorrect. rotate your tires including the spare and the positions are all messed up because they don't change location. that's just fact

on my ls460l, the spare was 2nd to last. i know because i bumped that thing to 50psi
He's right.

What I did is deflated each one to locate which is which, once I knew which is which I had the sensors moved in an order I can remember. Which is from top to bottom- front left (top), front right(2nd from top), rear left(3rd from top), rear right (4th from top) and the Spare on the bottom.
Old 12-08-12, 02:46 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie_k_
He's right.

What I did is deflated each one to locate which is which, once I knew which is which I had the sensors moved in an order I can remember. Which is from top to bottom- front left (top), front right(2nd from top), rear left(3rd from top), rear right (4th from top) and the Spare on the bottom.
How do you 'move the sensors'?

Quick Reply: TPMS display