LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 01:08 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LS460 life expectancy

How long do think the LS460 can last in miles, given the fact that the owner is religiously maintaining their car especially when it comes to changing the engine oil on schedule?

My friend's dad owns an LS400 (I think 95) and it has over 1 million km on the odo and it runs just fine.

It'd be interesting to see what Lexus is expecting in terms of how long their car can live (specifically the engine and transmission) as revealed from all kinds of tests.
Old 11-24-11, 07:04 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have some 1991 LS400's that were originally company cars and at the end of 36 months, the employees could bid and buy them really cheap. I still see atleast 5 or 6 them in our parking lots. Looking immaculate, obviously well maintained. I would imagine by now they must have pretty high mileage. Now that you have aroused my curiosity, I will track the employee owners and get the actual odometer readings.
Old 11-24-11, 07:11 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

IMO from an engine and transmission standpoint I would expect they would outlive the rest of the car. In snowbelt states the road salt will likely deteriorate the body and underside parts long before the engine and transmission fail. And otherwise, I would think once too many electronic parts fail that it would make repair financially unreasonable and the car would not be as comfortable to drive.
Old 11-29-11, 07:26 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

I rounded up a rookie engineer and sent him out to find the owners of the LS in our parking lot as previously mentioned. I have pasted below his brief observations. The only conclusion that can be derived from this country style survey is that the life expectancy will be directly proportional to the scheduled maintenance performed and TLC.

(1)WHITE COLOR - 268,876 miles. Owned and maintained by the shop foreman (original owner). Besides the routine replacement i.e. battery, tires, belts, hoses, timing belt, and brake jobs. Also replaced all the shocks, front window motors, alternator. Upgraded sound system. Re-built rear-end. Reupholstered seats, replaced carpet and headliner. Immaculate inside and out.
(2) SILVER COLOR - 240,592 miles. 3rd employee owner. Besides the routine stuff, replaced headlights, front & rear shocks and front tie rod ends. Overall good condition but showing wear & tear given the age.
(3) WHITE COLOR - 208,739 miles. Original employee owner. Her husband does all the maintenance. She could only think of battery replacement. Immaculate inside & out.
(4) Black Color - 260,887 miles. 2nd employee owner. Besides the routine replacements. Replaced muffler, headliner, water pump and radiator. Replaced front & rear bumper. Leather seats seemed pretty worn. Overall looks okay but not that great.
(5) Dark Grey -300,000 +miles. Has been bought and sold 5 or 6 times amongst the employees. I didn't ask many questions. The outside looked awful , paint is faded and peeling. Inside was a disaster.... dash & plastic trims cracked with heavy UV damage, seat leather ripped and missing at places, headliner completely missing. Glove box and front armrest missing. I doubt if this car has ever been washed. Based on the overall appearance, I don't think the speedometer is even accurate.
Old 12-01-11, 03:57 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
IMO from an engine and transmission standpoint I would expect they would outlive the rest of the car. In snowbelt states the road salt will likely deteriorate the body and underside parts long before the engine and transmission fail. And otherwise, I would think once too many electronic parts fail that it would make repair financially unreasonable and the car would not be as comfortable to drive.
Even the LS's in WI that see every winter you will only see a early 90's LS with some quarter panel wheel well rust, or maybe some rust on the hood where chips weren't sealed up. They hold up pretty well in salt. Sometimes rust will show up under the chrome piece above the rear license plate on the LS430's.
Old 12-01-11, 05:03 PM
Nospinzone

Her husband does all the maintenance. She could only think of battery replacement.

Doooooh!

They hold up pretty well in salt.

That's good to hear. My Infiniti Q45a has not fared as well. What bothers me is I after snowstorms and road salt was put down, I would get the garden hose out and wash underneath the vehicle.
Old 12-05-11, 09:11 PM
HSVRX350
Rookie

Actually, I believe the LS400 will outlive the LS460 because they don't build them like they used to! LS460 leather is cheap now adays - mine showed wear after 60K miles and other issues. I just got tired of looking at it and traded it for a faster car. :lol:
Old 12-06-11, 02:42 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by HSVRX350
LS460 leather is cheap now adays - mine showed wear after 60K miles
Yea, but were those highway miles or city miles!
Old 12-06-11, 04:23 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So far my car only has minor wear on the seats that you can't really notice (black interior) the new car interior smell is kinda gone by now but thats about it. Oh, and i'm at 53k miles 08
Old 12-06-11, 09:50 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do worry that my LS may not last as long as the previous generations. The current generation of LS was designed and mainly built during Toyota's fervent expansion to be #1 volume auto maker. There is the goal of producing with lower cost, and "quantity over quality" attitude. Especially since CEO Mr. Toyoda San pretty much has admitted that Lexus lost its focus in the last few years.

Hopefully, my LS will last. I was planning on keeping it for at least 8-9 years like all my previous Toyota and Lexus vehicles. My brother had a 1996 LS400 (bought when new) with over 200K Miles that he finally sold this year, now that's quality!
Old 12-07-11, 08:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would have to say with all the electronics in the new LS, I am not sure it would last as long as the original LS.

But, the LS should go 10 years or 200,000 miles easy before anything fails.
Old 12-08-11, 04:56 PM
realperson
Driver School Candidate

Default suspension rubber bushings are cracking

On LS600H just quoted $3575 for upper control arms on front suspension cracking on 85000 mile lexus on a mid american state climate. So where is the 200,000 mile worry free motoring?
Old 12-10-11, 10:06 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
My Infiniti Q45a has not fared as well.
Funny you should mention the Q45. After twenty years mine still runs well with very little spent on repairs, BUT the interior is falling apart; plastics discoloring and becoming brittle, dashboard and vinyl covering coming unglued. Where as my Dad's LS400 also a '91, runs well and still looks great inside and out. The weather in Kentucky is more extreme than Washington state (where my Dad and his Lexus live), so perhaps not a fair comparison. None the less it factored into my decision to buy a Lexus. Hopefully they have not let things slip too much, for I'm hoping to get many years out of mine. Time will tell...
Old 12-12-11, 08:26 AM
realperson
Driver School Candidate

around 100k or 7 years, seat leather starts cracking on my older LX470 . thats replacable if you want to go to the expense.
Old 12-12-11, 08:58 AM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by realperson
On LS600H just quoted $3575 for upper control arms on front suspension cracking on 85000 mile lexus on a mid american state climate. So where is the 200,000 mile worry free motoring?
that doesn't sound right at all. the upper control arm/bushings retail for $6-700. I was looking to purchase a set to modify/customize. I find it shocking that a dealer would charge close to $3,000 for labor alone.

Quick Reply: LS460 life expectancy