LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mods: Why Do People Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 03:10 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i scratch my head more on the pinstripe

Old 12-05-11, 04:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I mean this question with a dose of honest respect. Why do so many of you posting here buy bigger wheels and "drop" the car and do other mods? I totally do not get it. Yeah, I understand putting a pinstripe or a front affinity plate (for places where there is no front license plate...such as decorative PITTSBURGH STEELERS plates for the front). But the wheels/tires thing, especially leaves me totally scratching my head.
Interesting you are part of a mod-centric site and still don't understand. You've been around a long time....it hasn't hit you yet? I don't have an LS but I'll mod it if I get one. Here are my reasons:
- Make it mine. Make it look unlike any other. It may be similar to other modded cars but won't be exactly alike.
- Modded cars look better. It's cool if others like it but I do it because I like bigger wheels and lowered suspensions. They make the car look better. Especially as the car ages. Modding keeps it fresh.
- I like the sport/luxury combination. Actually, I lean more to the sport ride but I gotta have luxury.

I have always modded every car I've had since 16 yrs old. that's over 35 years of automobile fun. I had the coolest 1973 Monte Carlo. Everyone wanted to ride in it. I made it different...at a time when very few people modded cars.

2 negatives....it's expensive and people who know you always know where you are or where your car is parked. When I was single I got caught by girls hanging out with other girls because of this. Now that I'm married it's alright.
Old 12-05-11, 05:10 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
negatives....it's expensive and I got caught by girls hanging out with other girls because of this.

Dang ! I gotta stop modding now ! ...... LOL !
Old 12-05-11, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
i do it so people don't assume the car is my dad's :P
Good answer..
Old 12-05-11, 06:23 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i scratch my head more on pinstripe

jokes aside, i just do what i like
LOL!

I HATE pinstrips it is sooo 70's & 80's. it's played out like the poka dots. I mod to make my car my own vs it looking like the next guys 460 that is the same color etc.
Old 12-05-11, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY

Originally Posted by Tee
LOL!

I HATE pinstrips it is sooo 70's & 80's. it's played out like the poka dots. I mod to make my car my own vs it looking like the next guys 460 that is the same color etc.
ok, just to be sure, it's completely a joke

to me mod is for each person, not everything is my cup of tea but then again i respect everyone does what they like / love / want. it's pretty much like most other decisions in your life.
Old 12-05-11, 09:05 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Like everyone said, it's all about customization-making it your own.

The aftermarket wheels that lexus also carries in the dealership aren't that great looking either (and overly overpriced), so this is why most go elsewhere.

And sizewise, regarding wheels, for the general consensus, as long as it's not 24"+, then it's fairly safe.

Everyone has their own taste.
No disrespect, but I never understand this fad (ok, it's for a different age group though)

Old 12-05-11, 10:59 AM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As everyone mentioned, I modded my car to make it more personalized. The Led bulb swap only enhanced what Lexus should have done from the factory. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-05-11, 12:06 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well put by everyone. Nothing more to add. My only question is if no one modded their car, what would be the point of Club Lexus? There's only so much you can say about a factory LS.
Old 12-05-11, 12:08 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY

+1
Old 12-05-11, 02:32 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
Well put by everyone. Nothing more to add. My only question is if no one modded their car, what would be the point of Club Lexus? There's only so much you can say about a factory LS.
Amen Brotha
Old 12-05-11, 03:14 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

I do mod the hell out of my muscle cars. But my LS-460 is completely stock - only added tint, nothing else. I think modding Japanese cars make them harder to sell later, unless you have the patience to de-mod.
Old 12-05-11, 03:58 PM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I mean this question with a dose of honest respect. Why do so many of you posting here buy bigger wheels and "drop" the car and do other mods? I totally do not get it. Yeah, I understand putting a pinstripe or a front affinity plate (for places where there is no front license plate...such as decorative PITTSBURGH STEELERS plates for the front). But the wheels/tires thing, especially leaves me totally scratching my head.
Because my car will look better and get more attention than yours! HAHA!

Mods: Why Do People Do It?-frankyboy1.jpg
Old 12-05-11, 04:58 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OSU
+1
GO LSU!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-11, 06:05 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know about many but if you riding rubber bands and 22's or whatever I for sure hope that aint your daily and if it is not your daily you can do what you want. As far as pricing dropping that has nothing to do with age, if a vehicle is fresh and looks like the ls then people are going to buy it and between the bimmer, benz or ls you a boss if you cop the ls instead of the other two because those depreciate like no other.
that's my peace so mod on!!!!

Quick Reply: Mods: Why Do People Do It?